Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Who runs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who runs Amsoil

Hi-
Wanted to know how many riders are running Amsoil in their bikes and what your experience has been with that product as far as better performance- running any cooler than standard 20-50 HD oil and etc.

Regards,

Mark

Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Who runs Amsoil

I use it exclusively.I use less oil between changes and bike runs cooler and holds better pressure. With Amsoil,no longer will your oil temp guage drop to zero when it is hot during the summer and you pull up to a light. Amsoil does not get that hot or thin out as much. I use 20w50 in the engine and 75-90 severe gear in the tranny. Primari is also 20w50. You can use all 3 holes with Amsoil. Great oil. Second choice would be mobile 1 v-twin. then royal purple and redline. .I have not used these personally but all who have swear by it as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Canuck HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it in all 3...so far so good

Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMSOIL here...

I've noticed lower temp (I have an oil temp gauge) and higher oil pressure both at idle and cruising speed.

I also get about 7 to 10 more miles to the tank during the work week (same72 mileround trip to and from work). I've keep records of every tank of fuel since new with every oil I've used.

I used MOBIL1 for years because it was easy to get off the store shelves but found AMSOIL has it on my door by the next day so I smoked-out my own objection.

The difference between MOBIL and AMSOIL that I've personally noticed:

At cruising speed of 70mph oil temps:
MOBIL 185
AMSOIL180

At idle oil pressure:
MOBIL <5 PSI
AMSOIL >5 PSI

At Cruise speed of 70mph oil pressure:
MOBIL 30 PSI
AMSOIL 32 PSI

Now these may not seem like big differences but they're enough to get me that extra 7 to 10 more miles pertank that I'm getting.

I also extend my drain intervals to 10k with a filter replacement at 5k and this brings my oil costs down to the same or less than I was paying for other synthetics. Now I can already hear some folks saying "I'd never go 10k on my oil!" I said the same thing; so I went 7.5k and did a Blackstone Used Oil Analysis (UOA) and was told that the oil was doing great and another 2k would not be a problem.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:58 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Amsoil for about 8 years. A Brother switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil and raves about how much better his gas milage is. My motor recommends 2500 mile oil change, I go 5000 with Amsoil. I use it in my pickup too.

I use 20W-50 in the motor and 75-90 Severe gear in the Trany. I change the Trany once a year.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Redline 20/60 in the engine and HD Shockproof in the tranny. Type F ATF in primary.

No oil cooler, NC Summer riding (mostly mtns) NEVER seen over 230 and that's going up steep mountain roads. Florida in Winter, typically in the 80s to 90 degrees and humid, no mountains but at or below sea level (lean air mix) never over 230, even in traffic.

Ran Amsoil in my least twinkie and was happy with it but it reached 250 with some regularity under the same conditions. Old bike was a WG and current is aRG, so weight isn't an issue.

Can't speak to a milage difference but pressure is a bit higher by the gauge than with the last of the Amsoil I used initially.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either OR Mobile One 15/50. They are all really good oil with minor viscosity variations except the Redline 20/60 is a type V synthetic with more viscosity in hot situations.

EZ

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Amsoil in my V-Rod and my FLTRI. As far as running cooler? I haven't done any tests to determine this and don't believe you are going to see anything measurable between syn3 and Amsoil. You would need to run a very tight tolerance test using very sophisticated equipment to even try and determine this. The one guy is saying he is running 180 degree oil, hell that isn't even up to proper operating temps most motors. The biggest difference I found was in the severe gear lube in the TC 96 tractor transmission, it is smoother now. I also found the V-Rod shifts smoother with the 20W-50 in it. The V-Rod only has one place to put oil, which works out very nice, no 3 hole crap to mess with. I have also found the engine maybe slightly quieter in the valve area, but once again, it maybe all in my head, anytime you change your oil, fresh oil will make things slightly quieter. I have seen motors torn down that ran both Amsoil and Syn-3 and both looked very very clean inside, so either works great. The benefit of Amsoil for me is I can order it and it shows up at my door, no going to the store and no adding to the profits of HD and the stealership with buying Syn-3. The downside is you can't find it out when you need to add a quart of oil in the big V-Twins that still seem to consume slight amounts of oil, I keep extra at home and top it off before I go. Mobil -1 is used in my Trucks because of this reason.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I know more than 10 people who have used it in Harleys for many years....never a problem. But use 75w90 or the 75w110 gear oil in your trans.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

20-50 both holes sporty, shifts better, only 7100 on my xl1200l changed at 5000 miles, to soon to say but at 164,000 my 1.8 turbo vw loves it, uses very little proly at 20lbs boost mostly, not stock of course but still 32 mpg on a trip,sold my 64 olds years ago 225000 on it started amsoil at 122000, yes it dripped some but the plugs were always clean,i change oil and filter every 10000 miles works for me, i like redline too, maybe the best but toooo expensive for the marginal difference, a prefered customer # for $20 yearlygets discounts, i have 2 cars and bike and run it in girls car too less than $6 delivered for autos little more for bike although i believe their 20-50 full synthetic to be almost the same as it is excluded from the rules governing lower viscosity car oils as far as additives are concerned

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used both Amsoil and Mobil 1 V-Twin in my bikes, and to be honest, I don't notice one bit of difference between them as far ashow the bikes run.

Both areexcellent synthetic fluids, and living in the lower Midwest where we have extreme temperatures on both end of the scale (ranging from -15 in the winters to well over 100 in the summer), I like running good synthetic fluids.

Myself and the folks I ride with put a lot of miles on our bikes, averaging around 20,000 to 25,000 miles each year, and I don't know of anyone that has had an oil related problem, no matter what oil they happen to be using.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 V-Twin are good synthetic fluids,but I imagine that out of all the folks I know more miles are put on bikes that are running 'regular', low costMobil 1 15W-50 than anything else, and we are talking about many bikes with 100,000+ miles.

I'm sure there are numerous scientific studies that have been done to promote the benefits of one type of oil over another, but our engines aren't smart enough to read all these reports, and I doubt if they could care less what oil they use as long as it is changed on a frequent basis.

Just my opinion, but I think it's the bike owners, and not the bikes themselves, that become overly concerned about the never ending "my oil is better than your oil" debates..

Quick Reply: Who runs Amsoil