Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this for TC models...

Part Number Manufacturer WIX Part Number
6379899A HARLEY-DAVIDSON 57148
6379899A HARLEY-DAVIDSON 57348

The 57148 (chrome) & 57348 (black) are exact matches and specs, even right down to the 5 micron rating. The "synthetic media technology, the SuperPremium Oil Filters are TEST-CERTIFIED..." Harley advertises must mean "glass media" filter vs a "paper media" b/c the Wix uses a glass filter, I assume fiberglass dunno... Either way the Wix are cheaper online if use buy through companies that deal with fleet sales...

Thank me later. It only took me about 30hrs of research to get this far. Yeah you can use cheaper car filters but they dont meet Harley specs. It appears these two do.

Here's the links I used:

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...artNo=6379899A

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-1...7348&x=18&y=10

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that dont want China or Jap crap on ur bike. I suggest you sale it b/c it comes from Harley with electronics from China already on it. I bought a Drag Specialties oil filter from the local bike shop and it was made in Taiwan lol

Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
razehog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&p engineering reusable oil filter

Has anyone used or heard about the s.s. Reusable oil filter mad by k&p engineering? They are pricey but can be cleaned and re-used and allow more flow which helps cooling. Thx

Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Harleys are high flow engines anyway. I think that part is just hype - a little more flow won't cool the motor any more. There was a big argument over those in one of these oil threads on this forum - the micron size is too large on these screens to match OEM.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 PM
07BlackPearlUltra
2nd Gear

Mobil 1

Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razehog
Has anyone used or heard about the s.s. Reusable oil filter mad by k&p engineering? They are pricey but can be cleaned and re-used and allow more flow which helps cooling. Thx
I use one and like it, someplace on here I've posted my before and after oil analysis sheets. I've only been running it for just under 10K miles but I like it.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 PM
surfcitybum
Road Captain

NAPA or WIX, as they are the same filter.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM
roopy
Novice

You may have to do a little cross referencing. I got a Royal Purple oil filter at Pep Boy's. They are apparently new on the market. With their performance reputation, I thought it would be one of the best out there. It was pricey, but my 02 E-Glide is worth it!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM
sailingwj
Intermediate

Some people don't mind some do...I like chrome myself.....blue great on beaches and sky.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM
sailingwj
Intermediate
Cool Wow

Originally Posted by dynarule
If you want piece of mind then stick with HD filter and oil. There are too many records of people going 100+K on HD oil and filters with out a single problem. Dont buy into all the hype about synthetic oil (Amsoil) that you read on these forums. HD oil has proven itself for a very long time.
I've been using synthetics since the mid 70's and used to hear comments like this back then.....I remember one of my best friends who had a super stock dragster telling me I was nuts trusting that stuff in my new car, (Mobil 1 at the time). About six months later he had to work on a motor with a problem unrelated to the oil...he was a car mechanic....he came to me and apologized as he said he had never seen so little wear and clean engine as one he just tore down and was using Mobil 1. This post statement is from another age....synthetics almost arrest wear in most vehicles and keep the oil ports open....I'm having a hard time even writing this as these arguments are so antiquated. Mineral oils have gotten better but still lag in every comparison.....most important wear and cleanliness. You can use mineral oil and get 100k on a vehicle but the same vehicle with a quality synthetic would have much less wear and cleanliness. Check out the test done with Mobil 1 in Las Vegas cabs.....having said that I believe Amsoil is a little better and their tests are from people of integrity...I'm not a dealer. I wish I had more time for stats and details but do some research the jury came in about 30 years ago.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use