Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Velani

HD and many manufacturies of these things start out with a

One, an Engine. in this case inline, front to rear.

Two, the Primary area is the connection between the engine and the transmission with a clutch in there also. Most use a force multipilier to gain extra everage. Hd uses sprokets with double row chains. and has for about 100 years, actually has.

Three, the transmission. Transmission has a output sproket that connects to the rear wheel sproket.

These are the three holes that require lubrication. In the HD and some others these are separate from each other with the late models

Each has its own unequie requirements as they each do a seperate job.

the Engine---Engine oil. Million choices. use the best. Million openions

the Primary---I use a light oil for lubrication and cooling. ATF is fine. Clutch is like a Automatic type in design.

The Transmission --- a gear oil about 90 Wt. and this can have EP additives as it doesn't contact the clutch.

Everybody has all kind of, mostly good, ideas about all this.

As far as what to use and where.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 10-21-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats food for though is the tiny holes the TC has for piston cooling jets.
And the plain bearings used in the outside areas of the cams.
I keep meaning to, next time I'm at the HD shop, to look at these cooling jets.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM
velani
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Whats food for though is the tiny holes the TC has for piston cooling jets.
And the plain bearings used in the outside areas of the cams.
I keep meaning to, next time I'm at the HD shop, to look at these cooling jets.
Thanks for taking the time to explain Old Gunny. Much appreciated.

I have a 2005 883c Sportster Custom and have changed engine oil and transmission oil (Formula +) by opening the big round cover, I have not seen any other hole or lubrication that I might have missed changing, or have I?

Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

An independent study showed K&N filters fitered the greatest amount of oil on a single pass thru the filter than all comers.

Yes but on that single pass thru., the filter, what was the smallest micron the filter removed and the precentage it has removed for the KN filter as per the industry standard ISO 4548-12 etc? The HD claims that their filter is a 5 micron, but again how many passes to remove that small and the precentage it removed, also to what industry standard are they testing it?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most Harley's if not all Harley's are operated in a low dust and non harsh environment (meaning not in the sandy desert or in the mud). Also most Harley Owners change their oil pretty regular to protect their engine. This being said, any filter made by a major manufacturer is more than sufficient for filtration of oil running thru it. The filter manufacturers that claim they filter better than others is really just overkill. I was a mechanic for 13 years, and in that time I never saw where people that used high dollar filters got any better service life on their engines. However good quality oil does play a large role in longer engine service life as does frequent oil changes. Just my.02 cents worth.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-29-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Most oil filters for our Harleys are just car oil filters that they put a diff., PN on and call them motorcycle oil filters. The Wix for one, on the Wix site shows all the cars it will fit including lawn & garden ., and farm equip.. The by-pass valve setting is 8-11 psi, which most are in the by-pass mode most of the time for sure at start -up and who knows how long there after starting. The nominal micron rating is "only 21 microns", not very good. The filter does not sound like an oil filter that I would want on my 2007 FXDL and therefore will never use one. Most of the filters out there are not that well made. I have been using the Amsoil filter in black only as not to waste some 6 dollars more for a chrome one. I also use the OEM one in black from time to time. I have been thinking of getting a K&P oil filter, the ones thet you can remove ,wash out and reuse. Each their own.

Last edited by Diesel2; 02-02-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't know if anyone uses these for anything, but I wouldn't.,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZT8aMlARY&NR=1

Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
joe6077
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow good info on the filters I have never seen that before thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 AM
twowheel99
6th Gear

I use a K&P cleanable filter unit and I love it, drain the oil remove it clean it in a small wash dish let it dry and reinstall. No more oil filters to throw away and I can easly examining whats going on in my oiling system without cutting the filter apart. I would highly reccomend this filter to everyone, for more info just google it. http://www.kandpengineering.com/
I know the person that I bought mine through another forum, and it usually will do a group buy, let me know and I can try to arrange it if there is enough interest......
Peace Out

Last edited by twowheel99; 02-04-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

I went and bought one of the K&P oils filters in all black and will install shortly. I also like that they will help the oil to run cooler too.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use