Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Added oil, but now overfull? Coming out of overflow...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Gunn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added oil, but now overfull? Coming out of overflow...

If you've ready my new member intro, you'll know I inherited a 1986 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic that belonged to my Dad for the past 15 years. He put over 50k miles on it and treated it like another child. However, for the past couple of years it has not been ridden much at all and for the past year or so, not at all.

I washed it, waxed it, polished it up back in September. Topped off all the fluids, put air in the tires, etc. Battery was shot so couldn't attempt to start it. Recently bought a new battery and it is now on a trickle charger my Dad had setup.

When I checked the oil level, there was -none- on the dipstick. I thought that to be odd. My Dad would never let it get that low, and there was no puddle under the bike. But I added oil to bring it up just to the bottom of the lower limit mark. Then I tried to start it. As I said, the battery was shot, even after being on a trickle charger and it only kicked over a couple of times. But oil began to come out of this rubber hose hanging from the bottom of the bike. I placed a small cookie tin to grab it and got a bunch.

Then got the new battery and tried again. More oil. I probably ended up getting out the hole quart I had to add. Then I decided to stop and search this strange problem out. That is what led me here. I've done my searching throughout this forum and haven't read where this exact situation has happened before. Usually from what I've read, its excess oil coming out of the air cleaner. But in my case, its this hose. I assume this is an overflow hose from the oil tank? I couldn't find any reference to it in the user manual, or the technical reference manual I have. ??

From what I've gathered, could it be the check ball valve that is located within the oil pump? Could this have failed, allowing oil to drain from the tank, into the engine? So then I think it's low and add some. And then when kicked over, this oil is pumped back into the tank. Being too much, it causes the tank to overflow out of this hose? Yet the oil level is not above the upper level mark?

Finally, what should I do? I am planning on just draining out the oil so I know how much I put in. But if there is some trapped in the lower portion of the engine, how much do I put in? I need to be able to safely start it so then I can top if off correctly. From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be a way to drain this excess oil trapped in the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Added oil, but now overfull? Coming out of overflow...

Sounds like the ol' ckeck valve ball let the oil from the tank drain into the engine sump, just as you suspect. Not sure if the hose isa breather hose,whichshould've gone to the air cleaner, or whether it is the oil tank vent. Just start the engine with your catch pan in place and let it run until the oil quits coming out. Then check the oil level in the tank. Of course if you only added 1 quart and 3 quarts comes out, shut 'er down!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Added oil, but now overfull? Coming out of overflow...

sounds like its sumpin. when it sits oil will seep past the ball check, like stated earlier and fill the crankcase. when you start it gets slung around and comes out the breather hose off the rear of the motor. its common with case breathers. and the oil that comes out looks like alot but usally not more them 3/4 of a qt. I used to put a clean catch pan under the hose ,start the motor let it run for a while, then pour the oil in the catch pan back in the motor. dont refill the oil tank before you statrt the bike or you will have extra oil comin out the breather hose.or out the oil tank fill. if you change the oil when warm and run/ride the bike regurly it wont happen as much.my2cents.,,,