Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

NoBody Really Knows-Do They?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NoBody Really Knows-Do They?

API rating of H-D oil?
ILSAC rating of H-D oil?
Additive package of H-D oil?

But everybody elses is better cause they have used it for a long time in everything they own. People claim H-D oil is outsourced to the lowest bidder and that is probably right as long as the specs are met according to H-D. What are those specs...well nobody really knows do they. There is no API specification on the oil because they are not trying to compete with other oil manufacturers for a share of the oil market. This oil is blended acccording to H-D specs for H-D. It is lab tested and durability tested on their engines over many, many miles and varying conditions. It works or they wouldn't sell it or recommend it. H-D does not tell you that their oil is the best thing since sliced bread for your car, truck, snowmobile, boat or lawnmower and they do not recommend their oil for any other applications other than H-D.Do you reallyknow how your oil stacks up against the H-D oils.
And No I wouldn't use Ford or GM oil in my new vehicle....I would however use any oil that met whatever API rating Ford or GM specified to meet or exceed the Ford or GM specification for their oil. Well there aint one for H-D....the closest we get to a specification is the DIESEL ratings recommended if youjust gotta add oil and no H-D is available.....then change as soon as possible back to 100% H-D....
I know some oils have both ratings for gas and diesel.....but why is this? To gain a larger share of the market?
Oil can be API certified by making it just past the bare minimum qualifications for the rating...is your oil one of them? Oil is the life blood of the engine...I don't think that H-D would skimp on quality knowing that OIL could make or break their engines.

It is easy for me to decide....oil made for my bike by the manufacturer and I don't have to worry about it making the grade. Is there bettter oil out there? Possibly but who has time tested the stuff in an H-D engine like H-D does. Maybe Amsoil or Mobil 1 or Castrol makes H-D oil, now what are we gonna say?

There are a lot of opinions based on the oil subject and this was mine, But Who Really Knows?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Default RE: NoBody Really Knows-Do They?

[sm=confused06.gif]and your point is?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it TWO people know......................................

The Shadow AND Chavezl The Shadow ain't talkin' cause he "walks by night"and Chavez doesn't speak English !

Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

Actually, I believe that there are those who truely know. Who? Those that have their oils sampled. I KNOW the oil I'm using works, because I continue to monitor it: by lab analysis, feel, sound, temp, etc. Many pieces to the puzzle, but when I see lab results that my wear is way down, my temps are way down, my engine feels and sounds good - I KNOW. Use your Harley oil if it makes you feel good, but you won't know until you test it. I'll bet you only run Dunlop tires too, right? You must, Harley puts their name on them, so they MUST be Harley tested and Harley approved.
That "Harley" mentality just amazes me.
Good luck to you in all you do. Ride safe.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: twiceretired

Actually, I believe that there are those who truely know. Who? Those that have their oils sampled. I KNOW the oil I'm using works, because I continue to monitor it: by lab analysis, feel, sound, temp, etc.

Many pieces to the puzzle, but when I see lab results that my wear is way down, my temps are way down, my engine feels and sounds good - I KNOW.
As compared to what other oil?

Use your Harley oil if it makes you feel good, but you won't know until you test it.
It has been tested time and time again by Harley andthat is whyit is recommended. They know it works and it supports longevity of the engine and other components.

I'll bet you only run Dunlop tires too, right? You must, Harley puts their name on them, so they MUST be Harley tested and Harley approved.
As a matter of fact..these too have been tested and approved for stability and handling. Dunlop is Goodyear and I like them too. Michelins have now been added to the line up..they have been tested and approved by H-D also. Remember we are talking 2 wheels and not 4 and things like stability and handling are important to me. I like them and will continue to buy them. They haven't failed me yet.

That "Harley" mentality just amazes me.
As an OE manufacturer H-D is liable for all that it sells. Testing and safety is part of the manufacturing and retailing process. I attribute 105 years in the business to that idea.
Good luck to you in all you do. Ride safe.
You too!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I know......aand I'm not tellin.......

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

I have to ask, and this is a serious question, not a smart a$$ crack. Looking at your sig., you either have a ton of motorcycles, or you trade every year. How many miles do you run on any given bike before you trade/sell it?
And when I say that I test my oil, my comment is intended to suggest that every motorcycle, especially considering how it's ridden and/or treated, may respond differently to different oils. The oil I use works in my bike, for me. May not for you. If Harley's oil works for you, good enough.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Regular HD360 oil is manufactured by Citgo under the name of Citgo 500. http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/10004B.pdf

Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 AM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil sampling IMO has a lot more to do with analyzing how well the engine was originally engineered and whether or not it was properly assembled, and if it's about to grenade, than it does as a test of the oil's quality.

I've known people who've run HD 360 for 100k mileswith no trouble whatever that was oil related, and I've also known people who've run the gamut of oils from HD 360 to whatever type synthetic you care to name who've had trouble, also not oil related. I have yet to know anyone who has had an engine failure that could honestly be attributed to the failure of the oil itself.

Folks tend to drive themselves nuts over this type of thing, why I don't know. Read this forum for all the proof necessary. Same with oil temps. Good God, 230 degrees operating oil temp in the average car would be a trip to the grocery store on a cool day. 270 plus in hot summer driving is not all that unusual in the average car, but HD people start to go nuts if their oil temp rises much above 220.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 AM
GzrGld
Intermediate

Oil has three basic functions. Cool, Lubricate, and Remove Deposits. As long as your oil does that, it is doing it's job, and you are not going to have engine failure due to oil. I work for an engine manufacturer, albeit not Harley, believe me when I tell you that an engine is an engine. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars, that's right I said MILLIONS of dollars to test oils and come up with "specs" that are "recommended" for thier engines. This does not mean that if you use an oil other than that specified your engine will fail. It simply means that the results they got were best when they used an oil that met these specifications.
They don't tell you what the test conditions were, they don't tell you what temperatures they subjected the test engines to, they don't tell you any of that. Why do you suppose that is? My supposition is because it really doesn't matter, you see, oil has three basic functions...
That being said, I use Syn3 in all three holes.

Quick Reply: NoBody Really Knows-Do They?