Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level question

I tried doing a search but didn't really find what I needed so here's my question. I just got my new 2006 Sportster home from the dealership today and they said they did a full fluids change and everything, but I'm wondering if they really did. They had to order me a new manual so I have nothing to reference this to. I just checked the oil, cold and on kickstand, and there's only a really small amount of oil clinging to the bottom of the dipstick. I see the two marks on the stick so I assume it has to be somewhere between there but the first mark is only about a 1/8 inch or so off the tip of the stick and that's where the oil is sitting. I looked down in the tank and the oil is pretty far down. I saw a picture on another site that showed oil right to the opening of the tank.

Just wondering if I'm good or if I need to get some oil in the thing.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil level question

I posted an answer in the Sportster forum where you have this question also...I re read your question again, and as long as the oil is touching the low mark, you're good. Here it is from the '07 manual. Yours is an '06, but oil filling and checking is the same.

"Oil Level Cold Check"
1. Position motorcycle so that it is leaning on juffy stand on level ground.
2. Remove filler cap. Wipe attached dipstick clean. Reinstall oil filler cap in tank.
3. Remove oil filler cap again and check oil level on dipstick. Dipstick has two marks. If oil level is at or below lower mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to a point between the two arrows on the dipstick. Replace filler cap.

"Oil Level Hot Check"
1. Run engine until engine oil is at normal operating temperature. Turn engine off.
2. Position motorcycle so that it is leaning on jiffy stand on level ground.
3. Remove filler cap. Wipe attached dipstick clean. Reinstall oil filler cap in tank.
4. Remove filler cap again and check warm oil level on dipstick. Dipstick has two marks. If oil level in tank is at or below lower mark, add one quart of Harley-Davidson oil to tank. Replace filler cap.
5. Place filler cap/dipstick back into oil tank. (um..didn't we just do that in step 4?)
6. If you added oil in step 4, remove filler cap and verify correct engine oil level in oil tank. Do not fill oil tank to the level above upper mark on dipstick. Replace filler cap.

"Engine Lubrication"
...If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not available, use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable diesel engine oil designations include: CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4.

"Recommended Engine Oils".........SAE 20W50.....lowest ambient temp. above 40*F.

I rode all winter. Yes, it gets colder in Delaware than in Texas, but I'm talkin' about riding infreezing temps. 20W50 works below 40*. Just let the engine warm up a bit so the oil has time to heat up and work through all the parts it's supposed to get to.

Teek

Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thx for taking the time to post twice, especially typing out the manual for me. I appreciate it.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Run the bike until oil is hot....shut down....wait 4 minutes for the oil to return to tank....check. Should be just below the high mark. If too much siphon off some and repeat. If too little add 2-3 ounces and repeat.