Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
WildBill76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDF Tech
Think of one thing when responding to the magnetic theory, how much of the engine is composed of a ferrous metal? (magnetic) You have alloys, brass and other metals that will swim right by the magnet. In theory , it sounds great but when you give it some thought, it only attracts a very small persentage of the problems that cause damage that are found in the oil.
I use small rare earth magnets ( 4 ) and place them on the end of my oil filter. It is the numerous little things, that add up to a large improvements.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually, that's worth trying if you have strong enough magnets for the filter casing not to block the magnetism, and cut open at change to see if they got anything, despite all the aluminum, brass, and potmetal...oh wait, that's metrics...

Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Wix filters, or a HD filter in a pinch

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Did an oil change on my 2007 FXDL stone cold, some 8000 km's on the 20W50 MCV Amsoil. I always do an oil change when hot as the oil flows out better and I hope more dirt comes with it, but tried just to see what oil remained in the oil filter which is one of the K&P cleanable oil filters. The dip stick indicated that the oil was over filled so I guessed the all the oil in the filter had run back to the sump. Removed the filter and no oil all over the engine mount etc., and it was empty. The K&P has no anti drain back valve as they say any filter with one will drain back all the oil in time. Anyone out here want to check oil level and pull off their filter after sitting for a long time and see if true about the anti drain back valves? The last oil change[hot] before this cold one there was metal in the K&P filter but the cold oil change none. Does that mean the dirt or what have you runs back into the engine so when I removed when cold that is why I found the K&P clean and no metal or dirt in it? Also does that mean all filters allow what ever it has trapped to run back into the sump? Sure makes me wonder now. Too bad the stock filter is mounted the way they are, they should be mounted vertical and there would not be any problem with oil draining back or what ever.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Gotta agree with you there, and a filter without a drainback valve isn't a filter. Many vehicles have filters on sideways, and it's just good mechanics.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Gotta agree with you there, and a filter without a drainback valve isn't a filter.
Disagree...

Some applications do not require an anti-drainback valve, such as the Evo and Shovelhead engines, because the filter is in the oil return side of the curcuit.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

An anti drain back is not all that great, if we let our bikes sit long time the oil will drain back to the sump. On my old FXR the oil bag was above the engine so I would think in time it could all run down to the engine sump and the same would be true for Soft Tails too I would believe, also baggers I have heard too?? Maybe someone who is using an oil filter with the anti drain back valve could try taking off the oil filter and see how much oil remains in it and let us all know just how long it takes to drain back. Check your oil level once a week say and if higher then norm., then chances are the oil in the filter has drained back. Now some oil will be soaked up by the paper but other wise all will find it way back to the sump. Like I said I did a stone cold oil change and there was no oil remaiming in the K&P oil filter. They are much better at flowing oil when cold or hot then the paper oil filters. It has a bypass valve but because it flows so much better would not go into the bypass mode too often so K&P claims and I find I can believe them. I also believe if the oil filter has no oil in it the bikes oil pump will fill the filter back up in a blink of the eye do to the free flow of the filter where as a paper filter will be in it's bypass state for sure when the oil is stone cold. Hope I make some sense. Who ever checks out there oil filter for draining back, thank you. One and all have a great day now eh. My 2 cents or 1

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser

All of these comments about the chrome vs. the black are cracking me up. Do you all think that the purpose of the oil filter is to also be used as an oil cooler? LMAO. Putting a chrome vs Black filter will have extremely little to do with your oil's operating temperature. Any drop of oil will only be in the filter for a second so no heat transfer will take place. At least not enough to be appreciable. You would never be able to notice the difference using a regular thermometer anyway, it would be down in the fraction of degrees. If the chrome filter looks good on your bike, you want to use it and you don't mind spending the extra money for the chrome feel free. And for those of you who wonder about my credentials to make this statement, I have studied thermodynamics and heat transfer. Once again, the purpose, and only purpose of the oil filter is to trap contaminants in the oil, not to act as a heat transfer element.
I do have one question though, not necessarily filter related. Why do so many of you use the same oil in your primary as in the engine? My owners manual states to use the same oil as in the trans. Just curious.

Last edited by Texasbrons; 01-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the HD filter as I intend to change the oil in 4000 miles, I want to see what condition the Amsoil is in and if I deem it good enough will then use the Amsoil filter and extend the changes a bit.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My HiFLO rocks at a fraction of the price for OEM... For some reason they are much smoother getting off when it's time to change. I only use hand pressure to put on and yet stock HD filters have gotten stuck to the point of me having to screwdrive punch >pliers butt first>Screwdriver again for lever, to get these cheesy little fools off.
Can I buy stock options??

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use