Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Does everyone really use a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does everyone really use a torque wrench?

I'm not a wrench but I am going to change oil and filter, tranny and primary oil in my 07 Heritage Softail. I was curious about how many of you out there torque down all the plugs and screws. My torque wrench is a too big for the job.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Does everyone really use a torque wrench?

Not the oil plugs but I do use mine on all other bolts and screws. Along with Loctite.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I use German Torque. Gudentite.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every nut and bolt on amotorcycle has a torque specification. If torque values were not important the service manual would not list them. If someone can tighten all of the fasteners on their bike by feel and not go under or over the specified value that’s great. I am not good at judging torque values by feel. I use the Torque wrenches on everything that has a listed value.

Arcane

Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got both 1/2 and 3/8 drive. They aren't much money considering the damage you can do by winging it. Nobody can pull the exact same torque by feel each time. Back in the old days when disc brakes were coming onto the scene, it was tried in school. The differences in torque on 5 nuts with the same person tightening them was scarey.
Ron

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

I always use a torque wrench. Been wrenching for many years. If the factory feels its necessary to give a torque spec for a fastener, it isfor a very good reason. Break down and buy the proper tool for the job.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always have. I dont want an oil plug working loose and dumping oil. I usually set the torque right in the middle of the specified range, and blue locktite it as well.

WB

Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

If the bike is in my shop and am performing maintenance......I rarely use the torque wrench.

I've owned and worked on Harleys since around 1978.......I use to be **** and use the torque wrench on whatever the manual stated. However, I have done many of the same tasks many times over the years.....from my experience....

Never TRUST a torque wrench completely......have some common sense here. There are also many variables here......misreading the manual for inch/foot lbs, dry/lubed threads, clean threads, bolts stretch, extra thick gaskets, and the torque wrench may in need of a caliberation. So, when it feels too tight or you have a gut feeling that something is about to snap.....STOP now! Take a break and make sure you know what you are doing is right.

I do however always use the torque wrench on the heads, most brake work including discs, rear pulley, and definately on the axels. Anything inside the primary sees the torque wrench. Most other stuff......not much.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The O-rings on the drain plugs are easily torn...get yourself a TQ wrench that goes down to 0 ft lbs. I use the tq wrench on all the bolts I can fit it on. Never forget that in most cases, youare screwing a steel bolt into an Aluminum casting...easy to strip. After you've done it a while, your elbow gets "calibrated" and you get a feel for it, but it's still best to use the TQ wrench to be on the safe side. Catch the click style on sale at Sears.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Gadget
Tourer

IMO, factory (and other) manuals provide torque specs for EVERYTHING because it's more specific than saying "till it feels good enough". The exception is the oil filter where they say 1/4 to a 1/2 turn "finger tight"...with that said,

I never torque spark plugs or oil drain bolts or foot peg nuts etc.

I always torque engine components and anything else that is critical IMO, i.e. I'll use a torque wrench on a head or wheel bolt but not a fender strut (which is damn near impossible anyway cause you gotta use an open/box end wrench unless you take the tire off)...

Quick Reply: Does everyone really use a torque wrench?