Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

White sludge

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
heavy hauler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White sludge

I have a 06 Road King Classic I bought in November which I've never ridden yet because
I live in MN. The bike has 3 miles on it, when I checked the oil I noticed a white pasty substance around the dip stick and the fill area I realize this is moisture mixed in with the oil. My question is should I stop starting it once a week to keep the battery charged. Because I know its not running enough for the moisture to vaporize and blow out. And also should I change out this oil before I start riding this spring? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: White sludge

I'd get a HD battery tender for 39.95 and forget starting it. Besides water condensation, there is fuel residue in your oil that isn't burning off. I would definitely change the oil before riding season.

Or, better yet, move. It was a 400 mile weekend for me here in the Land of Dixie. FWIW.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU DOING THAT. BE THAT AS IT MAY THE ANSWER IS YES AND YES. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO CHANGE THE OIL NOW. USE A BATTERY TENDER AND DONT START IT UNLESS YOU SRE GOING 10 MILES OR HALF AN HOUR RIDING FOR REASONS YOU STATE. ALSO, ADD THE HARLEY WINTER STABILIZER TO YOUR GAS TANK AND MAKE SURE THE TANK IS FULL. GOOD LUCK.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
heavy hauler
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys I'll get a battery tender next weekend. I do have stabilizer in the gasoline and the tank is full. But if I'm not going to run it again until spring why change the oil now?

Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
klemmer
Intermediate

Saw a posting on this site that states the worst thing you can do to an engine that is not broke in is to start it for a few min. and not ride it, something with the rings not seating.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
f35099
Intermediate

"But if I'm not going to run it again until spring why change the oil now?"

Because you have moisture in the engine and it's just looking for something to corrode.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: heavy hauler

Thanks for the replys I'll get a battery tender next weekend. I do have stabilizer in the gasoline and the tank is full. But if I'm not going to run it again until spring why change the oil now?

You don't want all that moisture sitting in the oil till the spring, It can do a lot of damage if left in there. Change it now with a filter after warming it up and put a battery tender on it until you ride again.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_154614/tm.htm

Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
heavy hauler
Intermediate

Thanks for all your input guys!!! I'm going to change the oil asap, its cheap so why not. But in this subzero state I can't help but think that the moisture will appear again even though it won't be started any more until spring. Thats why you have to store the bike with the gas tank full so that moisture doesn't condensate inside the tank. Regardless I'll still change the oil and filter.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:27 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The water in the oil is condensation from the cold metal starting to warm up. As suggested, when you ride a short time the engine gets warm enough to dissipate most of the moisture. The longer you ride the less water. The other point is tha gas that isn't burned at start up. It makes its way into the oil and dillutes it, Again if you ride for awhile SOME of it dissipates. Pollutants in your oil is part of the argument over when the oil should be changed. If all you do is short rides then the oil should be changed more often for the above reasons.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
truethumphd
6th Gear

so let the bike warm up to operating temp and let it sit and idle for a while. best thing for an engine is NOT to let a bat. tender sit on it all winter long with no start up. Other than o-rings drying out, the condensation that builds up on your cyl. rusts and pits the steel walls and the piston rings. fire that girl up and let her sit for a while. some of those fuel stabilizers dont work like they say they do anyway. I wouldnt rely on em.

Quick Reply: White sludge