Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Synthetic Oil, how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic Oil, how many miles?

I use Amsoil and change by 5,000 miles. Usually a bit before. The 5,000 mile interval is whatH-D reccomends with their 360 dino oil. I figure with synthetic I'm plenty safe.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer told me I could go two filter changes to one oil change . when they did the first oil change on my bike I ask what the dif was between syn and dino they told me I only had to change oil every other filter change my manual says change every 5000 yes I have gone an entire year between oil changes did change filter twice. been working for me...

Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done my own service on my Se-Deuce, and this last go round I used the Red-Line 20/50 fully synthetic V-Twin engine oil....and Red-Line HD shock Proof in the trans....MTL in the primary. I will keep the trans & primary in for 9K (or three oil/filter changes). The engine oil will get changed every 3K syn or not. I make a lot of short trips, and ride a lot in NYC......I would consider that severe use.
I just changed the engine oil on my 08' FLHX at 300 miles, and it came out looking as clean as what I was putting in.....I used the H-D 20/50 non synthetic. I will change it again at 700....then throw the dealer service dept a bone and let them do the 1st service with another round of non-syn. Then at 1500 I plan on switching to Mobil-1 (or another premium fully synthetic engine oil) I will still do oil/filter changes ahead of schedule....but thats just me.

Another thing.....who has a source for Mobil-1 V Twin?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have only used Amsoil in all my vehicles and can say without any doubt go the 5000 if that is your choice.Their auto oil will go as much as 35K or 1 year,that speaks for itself in it's quality.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

Another thing.....who has a source for Mobil-1 V Twin?
http://store.avlube.com/motorcycle.html

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Won't get into a debate about Syn III but full syn for less money (a la Mobile one 15/50) makes much more sense.

Agree with those using real "gear" oil in the tranny.

The one thing I see in this thread I do strongly disagree with is the primary. It is NOT filtered, is subject not to as much heat BUT maybe more contamination from the clutch, primary chain and condensation etc. DO change the primary oil every 2500 miles. Use whatever, MTL, 10/40 motor oil with NO friction modifiers or cheap Type F ATF (perhaps the best, most economical choice) BUT DO IT OFTEN.

Also, be aware of time intervals as well as milage. IMHO, a two year old bike should have at least four oil changes PLUS the initial 1K change REGARDLESS of miles. In other words, 5K or six months on full syn., more frequent on dino.

10K on the tranny is probably fine IF you use a good gear oil like Redline HD Shockproof, Mobile one syn. gear oil, Amsoil gear oil etc. IF you have transmission whine issues with a newer bike, choose the heavier grades of gear oil.

EZ

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Ok HD who should know their engines specs better than most state the following oil change intervals for the new twin cams.

5000 miles engine
10000 miles primary
20000 miles tranny

I run 5000 engine and 10000 primary and tranny.

If you really want to be sure of what is happening the only way is to use UOA's. You cannot tell how good your oil is standing up by smell, looks, the way it sounds,what great uncle festorsays,witchcraft, or black magic. Ok not sure about the last two but I doubt it.

My last UOA on my engine suggested I could go 6000, which I probably wont but if i'm not able to change it at 5000 then I wont sweat another 1000 if thats the way it falls.

As for the other two holes I'll have to wait and see, but 10000 miles will be my starting point.

So in summation, yes you can go 5000 miles on syn in your engine. If you run unusually short trips or live in a dust bowl, then you really need to get at least one UOA to see if you need to shorten your oil change schedule. A UOA for your riding on your bike is what counts, my opinion as with all the others is worth exactly what you have just paid for it.

Hope that helps

WB

Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
IA DPE
Advanced

Amsoil makes their own filters which filter out smaller micron particles than some other brands. You'll have to check the specs to see if they are equal/ superior to HD or other brand filters.

I've been using Amsoil oil and filters in my cars/ trucks for almost 20 years, usually changing at 10- 12k miles or one year, whichever comes first. I'm a firm believer in Syn oils, and running longer on changes.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

"Ok HD who should know their engines specs better than most state the following oil change intervals for the new twin cams.

5000 miles engine
10000 miles primary
20000 miles tranny "

LOL, SO any advice from the MOCO is correct, right? They advise the use of Syn III and imply it is a proprietary"secret" formula. While it is OK and A CHOICE, it is, obviously, NOT THE BEST CHOICE!

What I said about the primary stands. It is better changed more often than not. Remember, HD hasn't seemed all that interested in our bike's well being after the warranty period. We are aiming at LONG TERM reliability here and ten K on primary fluid is too long. To protect your two year warranty? No but they play the odds here to some extent. ALSO, the recommendations you posted DO NOT apply to ALL years and models. Do that if you like but I will go with my sense of security and logic. Unfiltered primary fluid should be changed frequently, IMHO. Your milage may vary and that is your right but don't say its true because the MOCO says it is. Truth has been elusive for them recently. Just ask anyone with a heat problem OR an 07 where the fix for the Transmission involves the OWNER buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, I think their extension of the primary fluid changes has more to do with removing the inspection cover and making it a PITA to refill than an improvement in the "secret sauce", LOL.

EZ

Bill, I just re read this and am sorry if I sound acerbic. It wasn't intended to be a blast at you, just that HD has had some real issues where their advice on lubrication is concerned, beginning with the YEARS when they told everyone synthetic oil was bad for the engines. Again, sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
'

Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WildBill2566

...You cannot tell how good your oil is standing up by smell, looks, the way it sounds,what great uncle festorsays,witchcraft, or black magic. Ok not sure about the last two but I doubt it.
Uncle Fester. lol
Damn that's funny, I don't care who ya are... [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil, how many miles?