Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM
BillyO
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Oil

I've used all the Great synthetics. I must say that Amsoil 20-50 seems to be a cut above.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
wizzard44
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link CHarley. Some super good reading. The computer is already beside the fireplace and it is -11 celius outside so you are right. It is to cold to ride, but when you have a new 2008 Road King sitting in the garage, + 5 looks pretty good here on Sunday. Thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Am sure most know it, Harley Davidson therselves do not make their own oil any more than make their own beer or cigarettes lastI heard was Citgo supplying their Lubes although that can change as soon as get a better bid..

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redline is what I use in all three holes. No complaints at all

Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Sorry Guys, even the MoCo no longer recommends the "One Oil in All Holes" approach. If you wouldn't put Gear Oil in your engine, why would you put Engine Oil in the gear box? The oils are each formulated for a specifically diffenentenvironment.

Wizzard44, drag your computer over by the fireplace, it's to cold for you to ride anyway, and spend some time this weekend reading here. https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_222/tt.htm

That's the best way to figure out what's right for YOU.
And, don't buy into mfg. claims and "white paper" bs.

hint: any top rated synthetic, Mobil-1, Redline, Amzoilwill be just fine. (note HD oils are NOT included here)
How many times is that false informationgoing to come up on these forums?

Check the bottle, check the parts book.

Incidently, the words "synthetic oil" don't even appear in the owner's manual ('06 manual here...)

Most people here also don't believe the owner's manual says you can go 20K in the trannyor 10K in the primary before changing the oil, because they've never read their manuals!

Here's the page right out of the 2008 parts book. This page appears before any other information on any other HD oils, including Formula Plus tranny oil.

And in Amzoils own highly touted test, Harley Syn 3 was equal to or better in some categories.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/954EF4D684E8401B97416EF79817CFDC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillyO

I've used all the Great synthetics. I must say that Amsoil 20-50 seems to be a cut above.
I agree that Amsoil is a fine product, but on what do you base your claim that it's a "cut above"?I hope not on the infamous "White Papers" that Amsoil pays for. After alot of study and reading through many independant analysis reports here and elsewhere, there is a significant consencious thatMobil-1 15w50(silver top) performs as a equal among the other top rated "Botique" oils that go for close to $10+ a quart. Mobil-1 is readily available from Walmart, 5 quart jug for $20.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind. It's your bike, your choice. But, after doing quite a bit of study on the subject, if I thoughtthat $10+ a quart oil would make any proveable difference in the lifespan of my motor or gear box I would be the first to change.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Sorry Guys, even the MoCo no longer recommends the "One Oil in All Holes" approach. If you wouldn't put Gear Oil in your engine, why would you put Engine Oil in the gear box? The oils are each formulated for a specifically diffenentenvironment.

Wizzard44, drag your computer over by the fireplace, it's to cold for you to ride anyway, and spend some time this weekend reading here. https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_222/tt.htm

That's the best way to figure out what's right for YOU.
And, don't buy into mfg. claims and "white paper" bs.

hint: any top rated synthetic, Mobil-1, Redline, Amzoilwill be just fine. (note HD oils are NOT included here)
How many times is that false informationgoing to come up on these forums?

Check the bottle, check the parts book.

Incidently, the words "synthetic oil" don't even appear in the owner's manual ('06 manual here...)

Most people here also don't believe the owner's manual says you can go 20K in the trannyor 10K in the primary before changing the oil, because they've never read their manuals!

Here's the page right out of the 2008 parts book. This page appears before any other information on any other HD oils, including Formula Plus tranny oil.

And in Amzoils own highly touted test, Harley Syn 3 was equal to or better in some categories.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/954EF4D684E8401B97416EF79817CFDC.jpg[/IMG]
No, checking the owners manual, is not the best source of information. Until the last 2 years HD claimed Syn would void your warranty and was not suitable for use in their engines. Lo & behold, HD comes out with Syn 3 and now synthetic is not just fine in your 06 but is the recommended product.

Yes, HD will still tell you it's OK to use one oil in all holes and that's true. It does not however mean that it'sthe best solution, it means it's acceptable. Gee, I wonder why HD is now selling Formula+ if the one oil in all holes idea really worked?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Damn, already broke my New Years resolution, never to answer one of these oil threads again.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

cHarley, you'd be surprised to know how informed some of us have been the past 10 years as this has evolved. American Iron and MCNews both have had extensive oil articles in the past decade, and Harley ate a lot of crow when they introduced Syn 3, but covered their *** by saying "they tested it" but didn't test other oils, so Syn 3 is the only synthetic they can endorse. And we all know how they stepped in their own crap this past year in their gaffe about oil and warranties in their own magazine.

As far as Formula Plus? I would offer the solution that Harley reads these forums, and knows how many people have different opinions, and introduced Formula Plus for those people, just to capture their dollars.

The fact remains that Harley is one of the few cycle manufacturers that has "separate holes" to even make this a discussion. Jap bikes have used the same oil circulating throughout their entire engines/primaries/tranniesfor decades.

I've never said Syn 3 is the best solution. I've only exposed the falsehoods of statements made by others.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I'll bite one last time.

Amsoil 20-50 in the crankcase
Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear (SVO) in the tranny
HD Formula+ in the primary

I'm not saying that this is what's best. It's just what I choose to run.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil