Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Big Mess (no oil pressure/missing c-clips)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big Mess (no oil pressure/missing c-clips)

The following is repeated in the Dyna section.

Hello All.

The Bike is a 02 Dyna Wide Glide.

Let’s start from the beginning. I sent out my heads to cycle Rama, and had em send me their 100hp/100tq set up (Pistons {95 inch}, cams, lifters). In Addison, I added the new
SE oil pump and camp plate (the black one). S&S gear drive for the cams and Daytona Tec ignition. 44 CV carb. Everything was working great, but I thought that the lifters
Where a little too chatty.

First time I put it together, I messed up the front cylinder valve adjustment and on start up, it was ticking like mad, and I heard a 'pop' before shut down. I reajusted the
Push rods and everything was running ok.... But I figured that one of the lifters was damaged, so I planned on replacing the lifters.

But first, I was turned on to a cheap pair of roller rocker arms ( http://www.fastengineparts.com/products_view.php?id=2222). You get what you pay for... The roller tips are held in place
with tiny c-clips on the ends of the roller shafts. I clearance the rocker covers for the extra height of the rocker arms, and installed them in. Everything was working Ok. Cold weather
set in, so it was on the back burner until about two weeks ago. Tearing it down to replace the lifters the front cylinder roller rocker arm shed its little c-clips, and they are no where
To be found. I pulled the cam cover to see if they where in there, but no dice. I figured that they were in the bottom of the oil pan, or in the bottom of the engine case, or chewed up
by now (I had driven about 150 miles with the roller rocker arms). I tossed em, and stuck the originals back in. Iput in the new lifters, made the adjustments, and started it up.

No oil pressure. 0

I didn't plug in a oil pressure tester.. didn’t have to... Clacking like a model T.

Well, must be the c-clips (2) clogging up something I figure. So I tear it down. Pulled the cam plate and oil pump, and everything is super clean (SE oil pump doesn’t have a rubber
o-ring around the gator gears like the old one did, jfyi). All the oil passages are clear, but still no sign of the little clips.I put everything back in, changed the oil filter, and the oil. I
put about a quart in the top of the push rod tubes to fill the cam chest a little to help prime the pump. No Dice.. Still no pressure. I pulled the cam plate again, and checked the
spring plunger... everything looks great... no damage at all, and all passages are clear.

What can you make of all this mess? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hawk