Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,796 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketmangb
All of this and nobody knows how these parts work ?

The drainback valve is used when the bike is not running to keep the oil filter from draining back in to the crankcase thus helping to avoid dry starts !

The bypass valve is exactly that,a by pass !

If the filter media is too restrictive or becomes so with debris the bypass opens to allow oil to flow at around 8 PSI.

Think of this if you will.

You have a can of beverage on the bench,take one finger with 5lbs pressure and slide it to the left.

Now take the other hand and apply enough pressure to stop the slide to the left,now we have 5 lbs on each side so the can is static,you have now taken the can out of bypass !

Once the inner and outer pressure has equalized in the filter the bypass is closed !
Like you said.....if the media is to restrictive it runs in bypass. And since the oil in the motor galleys always has a path back to zero pressure, the pressure never will equalize in the filter.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bypass

As long as the pressure on the outlet side of the filter is equal to the pressure on the inlet side the bypass will not open !

The inlet must exceed the outlet psi by 8 psi to open.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

As long as the pressure on the outlet side of the filter is equal to the pressure on the inlet side the bypass will not open !

The inlet must exceed the outlet psi by 8 psi to open.
Flow is the product of dissimialer pressure between an entry, and exit point. Turn on your garden hose and you have flow. Reduce the available line pressure to atmospheric pressure, and flow ceases. Without more pressure on the non-filtered side of the media, you have no flow through the media. And as long as your oil always has a route to return to the sump, you will have flow, meaning you have dissimialer pressures. The only way to keep the bypass valve closed is to have less than the psi rating of the valve trying to flow through the media. Try lubricating your motor on that. Why do you think they say don't use the 5 micron HD filter on the Sportster's?? Because the oiling system of those are a high volume/low pressure system,(12-15 psi on mine according to the manual). But the BT's have enough pressure to unseat the bypass valve and keep sufficient oil flowing to your motor.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Default Bypass

You guys still dont get it !

If the bypass is always open no oil is being filtered

Old 05-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Without more pressure on the non-filtered side of the media, you have no flow through the media.
There is always flow thru the media, unless it becomes clogged. You said yourself that there is no resistance to flow on the return side of the filter:

And as long as your oil always has a route to return to the sump, you will have flow, meaning you have dissimialer pressures.
The only way to keep the bypass valve closed is to have less than the psi rating of the valve trying to flow through the media. Try lubricating your motor on that.
This is EXACTLY what is happening in the BT's when using the Purolator - idle pressure is around 10 lbs. and bypass is at 12: ALL the oil is filtered when it idles. The motor still gets what it requires from what passes thru the media.

the BT's have enough pressure to unseat the bypass valve and keep sufficient oil flowing to your motor.
This is the way ALL bypass filtered systems work; oil is in bypass, but some of it is constantly being filtered, as you said before. After a few cycles through the motor, all the oil has been thru the filter as well when running at speed. The idea here is that this allows for finer filtration. It's not like the engine is dumping a constant supply of crap into the oil.
Some of this info I got from the Purolator tech who finally talked to me after a couple weeks of bugging them. While we are agreed on most of it, I'm still wondering how much flow you have in your motor if your idle pressure doubled like that, but it's probably still enough. I suspect that the bypass setting on the PP may be higher instead of filtration being finer, to give you the additional pressure on the gauged side. I don't think my manual has an oil flow chart, so I'm not sure yet how this matters until I see one.
Never too old to learn.

Last edited by Quadancer; 05-30-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Some of this info I got from the Purolator tech who finally talked to me after a couple weeks of bugging them. While we are agreed on most of it, I'm still wondering how much flow you have in your motor if your idle pressure doubled like that, but it's probably still enough. I suspect that the bypass setting on the PP may be higher instead of filtration being finer, to give you the additional pressure on the gauged side. I don't think my manual has an oil flow chart, so I'm not sure yet how this matters until I see one.
Never too old to learn.
The PP filter flows 22 GPM, way beyond anything my oil pump will put out. My OP gauge is coming off the oil pump as well, so it's a true reading.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer

The Sportster engine has a check valve on the outlet side of the the filter that requires 6 PSI to open so the engine sees no oil untill the pump is making a minimum of 6 PSI so if we have 6 PSI on the outlet when the engine is running and the bypass requires 8 PSI differential pressure (key word here is differential)to open do we not need 14 PSI differential to open the bypass ?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer

And BTW i also have a PP filter and i believe the bypass is set much higher than 8 PSI

Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

And BTW i also have a PP filter and i believe the bypass is set much higher than 8 PSI
I don't know whay it is either. But you gave me an idea to check it next time I have it off. I have a 25lb digital scale that I will set a small enough socket on, set the bypass ball in the socket, and push down till I see movement.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Whiskeytower101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im still not understanding this on the purolator web site?
I mean a bike is a vehicle correct?
What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use