Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Temp 88 vs 96

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:51 AM
hnesitd1
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Oil Temp 88 vs 96

[8D]Has anyone measured the ambient oil temp on a stock 88? Most are aware of the perceived heat problems on the 96 ........... has anyone measured that? Finally,is an oil cooler significant on the 96? I'm running syn oil. Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:07 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Default RE: Oil Temp 88 vs 96

Great question. I have done some experimenting with this. Last summer I was riding my 2007 FLTR with a group of guys and one had a 2005 TC 88 Classic and we both had the oil temp dipsticks. Now this isn't exact science but here is what I found. I first have to start by saying, both motors are stock and have the stage I setup installed. The TC 88 was a carb bike and of course my 07 is EFI and was running a nice custom tune map on a powercommander.From our test, we concluded that the TC88 under normal operating scenariohad an avg oil temp of 205 and the TC96 had an avgoil temp of 230.Neither had an oil cooler on them. According tothe service manager at the local stealership, my bike must be running cooler than most thathe has seen,due to the richer running system and the stage I pipes andair cleaner.

The temps that we were getting while actually cruising around a decent speeds were significantly different.

Cruising at speed so engines can cool

TC 88 TC 96
------ -------
200-210220-240

I haven't tried an oil cooler yet. I have tried to get some numbers on how much that will help, but it was like pulling teeth. All I could get was responses like "Boy it really feels cooler" or "Seems like it is working good".So, I haven't blown any money on that yet. I am guessing it will drop the temp by 5 to 10 degrees when running at highway speeds and maybe 1 degree when sitting in traffic like a bike week or biketoberfest. Since my bike has never hit the temp alarm, I am just going to keep on riding it.

What was interesting was when stuck in traffic at Biketoberfest the temps were both the same

TC88 TC 96
------ -------
262 261

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:24 AM
hnesitd1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: VTwinJaxFL

Great question. I have done some experimenting with this. Last summer I was riding my 2007 FLTR with a group of guys and one had a 2005 TC 88 Classic and we both had the oil temp dipsticks. Now this isn't exact science but here is what I found. I first have to start by saying, both motors are stock and have the stage I setup installed. The TC 88 was a carb bike and of course my 07 is EFI and was running a nice custom tune map on a powercommander.From our test, we concluded that the TC88 under normal operating scenariohad an avg oil temp of 205 and the TC96 had an avgoil temp of 230.Neither had an oil cooler on them. According tothe service manager at the local stealership, my bike must be running cooler than most thathe has seen,due to the richer running system and the stage I pipes andair cleaner.

The temps that we were getting while actually cruising around a decent speeds were significantly different.

TC 88 TC 96
------ -------
200-210220-240

I haven't tried an oil cooler yet. I have tried to get some numbers on how much that will help, but it was like pulling teeth. All I could get was responses like "Boy it really feels cooler" or "Seems like it is working good".So, I haven't blown any money on that yet. I am guessing it will drop the temp by 5 to 10 degrees when running at highway speeds and maybe 1 degree when sitting in traffic like a bike week or biketoberfest. Since my bike has never hit the temp alarm, I am just going to keep on riding it.

What was interesting was when stuck in traffic at Biketoberfest the temps were both the same

TC88 TC 96
------ -------
262 261

Nice to have the figures you provided. I read with interest your comments regarding oiltemperature with both bikes idling.I assume you know that the 96 will automatically slow the idle andrichen the mixture when a potential overheat condition is detected?Do you know if the PC you have fitted affects this feature(?)...at 250 degrees Idon't thinkI'd run dino ...... but definitely open tocomments on that.AIM had an article in their October issue that highlighted the Jagg Unit (internal tubulation) that lowered the temp by 20 degrees.Any idea when shear occurs with syn? I'm with you though ... wait and watch. Anyway, great reply ... thanks.

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:59 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

06 Roadglide, Stage one intake w/download, stock,catylist exhaust. Fairing oil gauge reads 200-210 most of the time. Riding hard up a mountain, 230 is the highest this bike has seen.

My 04 WG hit 250 on a tank dipstick gauge with some frequency and it was stage one, SEII slip ons, Ness big sucker and DFO.

I added a PCIII to retard the timing a bit and eliminate some preignition ( I think 06 was a transitional year and they used the catylist muffler andadvanced the timing rather than running it any leaner than the 05s)

After the richer map on the PCIII the temps have remained about the same. I am currently riding in Florida in high seventies and mid eighties mostly. I also run Redline 20/60 in the engine and it may help keep things cooler than a 20/50.

I agree that a bike that sees 250 needs sythetic oil's heat resistance to breakdown.

EZ

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:05 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain

Yes, both bikes were running Amsoil synthetic oil, of course. As far as the TC 96 shutting down one cylinder, I don't believe it ever go that hot. From what I was told that won't happen until you get to 300 or over. I do believe the dip stick temp gauges read slightly higher than the fairing mounted oil temp gauges. Reason I say that is a buddy had the temp dip stick and then bought the fairing mounted gauge and he swore that the fairing gauge read 10 degrees cooler than the dipstick. I still can't believe that the oil cooler will take 20 degrees out of the oil until I see it and so far I haven't seen it.

