Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:12 PM
jecedr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

I am buying a 2004, 1200 Sportster with 1000 miles on the odo. Is it too early to start using synthetic oil in this bike? Should I run dino oil a little longer?

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 09-28-2007, 07:23 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Change

An 04 with only a 1000 miles wow! Hopefully someone crazy enough to only put a 1000 miles gave you a good deal on price to boot. In answer to your oil question...no...in fact now is a perfect time. The bike was broke in after 500 & the 1000 mile range is the BEST time to switch to synthetic. That's exactly how I do it from new. Good luck & congrats on your sporty
-clutch-
P.S. You're more than welcome to PM me if you have anymore ???

Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a 2004 1200 also. We got it last year with only 158 miles on it. I went to Syn3 at the 1000 mile oil change. I just finished the 10,000 mile service and went to Red Line Oil in both motor and trans/primary. After finishing I told her before the first ride to pay attention to anything that might be different than before. I did not tell her I had changed anything other than I did the service. After the first ride she was amazed at how much smoother the shifting was. I guess if she noticed there must be something to the Red Line Oil claims. Good enough for me!

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use synthetic oil at any time, even when it is new. There are a lot of cars and also the HD bikes that come with synthetic in them from the factory. Use a quality oil and not the SYN 3 that the dealer sells.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 AM
08CVORK
Cruiser

Don't use any of Harley Davidson's oils, the 'SYN3' isn't even a true synthetic and they are made by an enemy of the USA. Why finance an enemy? Chevez says he is going to do away with the USA!

Also, use Redline that is not API certified for use with a catalitic converter. The American Petrolium Institute is also anti-American/USA.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 08CVORK

The American Petrolium Institute is also anti-American/USA.
Care to elaborate?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 AM
08CVORK
Cruiser

Yes, it's simple. The API is in bed with the oil companys who don't give a damn about consumers specifically and do precisely what the EPA mandates even though it usually has a direct detrimental effect on comsumers. So, who's on our side? API approved oils now have none of the pressure lubricating qualities (like in a flat lifter/camshaft situation) like they used to due to the EPAs claim that these additives are distroying catalitic converters. Here's another backward engineered solution to the polution problem - design an exhaust cleaning device whos use reguires that the lubricating oil must be altered enough that its use will destroy the engine! That makes a lot of sense, just like the EPA, API and oil companys shoving this "CHEMICALLY CORRECT OIL" down our throats "for the good of all".

I believe the US citizen gets screwed from every direction by whoever wants a little piece - everybody in the world! And lately, even our elected officials are doing the same. Now I'm on a rant again! Damn Democrats, damn Republicans, damn corrupt US Government. Hillery will correct all of this - she will have the government controlling every last speck of what we do!!!!Pissing off your back porch will land your *** in jail for a spell!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 AM
clutchglass
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 08CVORK

Don't use any of Harley Davidson's oils, the 'SYN3' isn't even a true synthetic and they are made by an enemy of the USA. Why finance an enemy? Chevez says he is going to do away with the USA!

Also, use Redline that is not API certified for use with a catalitic converter. The American Petrolium Institute is also anti-American/USA.
jecedr,
Amen to what 08CVORK and Glide are telling you. I'll resist the urge here to get on my mobil1 soapbox for too long (IMO it's the absolute BEST synthetic). Instead, I'll share an experience from this afternoon. The wife and I are looking at buying her a new SUV (probably end up being another suburban)...anyway as she was looking at replacing the "schoolbus" I started flipping hoods open on the performance rides. All I looked at ( a supercharged cadilac, dodge viper, super B, corvette) all had the mobil1 logo right on the oil filler cap. Looks like several different manufacturers agree with me. Now, I'll also put in a plug here for castrol GTX, and AMSOIL.I've never used them, but have a friend who is a tibologist (oil scientist) who says they are good products as well.
-clutch-

Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When is the last time you ever opened up a hood and saw the "amsoil" name printed on the oil cap?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
clutchglass
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glide

When is the last time you ever opened up a hood and saw the "amsoil" name printed on the oil cap?
never have...never used it either, but I've heard it's good oil (same with castrol GTX). I run mobil1 in everything I own (softail, quad, suburban, dodge ram) I also use the K&N oil filter on my softail...17mm nut built right in to the end of it makes removal/installation a snap...available in chrome or black...same price as the stealership ($14)...and available to order through autozone(where I buy my 20W50 mobil1 for V-Twins $8 a quart).
-clutch-