Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been using the HiFlo for two years now, and agree; best bang for the buck, and since the chrome isn't exactly "show" level, I buff mine out another grit (jeweler's) before putting them on. Haven't seen many show chrome filters anywhere.
See my DIY filter wrench in the mods section.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
kaehler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's gotta be the H-D one for me everytime.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Texasjohn
Intermediate
Default oil filter evo vs tc

I just read...scaned all 35 of these pages concerning oil filters and which is the best. Lots of talk about microns and manufacturs and etc. But apparently noone has had failures or issues. So why 35 pages, didnt you see the the poll at the begining. Any way, I have been repairing H-ds for 17 yrs. ( not that im the best mech on the planet, but) I have never seen problems caused by stock H-D filters on your typical "stock" bikes ( even with horsepower up grades). But heres why i searched this thread.

I just took in a 2001 Carbed Dyna w/ stage 1 upgrade and about 8000 miles. 150 miles Prior to recieving it in my shop some one installeda S&S E carb and changed the oil to Mobil ! and.....heres the kicker....put a stock H-D EVO filter on the bike. No other mods were done. Just an oil change and a carb.
So, here is what happened.
Customer brought in bike with lifter and rocker noise and told me about the recent changes. After a oil pressure test that was withing specs for a stock bike and returning oil to tank was verified i moved on. I opened the push rod tubes to check for possible adjustable push rods he didnt know about being loose or out of adjustment. Stock pusrods but no oil on them.
So we got good oil pressure but no oil on push rods and tubes. Next i removed the rocker covers and fired the engine and found very little oil pressure from oil passages on rockers and a hell of a lot of noise. Lifter failure? But all 4?
Removed the pushrods and lifters and spun the motor over and found good flow to lifter cavities and piston jets. (unmeasureable pressure but good volume/flow).
Put a scope down cylinder through spark plug holes and found no apparent scoring or failure.
Next i opened the gear cover and found typical normal apperance and condition with lots of typical oil coverage on inside. hmmmmm?
At this point I removed the oil filter and thats when i found that the wrong filter was installed. Very easy to do but this is the first time I've seen it. So, is this the problem? The wrong oil filter? Possibly.
A this point i decided that i was going to do a test and see. I was getting oil flow back to the tank and had good pressure so the idea that the pump was fine was pretty much a given.
Reasembled engine with new lifters. Blew out pushrods and rockers and check rocker bushings and shafts for excessive wear, All looked fine so reassembled motor with correct filter and the new lifters. Started the motor without the rocker covers and after a short pump up of lifters it was pumping oil to top end through the rocker arms and on to the top of the valves and oil was all over the bike, lift, and me. Noise quieted way down...remember the rocker covers are still off....
So, i cleaned it up, put on the covers and fuel tank and went for a ride. Took alot of the noise away but it has a rocker noise at about 2200 to 2400 rpm. Cruising speed.
So whats my next step?
Was it the filter's fault?
Has anyone ever run across this?
Screw that nut and bolt together and see what you come up with.
Feel free to call me if youve been through this. John 208-305-7562
The bike is back in my shop after customer took it on a 100 mile poker run.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Doesn't make sense with the clearances checked out - breather valve clog? Wild Guess.

I've run my LAST HiFlow filter - after I cut the last one open to check the media for my tesnioner parts (TwinCam Disease, I calls it) I noticed the can had several large rust spots inside. No telling how long these sat in a Vietnam warehouse. Tensioner parts were caught by the filter though. This is 5k on the oil and filter:

Now running Mobil1V with Amsoil filter.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

John
Curious as to why you didnt cut the filter open ?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Texasjohn
Intermediate

didnjt seem neccesary at the time. Wrong filter...replace and retest. I did look for worn bushings in rockers and actually flipped the rocker shafts. All looked good. no metal/plastic particles anywear. I guess noone read the part that asked if anyone has had this problem. Im sure someone out there has had a bike come in with the wrong filter. Maybe they didnt run it long enough to screw anything up. I guess i'll just disassy the motor and recheck everything. Maybe a reman

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Howdy,

Back in my youth,( a long time ago), when I was a budding Hot Rodder and building a nice 57 Chevy, I was told by all supposedly in the know, both personal contacts and magazine articles, Not to use a chrome oil filter except for a show as the chrome retains much more heat. A painted filter will dissipate heat from the oil much better.
Any thoughts?
I've heard the same many years ago. I was going to chrome the oil bag on my 1976 shovel and the plate shop talked me out of it for that very reason.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Dyanne Cox
Stage I

I havehad two filter start to leak before it's time to change oil on 2011 ultra limited injustice wanting to know if it has happen anyone.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mickey D
I've heard the same many years ago. I was going to chrome the oil bag on my 1976 shovel and the plate shop talked me out of it for that very reason.
If we had to worry about chrome oil bags, one heckuvva lot of us would be in deep. The filter may be another story tho; it sits out in front in the wind, so it may be able to shed some heat.
I liked that idea of those cleanable stainless mesh filters with the finned outer casing, but won't run one since they have massively too large passages for a TC.
As an inventor (how many times a month do I say that...) I think we should have something like that outer casing, but with a replaceable synthetic filter to go inside. It seems so obvious to me - and that was done long ago, only the casing wasn't finned. My old '60 Chevy pickup had one. And to top it all, the filter could be cheaper, not having to be built into a can.

Where are all the so-called "engineers" these days? Can you imagine, a $3-4.00 filter that goes into a sort of an oil cooler? I'd be replacing mine every 3k. WAKE UP YOU DORKS!!!

Last edited by Quadancer; 07-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case someone thinks the difference between 5 microns and 35 microns is huge, here is a site worth spending 2 or 3 minutes on

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.cm/par...zes-d_934.html

This can give an idea how much difference there is between filters...BTW disposable paper filters are rated for the smallest size partial it might stop not how much it will stop. I've been wrong before but that's my understanding.

Well I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken about that.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use