TC 88 TC 96
------ -------
200-210220-240

TC88 TC 96
------ -------
262 261

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:32 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

I have a stock '03 ultra and I've checked the oil temp several times in different riding conditions. the highest temp was 228 which I thought was pretty hot, but it states in my owners manual that the normal temp for my motor is 230 degrees. I guess anything less and your still ok. synthetic oil, anybodys would be a safer bet then dino oil in theses hotter( then an evo ) running motors.

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:37 PM
hnesitd1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as the TC 96 shutting down one cylinder, I don't believe it ever go that hot. From what I was told that won't happen until you get to 300 or over.
I understand the 2007 (96) has (2) schemes for Idle Temperature Cooldown. One method must be dialed in and is available for all touring models and police bikes. As you mention when dialed in (Calibrated) the Engine Idle TemperatureManagement System (EITMS) shuts the injector off to the rear cylinder when an overheat condition is detected ... not sure at what temp but probably programmable.

The second scheme is always available. When a programmed overheat is detected (at idle) the engine idle slows (700 rpm)and the mixture goes rich ... in an attempt to cool the engine. Apparantly it's very noticeablewhen it clutches in ........... the worst thing you can do is rev the engine in this mode....once the RPM goes above 1000, the mixtureimmediately leans out.

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The 2006 bikes are set very lean from the factory. I had a lot more heat before I added my SERT and enrichened the fuel map 1 increment. That small adjustment made a huge differnece in the amount of heat and performance. Plus it eliminated 95% of decel backfiring as well. The settings to get past the EPA by the MoCo are not good for these engines IMO. Oil is important but incorrect factorytuning is the culprit. That said, I wouldn't run a fuel injected air cooled bike without synthetic oil.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:29 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

I have an opposite view onthe subject ofoil temps then most, we are running our temps to cool. Since I installed an oil temp guage I've noticed how long it takes to get to my minimum desireable oil temp of 220 deg F, I wouldlike to see the temps run 220-240 deg normal driving. I've also noticed how seldom I see the oilapproach the dangerzone of temps, 280+ deg for non synthetic, 300+ for synthetic and this only happens for examplewhen stuck in traffic on a hot day when I can always pull over for a cool down, never had to yet. All of these observations have been with my oil cooler covered.

It takes at least 50 miles of spirited driving before the oil temps get to myminimum desired temps and what bothers me about that is how many times weride the bike for less then 50 miles and park it providing an opportuniny for for moisture accumulation.I've got a relative who runs an indy shop and he says that he sometimes seessome white foam come out of crankcases with oil changes on customer's bikes.

I will be ordering a manual shut off valve that completely shuts theoil cooler down, mine has the hoses that run back to the oil reservoir. The high failurethermostatic valve in oil coolers when cold,does not completely close the oil flow off even when they work right, prolonging the oil temp warmup even longer. To most, I think oil coolers are a complete waist of money, possibly causing more engine wear.Before, I, for the life of me, could not understand why HD does not include an oil temp guage with every bike. I've concluded that it wouldalmoststopthe sale of oil coolers of they did.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:40 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

I have an opposite view onthe subject ofoil temps then most, we are running our temps to cool. Since I installed an oil temp guage I've noticed how long it takes to get to my minimum desireable oil temp of 220 deg F, I wouldlike to see the temps run 220-240 deg normal driving. I've also noticed how seldom I see the oilapproach the dangerzone of temps, 280+ deg for non synthetic, 300+ for synthetic and this only happens for examplewhen stuck in traffic on a hot day when I can always pull over for a cool down, never had to yet. All of these observations have been with my oil cooler covered.

It takes at least 50 miles of spirited driving before the oil temps get to myminimum desired temps and what bothers me about that is how many times weride the bike for less then 50 miles and park it providing an opportuniny for for moisture accumulation.I've got a relative who runs an indy shop and he says that he sometimes seessome white foam come out of crankcases with oil changes on customer's bikes.

I will be ordering a manual shut off valve that completely shuts theoil cooler down, mine has the hoses that run back to the oil reservoir. The high failurethermostatic valve in oil coolers when cold,does not completely close the oil flow off even when they work right, prolonging the oil temp warmup even longer. To most, I think oil coolers are a complete waist of money, possibly causing more engine wear.Before, I, for the life of me, could not understand why HD does not include an oil temp guage with every bike. I've concluded that it wouldalmoststopthe sale of oil coolers of they did.
You are right about the temperature issue. I have no oil cooler for that exact reason. Syn oil is plenty of heat protection. In fact that is my big issue with getting a Tmax tuner versus the SERT that I have now. My TC88 performance changes quite a bit after 25 miles of riding and the SERT maps don't compensate enough so the bike runs like chit for the first 25 miles. My bike runs best when really heated past 220F. But now it has enough fuel delivery to run correctly. The factory maps run too hot IMO.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp 88 vs 96