Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil change with out the mess ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
CardsFanOne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change with out the mess ?

Is there any way to change the oil with out getting so much oil everywhere. Ibought one of thosedeals where you put it under the filter and then you take the filter off it is supposed to catch the oil and direct itwherever you have it going.Every time I use it I make just as much of a mess I did with out it. It seems that when you take the filter off it falls into the "funnel" and make a large mess. There isn't much room to get a hold of the filter with the funnel in the way.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Oil change with out the mess ?

Some people cut a 1 litre platic pop jug and use it to fit under the filter and as a funnel. Easier & way cheaper. You cut the bottom and one side out so the oil filter wrench fits onto the filter.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

after i break loose i put a double plastic grocery bag over the filter and unscrew it into the bag.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a rag under the filter then put a piece of cardboard (like 12 inches long)on top the rag and under the filter bent to act like a funnel. Unscrew the filter and let the oil run down the cardboard into the oil bucket. Between that and the rag - don't seem to get anything on the engine.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried cut out plastic Coke bottles, mail order plastic tray thingies, tin foil, ziploc bags, etc. and none has worked successfully in preventing a mess. So I just punch a hole in the end of the filter with a nail & drain it into a plastic bag, then screw the filter off & try to get as much in the bag as possible. Regardless of my efforts to minimize the mess, oil usually winds up on everything so I just bust out the Brakleen brake cleaner & spray everything clean.

Brakleen is a whole lot cheaper than the mail order trays that don't work, and if you start out with a six-pack and the knowledge that you're about to make a helluva mess, you're far less likely to get pissed & start throwing things...

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM
CardsFanOne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a shot.

ORIGINAL: XKROME

after i break loose i put a double plastic grocery bag over the filter and unscrew it into the bag.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I normally have used foil.Recently tried the plastic bottle ,what a f--- mess.Going back to the foil next time!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
wydopn231
Banned

i just bent a peice of aluminum up and fit under filter shaped it like funnel and put drain pan under it.Not perfect but helped.And brakeclean cheap wally word has it for less than 2 bucks a can.compared to cost of dealer oil change im haed lots of beer.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
watercop
Cruiser

I changed my oil and filter today on my 06 RKC. I tried the "gear lube" bottle with the bottem cut off and the rest of the bottle cut in half length wise. I use Mobil 75/90 syn in the transmission and the modifiedbottle worked very well. The plastic isflexible enough to tuck it all the way under the oil filter. I didnt spill a drop. Very handy tip.

Randy

Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: CardsFanOne

Is there any way to change the oil with out getting so much oil everywhere. Ibought one of thosedeals where you put it under the filter and then you take the filter off it is supposed to catch the oil and direct itwherever you have it going.Every time I use it I make just as much of a mess I did with out it. It seems that when you take the filter off it falls into the "funnel" and make a large mess. There isn't much room to get a hold of the filter with the funnel in the way.
I take some aluminum foil and bend it into a mini "tray" and slip it underneath the filter. It keeps the mess to a minumum, but there is still some leakage.... you really can't avoid it.

Quick Reply: Oil change with out the mess ?