Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Who runs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Who runs Amsoil

With the cost of fuel lately dont you think if just changing brand of oil would increase MPG,that every manufacturer would be jumping on this?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

With the cost of fuel lately dont you think if just changing brand of oil would increase MPG,that every manufacturer would be jumping on this?
I keep detail mileage records on all my Harley's, and my Softail FatBoy averages 48 to 49 MPG. I do live in a very rural area, so the mileage I get doesn't include city or 'stop and go' traffic like many have to deal with....

Themileage records I have don'tshowany noticeable increase (or decrease)in mileage which could be contributed to one brand of synthetic oil over another, no matter if I was running Amsoil, Mobil 1 V-Twin, or regular old Mobil 1 15W-50..

Maybe my bikes aren't as 'picky' concerning the type of oil used as others might be.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

I agree with old fender guy, except the big difference is I can get amsoil cheaper then mobil 1. I tried 70/90 wt castrol gear oil in the trans but I could smell it when the bike got hot.I also ran syn3 in my '93's trans and it shifted like butter even with almost 80 k on the trans. now I use amsoil 20/50 in the trans of my '03 as it is gl1 rated, as well as the motor and I dont notice any difference in either oil. the trans shifts perfect and is quiet. I feel alot of people try to compensate for a clutch thats out of perfect adjustment, with heavier oils.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm running Amsoil in the engine and Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny. I can't say that I've noticed any difference from the HD dino that was in there before.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Mobile 1 for awhile now I run Amsoil. Honestly I can't tell any difference. I think they are both great oils. I think everyone around here changes their oil often enough that they could get away with running Pepsi or Dr. Pepper.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 AM
campincowboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeepin, I tried the Dr Pepper, but I couldn't outrun the bees...

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Fastlane
Tourer

I quit using it and moved to Spectro because I feel Spectro is better. I saw some little specs in the end of a few quarts in the Amsoil when doing oil changes which I think were not supposed to be there. Amsoil puts out to much misleading info to trust them.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to Amsoil at about 7500 miles, MCV20w50 in engine and primary, and SVG 75w90 in trans, which IMO is probably overkill cause no helical gear trans needs EP additives.The trans would likely be just as happy with MCV 20w50, as it meets GL1 specs, which is what HD calls for in the book.

As far as shifting is concerned, the only difference I ever noticed was probably due more to accumulated miles than the oil, as it's had the original lube from HD in it up to the first service, then syn 3 up to 7500 miles, and now the Amsoil gear lube, and from day one, no matter what was in it, it gradually started to shift smoother.

As far as the engine running cooler, if it does, I sure can't tell any difference. I don't get excited about it climbing above 230 anyway, as that is pretty much normal operating temperature. Consider that the oil is supposed to help cool the engine. 230F oil temp in the average car engine would be cool, the oil in those ALWAYS runs way hotter than the engine coolant, and 270 and even hotter is fairly common in a car engine, and nobody gets excited about it, or probably even knows about it.

Most of the reason I switched was that I can have it shipped right to my front door in about 4 days from ordering it online, and it costs me about $6.35 a quart for engine oil in a 12 quartcase,and about $9 a quartfor the gear oil. Can't even beat that at Wal Mart, and our Wal Mart superstore never heard of Mobil 1 V Twin anyway.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
pepesworld
Cruiser

I have switched to amsoil in all my bikes, tried it in a two stroke (Vespa) dramatic difference, that little motor winds out smoother and faster that it ever has before, feels like a turbine! That Vespa can get up to about 70mph! Can't realy tell the difference in the Harleys, been using Mobil-1 before.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use it in engine, tranny, dirt bikes, my cars & trucks, and it's AWESOME!!! I love it so much that I sell it now!!

My old F150 had 237,000 on her when I sold it, and still ran great. I used to change it every 5K.

Quick Reply: Who runs Amsoil