Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Engine Oil

I agree that Amsoil is a fine product, but on what do you base your claim that it's a "cut above"?I hope not on the infamous "White Papers" that Amsoil pays for. After alot of study and reading through many independant analysis reports here and elsewhere, there is a significant consencious thatMobil-1 15w50(silver top) performs as a equal among the other top rated "Botique" oils that go for close to $10+ a quart. Mobil-1 is readily available from Walmart, 5 quart jug for $20.

That's what I've run for years in my other bikes. The only reason Syn3 is in my Ultra is that is what the dealer uses under their pre-paid maintainance. Formula Plus is cheaper.....but they continue to use Syn 3 in all three holes.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 V-Twin in the crank, Mobil gear oil in the trans and HD Formula 1 in the primary.

I use to runSyn3 in all3 holes but never again, my bike now shifts smoother,engine runs cooler and primary is not as loud.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
bikerdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I use Amsoil now, before that H.D. syn 3with no big problems ! I think it more importion to use a good oil change it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles and replace with a good filter . Use what you are comforable with and E-Z for you to get . That maybe mobil 1 or H.D.or Amsoil. For me 55 miles one way to my H.D. dealer wasn't the answer . And Wal-mart at that time was 35 miles one way and I don't like to wait in line anyway ! And Amsoil was E-Z to get and it got a lot of people that swear by it ! Hope this helps

Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thaw til July- Motor Genuine 50w in the tank, BelRay 80-90w in the tranny, belt primary
July to Labor Day- Motor Genuine 60w, Bel Ray 85-140w in the tranny
Labor Day til freeze up-switch back
Works for me.Hope that helps.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I been real happy with the Red-Line 20/50 in the engine, Red-Line Heavy Shockproof in the trans, and Red-Line MTL in the primary. Cooler oil temps....shifting is smooth as hell, and the primary is quite as a mouse!!! I will stick with it in both my bikes. I may switch off to Mobil 1 V-Twin every now and then in the crank case....only because its easy to score on the road.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

Mobil 1 V-Twin in the crank, Mobil gear oil in the trans and HD Formula 1 in the primary.
+1 a good combination......

Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Tmoney
Cruiser

harley oil is made by shell its not that great i have done some checking around and ams oil is the best to run in a motorcycle they have a chart and it showed ams oil leading all other competitors
it also showed how storage of a bike over a period of time leads to some corrosion internally with other brands amsoil showed none

Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jakedog

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

+1 a good combination......
This is the way to go. +2 I change it all every 5000, or once a year, time needs to be taken into account as well as millage.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tmoney

harley oil is made by shell its not that great i have done some checking around and ams oil is the best to run in a motorcycle they have a chart and it showed ams oil leading all other competitors
it also showed how storage of a bike over a period of time leads to some corrosion internally with other brands amsoil showed none
HD oil is made by the Hugo Chavez oil company, aka CITGO. Before CITGO, HD oil was made by Sunoco. Before that?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:43 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tmoney

This is totally bogus. HD oil is made by Citgo and No it is not any safer to store your bike without changing the oil because it's Amsoil.

Please supply your source of this mis-information.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil