Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

GREASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GREASE

Took my back wheel off today to replace the brand new tire on it(F@&KING screw) and decided I'd get some new seals and repack my bearings.Got some for the front too.Anyway, I get everything back together and I'm sitting in the garage reading the can of grease.I have a high temp "blue" bearing grease.On the can it says"do not mix grease of different soap types".So I start to look for what soap type it is and can't find anything.I call my brother who I know has a can of "red" bearing grease,he reads it to me and it says the same thing without any indication of what soap type it is.My white lithium grease says the same.I guess I've always overlooked this in the past.What does this mean?How do you know what soap type it is and what happens if they are mixed?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: GREASE

I would think it means clean out 100% of the old grease before packing the bearings..........That way you won't have to worry mixing anything

Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 PM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mechanical contact of the moving parts of a bearing or a pin and bushing on the applied grease cause small amounts of oil to separate from the metallic soap medium and lubricate the working surfaces of the machine. Over time, this oil is lost through evaporation, oxidization or being pushed or flung (by centrifugal force) out of the lubrication zone. The separation of base oil from the soap medium must, therefore, be at a controlled rate to provide ongoing lubrication. The grease must also be replenished at regular intervals to avoid total depletion, metal-to-metal contact and wear. Keep in mind that some metallic soaps also impart lubricating properties.

What about mixing greases or compatibility? You can generally mix different brands of grease and different types (e.g. light or heavy) of grease if they have the same metallic soap thickener. However, mixing greases with incompatible thickening soaps such as lithium and aluminum can cause problems under some circumstances. As the temperature rises, there is a tendency for the metallic soaps to become very soft and the base oils to separate from the soaps at temperatures that are well below their normal dropout points. If the base oil drops out of a grease and drains out of a bearing, it can cause a failure. The oil companies have lubricant handbooks providing information on grease compatibility.

I have had the experience of customers mixing incompatible greases. This had led me to sell only lithium soap greases. Lithium greases are the most popular type of grease in North America, making up 85% of all the greases sold.

ADVERTISEMENT

When changing greases, it is generally advisable to push all the old grease out of bushings with the new grease. Keep pumping until the new grease appears. Bearings should be cleaned and repacked with new grease. If the old grease is not fully removed, the new grease may not achieve its normal performance capabilities.

Learn from the tube

What can you tell about a grease from what is written on the tube? The information provided on grease tubes vary considerably, but it is generally rather limited. It will usually tell you the type of metallic soap thickener that has been used; the NLGI consistency grade, which may be expressed as an NLGI #1 or #2, or possibly as an EP 1 or 2. The dropping point may be stated and it usually provides some recommended applications. If you want more information, such as the viscosity of the base oil, the percentage of various additives used and the qualities that they impart, or more detail on recommended uses, you can ask a company representative for the technical information sheets on their greases. Lubricant manufacturers also have technical consultants who can advise clients about their greases or other types of lubricants. And this service is generally free of charge.

Greasy opinions

As a lubricant sales agent, I sell grease to a lot of different types of customers, including farmers, truckers, construction firms, and forestry contractors. I hear a wide range of opinions and ideas about grease.

Previous - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - Next

Find Research Guides for:

Find Featured Titles for: News

© 2007 CNET Networks, Inc. About CNET Networks · Advertise · Jobs · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use · Contact Us · Site Map · RSS Site Map

Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like i said.........Clean out the old grease first[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HD7585

I would think it means clean out 100% of the old grease before packing the bearings..........That way you won't have to worry mixing anything
Yeah.......I got that part.I'm not worried about mixing anything.I just wanted to know WTF it means.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Thanks bear95252 ,I apprciate you actually answering my question.Good info

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
tbrimer
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site may be helpful.
http://www.grease.net.in/industrialgrease.html
Tony B

Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the useful information T.

Bart

Old 12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FandA M

Thanks bear95252 ,I apprciate you actually answering my question.Good info
There's more to read on the web page about grease in additional pages.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._n8801089/pg_3