Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
bizarro
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Harley filter. Disassembled all that come off my ride. Built very well and made in USA. If the only filter I could get made in America was a tin can and roll of toilet paper...It'd be roll'n on American Iron.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MC Chief4
Filters are rated by size of particles they remove. The Harley filter is 32 microns if I am not mistaken. That is not a really great particle remover but is great for flow. You can check with the supplier on the size of particles that are trapped. I would not reccomend to great of a reduction in size because of the need to maintain flow. I use a wix at half the price, available at most auto parts dealers.
I did my research also, and although you need to maintain flow, the TC engines require 5 micron filtration - I assume this is because of the cooling jets on the pistons and other tight clearances? The flow is maintained by the bypass. Paper media is the bottom of the barrel for filtration and flow, so that led me to the Purolater filters for MC's. So I guess it depends on which Harley you have. I'm running the Purolater now and pressures look good, if not slightly higher when cold.
Wish I'd done the research before voting in the poll!

Last edited by Quadancer; 05-05-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Dannell53
Advanced

My HD Dealer said the oil was going up again very soon, wonder what the reason will be this time ?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Tony Francia
Stage I
Smile Bubblehead

Recently I did a detailed google search of oil filter performance. Best I found was Purolator Pure One. They remove carbon particles down to around 10 microns. All my vehicles use Redline lubricants and Pure One Oil filters. After the switch to Pure One filters I noticed my oil stayed a beautiful golden color longer: which to me indicates superior filtration. My previous filter was Fram. They were the worst performer of all the filters I found in my research.

Have a good day.

Just got my first Harley. Electra glide classic

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I use Drag Specialties filters myself. Chrome finish, never had any problem out of em. about $12 each though.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tony Francia
Recently I did a detailed google search of oil filter performance. Best I found was Purolator Pure One. They remove carbon particles down to around 10 microns. All my vehicles use Redline lubricants and Pure One Oil filters. After the switch to Pure One filters I noticed my oil stayed a beautiful golden color longer: which to me indicates superior filtration. My previous filter was Fram. They were the worst performer of all the filters I found in my research.

Have a good day.

Just got my first Harley. Electra glide classic
That's the reason I got the slightly higher pressure when cold I think; tighter filtration. That said, it has a 12 lb. bypass - which means your oil is totally getting filtered when idling (mine idles at around 10 lbs.). Purolator ROCKS!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Phil_Barone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDF Tech
Let's get a sampling of the type of oil filter you use when you change your oil on your bike.
I clicked on HD but that just because it's convenient. PB

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Phil_Barone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDF Tech
Let's get a sampling of the type of oil filter you use when you change your oil on your bike.
Harley Davidson

Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Someone on one of these oil threads cut open a bunch of used filters. Two that looked pretty shitty were the HD and Fram. Another guy cut open the new ones, to look at the filter materials. I can't recall the name of the thread.
I'm totally sold on Purolator since the research. Bike likes it too, and it is also chrome. I have built and installed an oil cooler to take care of the chrome heat retention.
Plus it looks cool.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
kperkins
Intermediate

Harley Davidson

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use