Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 AM
No Cages
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&P Engineering

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM
ZROADSTER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make damn sure your choice of filters include an anti-drain back system along with an automatic by-pass . Dry starts is where most of your engine wear occurs !

Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM
WolfeSynthetics
Banned
Default Oil Filters & anti drain back valves

How long do you think an engine has to sit before it actually makes a dry start? Does an evo motor really need a anti drain back valve? The bypass what put in a filter for what reason?
Enlighten me..

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZROADSTER
Just make damn sure your choice of filters include an anti-drain back system along with an automatic by-pass . Dry starts is where most of your engine wear occurs !
Maybe on a wet sumped engine. However I do agree on the bypass valve. Because every brain back valve filter out there has too small of a micron rating, along with a system designed for low psi and high flow to push it through. At least oil will still circulate, unfiltered, but there will be oil getting to where it needs to go.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
WolfeSynthetics
Banned

Really confused now. Seeing how none of my questions were answered. Has anyone really took the time to tear open a used filter or just watched the videos on utube tearing apart new ones? I just gotta ask this one. On a dry sump motor as you say what sends the oil to the pump? Here let me if i can get you a pic of a fully synthetic media filter that is good for 2xoem specs on road machines with the exception of off road.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

As a rule, I cut open every filter casing at every oil change; only takes a few seconds to get a good look at your media. I've been VERY impressed by the Purolator that was discontinued (WHY???), and disconcerted by the Hi-Flow filters made in 'Nam - not because of the filter itself, but because of RUST on the inside of the housing, which tells me that they are probably stored in the direct wet climate they have. I'm talking about a 3" deeply rusted oval on the inside, which my oil flowed thru.
BTW, there is a scavenge side of your oil pump that picks up the sump oil, as I understand from what I read.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 AM
WolfeSynthetics
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadancer
As a rule, I cut open every filter casing at every oil change; only takes a few seconds to get a good look at your media. I've been VERY impressed by the Purolator that was discontinued (WHY???), and disconcerted by the Hi-Flow filters made in 'Nam - not because of the filter itself, but because of RUST on the inside of the housing, which tells me that they are probably stored in the direct wet climate they have. I'm talking about a 3" deeply rusted oval on the inside, which my oil flowed thru.
BTW, there is a scavenge side of your oil pump that picks up the sump oil, as I understand from what I read.
Speaking of nam and what products are made there the last time I looked so were K&N Air Filters.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I never heard of dry starts until around the late 70's when all the oil additive products came out, and got even worse thru the 80's.
Every engine I've ever torn down was wet as all gitout inside. Well, except for combustion chambers.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Hootor
1st Gear
Default Oil Fiter, Reusable

I'm happy with the PC Racing Flo Aluminum Reusable Oil Filter, built in cooling fins, stainless mesh screen. Running it on my 98 Electra Glide.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Erbie
Tourer

Originally Posted by 007deuce
I have been using harley filter.

According to this site, there are 3 very good filters for twin cam 88.

They are >>

Purolator PL10241 / PL20064
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330

Question, will using any other oil filter other than Harley's void the warranty?
Even a very bad oil filter will pass. It will allow metal fibers thru and wear your engine out at a rapid rate. However, your warranty will be long gone before you are huffing oil past the rings, but your odometer will tell you that your Harely was poorly made because it wore out so fast. Look at the filter box it should tell you some place on it what kind of micro the paper in the filter is the smaller the number the less metal gets thru until to get to a plastic sheet and nothing gets thru including the oil then your warranty may be null and void in a hurry. You have to find somewhere inbetween oil flow and metal flow. There is always metal, it is called normal wear, why most filters have a tiny magnet in them.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use