Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil level was REALLY full-observation

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007 | 09:00 AM
Ace07FXDL
|
Road Captain
Default Oil level was REALLY full-observation

I replaced my K&N air filter yesterday and noticed some oil on the backplate and in the filter. I had recently changed my oil to M1 v-twinn and put in a little less than 3 quarts and pre-filled my oil filter for almost exactly 3 quarts. The cold oil level was showing right at the top of the arrowed section of the dipstick after I changed the oil. I "thought" I was only a little over so when I saw the oil in my filter I took a Turkey Baster and with a hose in the end of it took some oil out. 3-4 big draws out of the crank and recheck----still showing at the top of the stick. huh....finallly after a few more draws out of the crankcase the oil level starts to go down on the stick. Got it down to the correct cold level and test rode it hard...no oil after that in my filter or on the backplate.Lesson I learned and the reason for posting is it looks to me that once you overfill the crank to a certain level it will only show on the stick as filled to the hot level but you may actually be WAY over that. The stick will only measure to the hot level.

Old 09-15-2007 | 09:25 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Default RE: Oil level was REALLY full-observation

Oil on the backing plate and air filter is from the breathers, not from an overfilled tank. As for the dipstick only reading to the hot level, it will read what is the tank/sump. Just don't overfill the tank/sump. Check the breather/air-filter oil situation after a few hundred miles. Then check the levels. You'll probably find the tank/sump about right and a little oil on the air filter. Hope this helps.