Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bypass

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Yeah, and guessing about how the bypass works too.

Very true
Very true

Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 AM
wilks3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&P billet for my 2010 FatBoy. 3 HD techs/2 indy's (ex-HD techs) swear by them.
One said he woundn't put HD filter on a lawn mower. Why won't HD give out beta -ratio on their oil filter?
HD says .012 is ok for crank runout, but you better use our 5 micron oil filter. Right.
wilks3

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM
JWitz
Tourer

I have used the HD Filter and SYN3 since day 1...no worries, no issues....and not that much more expensive.....

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Revnharley

Nanofiber Basics
Because the nanofibers in AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter media are so small, there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop compared to traditional filter medias. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall ability to capture and retain particles.
Oil Filtration Basics
Clean oil is vital to engine performance and durability. Oil must lubricate, cool and clean the engine as it circulates. In order to remain effective, it must be filtered as it cycles. The filter is connected to the engine sump, which contains the oil pump. Full-flow filters pass all the oil output from the pump through the filter.
The function of the oil filter is to remove the contaminants introduced into the lubricating oil and prevent them from reaching sensitive engine parts without restricting normal oil flow to the various points requiring lubrication. Internal sources of contamination include wear products from the rubbing surfaces of the engine, blow-by gases leaking past the rings of the pistons and degradation of the oil itself. A filter must perform well in the areas of efficiency, capacity, flow and life.
Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters
Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters feature a specially constructed silicone anti-drainback valve and a nitrile sealing gasket to go along with the full-synthetic Ea nanofiber media. The anti-drainback valve provides excellent protection during startup and remains flexible in all temperatures, and the nitrile sealing gasket resists chemical breakdown, providing excellent durability and ensuring long filter life. AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters are fluted for easy removal from the motorcycle and are available in a chrome-plated alternative to the normal black filters.
Superior Filtration
The unique construction and full-synthetic media of AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters allow them to provide unmatched performance in motorcycles and other power sports equipment. EaOM Filters last longer, stop smaller dirt particles and offer less restriction than other filters. Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters provide filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, outperforming the best cellulose/synthetic blend media on the market. For maximum engine protection, AMSOIL recommends changing the EaOM every time you change oil.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh goody, quotes from the amsoil sales guides....

Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using the K&P Engineering billet as well for the last 2 years. Like the idea of cleaning it on paper plate to see what comes out.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

I like the Amsoil products but I am using the K&P oil filter now so I can see what the filter removes, where as when using the Amsoil in the past could not. Amsoils oil filters like all the rest may just be in the by pass mode most of the time, for sure when engine and oil cold at start up and for some time till all is warmed up, so then no filtering what so ever. If Amsoil is so great which I think they are to some point. Too bad they do not jump on the band wagon and make a cleanable oil filter too like so many out there on the market. My 2 cents or 1

Last edited by Diesel2; 01-20-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
TLONG
Advanced

i use the k&n filter and its easy to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel2
Amsoils oil filters like all the rest may just be in the by pass mode most of the time, for sure when engine and oil cold at start up and for some time till all is warmed up, so then no filtering what so ever.
I think this is a huge misconception, that engines put out metal shards, ream and grind themselves at startup and need immediate filtration or they'll die a squealling lockup of overheated death on the road.

Consider that you can even turn over a V8 with just a ratchet wrench, or your bike motor by hand. If you take the motor apart, there's OIL all over all the moving parts, and all they really need is a few microns thick. The filters are designed to pass all of the oil through in a certain amount of cycles when it's running, so every bit of oil gets filtered. Just because they bypass doesn't mean they don't filter.
If you have something loose in there large enough to clog an oilway, you have bigger problems than your oil filter, I assure you.

A freshly built engine is a different thing; there's LOTS of crap in the first oil, which is why you should dump it after a ride around the block.

Last edited by Quadancer; 02-24-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser

After installing a S&S pump on my 95 EVO had to go with K&N for better flow, Just got an e mail from K&N tech saying its better filtration then the stock filter

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use