Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM
hitchhiker2706
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high oil pressure

Greetings all.
Need help from the knowledgable ones out there about oil pressure. Reading my pressure guage sometimes shows 9 lbs at idle and 32 when riding, as it's supposed to be I'm told. After a pretty significant oil overfill (bout 1/2 quart plus) and about 400 miles, I noticed the guage was now reading much higher, suchas well past 32 when rpm's are up. low end is well above 9. bout the time of the overfill the bike started running much rougher and noisier..doesn't feel or sound right. have noticed some shiny stuff appearing on the tips of my tailpipes that looks and feels suspiciously like oil. Am i heading for serious engine problems here?? I had none of the usual overflow problems that I've heard about -dipstick blows out of the whole, oil runs out the air system,,nothing so obvious...just poor idle and cruising, way excessive vibration and a lot of excessive heat. anyone got any thoughts on what the problem might be please???? If i have to take it to the stealer hopefully I'll get enough info from all of you that will help me discuss intelligently the issue with the service manager!

Thank you in advance

Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: high oil pressure

It may be overflowing into the air cleaner and the engine is sucking it in the intake. Check your sparkplugs to see if they are oil fouled. I hope you drained off the excess overfill. If the plugs are oil fouled replace them and open up the air cleaner and see if the filter is clogged as well. Would not hurt to give it some carb/Tb cleaner as well. Then if this is all true add about 2oz of gumout fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas and go for a 100 mile freeway ride.