Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Changing Oil with a MityVac

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
UltraFudd
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing Oil with a MityVac

I've got a tool that I use for changing the oil on my truck called a MityVac. Essentially, it's a plastic 10 quart tank and hand vacuum pump with a small hose attached that I stick down the dipstick tube on the truck. When I pump the MityVac, it pulls the oil from the oil sump, eliminating the need to pop the drain plug.

So, I'm thinking this ought to work on my FLHTCUI by pulling the dipstick, inserting the vacuum pickup tube and sucking out the old oil through there rather than having to jack the bike up and pulling the drain plug.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Ever tried it? If I slip the pickup tube into the oil tank sump, should that get most of the oil out? I'll suck out as much as I can, then spin the filter off and change that out.

Here's what it looks like:

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Changing Oil with a MityVac

I've heard that this pumps don't get all your dirt oil out of your motor, so that I wouldn't use it to change the oil. As it seems easier that the normal way (drain plug), you'll leave dirty oil in your motor that would mix with the new one as soon as you put the new in the tank.

For me, this pumps are not a good idea.

Regards,

Javi (www.easyrider.es)

Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I'll just continue with the old fashion way......remove the drain plug and let drain.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to jack an Electra Glide up to get a drain pan under it- I have a regular automotive-style plastic pan & it slides right under.
Javieret's right- those types of pumps don't get all the gradoo that's settled at the bottom of your oilpan that would normally be flushed out the drain hole with the old oil. I've never seen anyone use one of those setups on a motorcycle- they're usually reserved for doing oil changes on boats or fixed machinery that have limited access under the engine for draining oil. In that capacity it's a blessing, and for a motorcycle I guess it would work well for someone who has bad joints or other problems that prevents them from getting to the drainplug. But other than that- IMO for bikes it's an answer to a question no one's asking...

Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why bother with the pump. When the bike is on the side stand, the drain plug is at the lowest point and can be drained without any fuss at all and completely too.