Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a popular site out there that many point to for a solid analysis of alternative oil filters for just about any bike. I noticed the recommendation for most of the HD product line was a [3] on this cross reference. Looking down to see what [3] meant are several filter choices. The recommended filters are highlighted in blue. I became very curious when I saw two Supertech filters listed, so I had my wife pick one up at Wal-Mart. When she returned home and I got it in my hand, I discovered it was the same filter size that I use on my lawn mower. No problem...it still could be a good filter, but I was curious as to why he would recommend one this small. He listed several other well known cross-filters like the Bosch 3330 and the Mobil1 1-102 and even the Wix 51348. He did not list the Supertech ST 3614 or 3600, both of which are made by Champion and we have already read a post in this thread supporting this filters compliance with the HD OEM product.

I e-mailed him to inquire about the recommendation to use the small Supertech filter and his response was "you know...I would just go ahead and use the Harley filter...it's a good product".

I have used and will continue to use the good aftermarket cross-filters, but I was a bit surprised to have him not defend what he published, or just admit to a typo. This site has lots of very good information and it is very apparent a lot of work went into his study and publication, but it makes you wonder if anything else on that particular site is of much value.

It is: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
dnewman007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
There is a popular site out there that many point to for a solid analysis of alternative oil filters for just about any bike. I noticed the recommendation for most of the HD product line was a [3] on this cross reference. Looking down to see what [3] meant are several filter choices. The recommended filters are highlighted in blue. I became very curious when I saw two Supertech filters listed, so I had my wife pick one up at Wal-Mart. When she returned home and I got it in my hand, I discovered it was the same filter size that I use on my lawn mower. No problem...it still could be a good filter, but I was curious as to why he would recommend one this small. He listed several other well known cross-filters like the Bosch 3330 and the Mobil1 1-102 and even the Wix 51348. He did not list the Supertech ST 3614 or 3600, both of which are made by Champion and we have already read a post in this thread supporting this filters compliance with the HD OEM product.

I e-mailed him to inquire about the recommendation to use the small Supertech filter and his response was "you know...I would just go ahead and use the Harley filter...it's a good product".

I have used and will continue to use the good aftermarket cross-filters, but I was a bit surprised to have him not defend what he published, or just admit to a typo. This site has lots of very good information and it is very apparent a lot of work went into his study and publication, but it makes you wonder if anything else on that particular site is of much value.

It is: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
I looked at the Super Tech filter that was in the article and it is much smaller than the st3614. If you go to Champion Labs website and look up the filter for a HD 96" engine it will give you the Champion number and you can cross reference it to the ST 3614. The ST 3614 is a little Smaller than the HD factory filter. I have been using the ST3614 on my SEUC for a long time with no problems. To each his own.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Road Warrior

I agree 007. I run synthetic oil and change my filters at around 2,500 mile intervals and my oil at around 5,000. I would rather throw away a $4 filter than a $10 filter. I also run some of the others like the Bosch 3330 at a cost of around $5.50. I have cut several open and have yet to find one collapsed or damaged internally. A screen door will catch a 1 micron particle on occasion, so I am not impressed about the Harley hype over the 5 micron filter. It may catch a few now and then, but any good filter will. All that is required on the twin cam is an anti drain back valve, a low pressure relief valve and a good filter element. If you get the filter element "too good" that can also lead to other problems like oil flow.

I found it interesting looking at the pole results to see where lots of folks are running the Fram and many Fram-made products as well as the K&N and the Amsoil. These two filters are usually on the "don't buy" list when you see filter analysis data. Just goes to show you that you could likely run about anything on one and the expert analysis is likely worthless. I am sure the K&N and Amsoil filters are fine and do a good job. I change mine long before they get anywhere near used-up anyway.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I agree 007. I run synthetic oil and change my filters at around 2,500 mile intervals and my oil at around 5,000. I would rather throw away a $4 filter than a $10 filter. I also run some of the others like the Bosch 3330 at a cost of around $5.50. I have cut several open and have yet to find one collapsed or damaged internally. A screen door will catch a 1 micron particle on occasion, so I am not impressed about the Harley hype over the 5 micron filter. It may catch a few now and then, but any good filter will. All that is required on the twin cam is an anti drain back valve, a low pressure relief valve and a good filter element. If you get the filter element "too good" that can also lead to other problems like oil flow.

I found it interesting looking at the pole results to see where lots of folks are running the Fram and many Fram-made products as well as the K&N and the Amsoil. These two filters are usually on the "don't buy" list when you see filter analysis data. Just goes to show you that you could likely run about anything on one and the expert analysis is likely worthless. I am sure the K&N and Amsoil filters are fine and do a good job. I change mine long before they get anywhere near used-up anyway.
Changing your filter and not the oil is like putting on clean underwear with out taking a shower!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Road Warrior

I know....but it can still make you feel better. I just hate to throw that $9 synthetic away at 2500 so I settle for tossing the dirty filter at 2500. I actually know guys that change their filter every-other oil change...now that is like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Might do a little better price wise going to something other than HD but just sort of feel warm and fuzzy using theirs

Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

HD oil has proven itself so Harley claims, but synthetics have also proven their selfs also as synthetics are a much better choice. I have been using the Amsoil now for about 20 some years in cars[gas & diesel], lawnmore, snow blower ,weed eaters, motorcycles and what have you and tried other oils out there that claim they are so good and nothing I have found comes even close to the Amsoil. My first choice is the Amsoil and my second choice would be the Mobil V Twin 20W50 oil. Belray and HD oil are two of my last choices. Each their own, use what ever filter and oil that makes one happy. I have used the Amsoil, filter and oil and gone some 16,000 km's between oil changes for the engine and primmary with no problems. The trans., I change at 20,000 km's as called for or at 16,000 km's with the engine and primmary. Again, Each their own, use what ever filter and oil that makes one happy. As for an anti drain back valve in the filter, fill the filter with oil and lay on it's side and the oil will drain out in time and when on the bike and hot will drain back[out] even faster. Up here the Amsoil and Harley oil filters are close to the same price, some $13.00 dollars each for the black ones. The chrome ones, I would not waste my money on them as they are some $6.00 dollars more each and would hold in the heat, only a small amount but still not my choice.

Last edited by Diesel2; 10-14-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 AM
velani
Stage IV

I am new to HD and Sporsters, so please go easy

I am confused when someone mentions, Engine and "Primary", and then transmission fluid. What am I missing? I do not get "Primary" oils....

I thought there were only 2 oils to change, engine and transmission. Can someone please clarify my understanding?

I just replaced my engine oil with Shell RotellT 15w40 and transmission with Formula+. What have I missed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just about 100 % with diesel2. Amsoil or Redline and third is Mobil1.

I do use the HD filter on my 087 solftail as the 5 micron is a tight thing and not many makers have them except for Fulflo.
I do change the filter twice as ofter as the oil ans a 5 micron got to load up pretty quick.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An independent study showed K&N filters fitered the greatest amount of oil on a single pass thru the filter than all comers. That "micron thing" is mostly marketing. Sure, the smaller the perforation in the filter material, the smaller the foreign material gets back to the motor. But, how many times does the oil, that gets bypassed in the HD filter, have to travel before the stuff gets trapped. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use