Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
GBeck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changed to a K&P Engineering lifetime filer. While I'm not banking on the quoted possibility of HP increase, I do hope that the lessening of flow restriction will help the motor.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

WOW, look how many people choose Harley's filter over Amsoil's. Looks like 7 to 1. I guess that's because every Harley that leaves the factory, has the same filter you get at the dealer. Amsoil can make alot of unprovable claims like all the oil company's do. Sometimes you need to trust the simple things and use what thousands of other have tested beforehand without issues.,,

Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel2
Likely true, but is there a real need to filter better than an HD filter?
It's not like you have buckets of shrapnel floating through your motor.

Yes the better the filter the better. The Amsoil filters as they claim are the best at filtering out there. They provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, while competitive filters containing conventional cellulose medias range from 40 to 80 percent efficiency. Any spin on full flow oil filter out there will not filter 1 micron, a good bypass oil filter will. The Harley filter claiming to filter 5 micron is very hard to believe, in fact lets see proof that their filter even comes close, after it is so dirty then maybe the dirt itself will filter that small ,but by that time the by-pass in the filter is opening and then no filtered oil what so ever. I am getting the Amsoil for just about the same price as the HD Perm., oil filter. Each their own, I guess. have a great day now eh.
You do change your oil once in a while, don't you?

Your post implies that you run it for endless miles that need rocket science technologies to get the most microscopic pc of dirt from being suspended in your oil.

I dump mine out the drain plug once in a while. LOL

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GBeck, How do you like the KP oil filter so far? I want to get one and install to help cool the oil and hope it filters as well as most of the crap they call filters. As for oil filters to use everyone, each their own wright? As for the HD oil filters Harley has claimed a lot like not to use a Syn., oil, but now they have their own syn, oil go figure eh. Use what every makes one happy for sure.

Last edited by Diesel2; 10-09-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel2
......... As for oil filters to use everyone, each their own wright?
wright.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil filters

I can tell you what i believe
After di-secting both the Harley 5 micron filter and the Amsoil filter they both appear to use a media made by Donaldson
Both nice looking filters inside.
I would say the Harley filter is made by Purolater/Champ Labs/Baldwin/Luberfiner filter which are all the same company
The Amsoil appears to be built by Wix filter who builds the Napa and Carquest filters.
At this point the only filters using the synthetic media appear to be Harley and Amsoil.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
wright.
wright again

Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I was just thinking........I've personally never saw an engine failure due to a substandard oil filter. Thats just me though.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
velani
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic is right on and the timing for me could not have been better.

I spent little over an hour or so today buying filter, oil and transmission fuild for my 5 day old purchase of a 2005 883c Sportster. It has 4,800 miles on it when I bought it.

Not wanting to take chances, I bought a HD Chrome filter, Formula + Trans fluid and now I see this thread. Quite good information.

I would not mind looking for Amsoil Oil filter for my next change but where does one buy it for around/less than $11.19 I paid for HD filter?

Also, I would also not mind finding out where one would buy Belray Tran fluid for next change, but also, where would one buy it for $7.29 I paid at HD dealer for Formula +?

Now my last question. I bought Shell RotellaT engine oil 15w40 for NC area. Is that a good oil and viscocity? Or should I look around for 20w50?

Thanks,

Velani

Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velani
This topic is right on and the timing for me could not have been better.

I spent little over an hour or so today buying filter, oil and transmission fuild for my 5 day old purchase of a 2005 883c Sportster. It has 4,800 miles on it when I bought it.

Not wanting to take chances, I bought a HD Chrome filter, Formula + Trans fluid and now I see this thread. Quite good information.

I would not mind looking for Amsoil Oil filter for my next change but where does one buy it for around/less than $11.19 I paid for HD filter?

Also, I would also not mind finding out where one would buy Belray Tran fluid for next change, but also, where would one buy it for $7.29 I paid at HD dealer for Formula +?

Now my last question. I bought Shell RotellaT engine oil 15w40 for NC area. Is that a good oil and viscocity? Or should I look around for 20w50?

Thanks,

Velani
If you want piece of mind then stick with HD filter and oil. There are too many records of people going 100+K on HD oil and filters with out a single problem. Dont buy into all the hype about synthetic oil (Amsoil) that you read on these forums. HD oil has proven itself for a very long time.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use