Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Messy oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Messy oil filter removal

Poking 2 holes in the filter works GREAT!! I've used it every time and it's worth the effort. In fact the 2 holes and a piece of plastic milk jug is the real deal. I've changed oil and maybe lost one drop.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: rbabos

This time I'm going to poke a hole in the bottom/out part of the filter and one in the top for air to get in. Put a funnel or whatever under it and let it drain out. Then I will remove the filter from the engine when it's empty. That way I should only have a couple of drops to clean up.
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm planning on giving it a shot this weekend.
I tried it a couple of weeks ago but it was a pain. Definately going to try the soda bottle thing. I hate having to degrease my front motormount every oil change - can't be doing it any good!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
choperules
Novice

Man you guys are doing it the hard way. Put a big pan under it, pull the filter, and let it run. Put the new filter on and spray it down with brake cleaner. How do you think the dealerships do it? I've done probably over 20,000 oil changes this way. It's simple.

Jason

Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

I was always told rubber, as in the front motor mount, isn't happy being drenched by petroleum products. I spray "greased lightning", which is a grease removing houeshold cleaner,on my mount after an oil change and hose the mount down with water to get all thecleaner off. It seems to work, but makes a mess in the driveway.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sargek

I was always told rubber, as in the front motor mount, isn't happy being drenched by petroleum products. I spray "greased lightning", which is a grease removing houeshold cleaner,on my mount after an oil change and hose the mount down with water to get all thecleaner off. It seems to work, but makes a mess in the driveway.
You are absolutely correct there. The brake cleaner also does a number on the rubber mounts too. Bad enough doing this sort of thing on your own ride but to tell others to do it

Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 PM
choperules
Novice

The amount of brake cleaner that comes in contact with the motor mount is not going to hurt it. Watch what your local dealerships do.

Jason

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
xcbiker
6th Gear

My mechanic told me to make a "channel" or "slide"out of a few layers of newspaper. It worked awesome! Even made a 45 degree bend into the oil pan -- worked perfect. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone seen an article on a new cartridge style oil filter available for Harley's? I swear I saw an add in one of the free HD mags, (Harley Enthusiests) or something like that. The filter canister opens at the outside end, you slide out the old cartridge, let it run a little and clean up, then slide a new cartridge in and screw the cover back on. It looked like a kind of cool option, if the filters are any good, and would eliminate the mess. I kick myself for throwing the mag away.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM
beepo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: xcbiker

My mechanic told me to make a "channel" or "slide"out of a few layers of newspaper. It worked awesome! Even made a 45 degree bend into the oil pan -- worked perfect. Doesn't get any easier than that.
Thanks for the idea. I've got the Kuryakyn Air Dam Toolbox mounted to the front of my Fatboy, and an oil change means a mandatory trip to thebike wash. I just tried your newspaper trick and it looks like an easy fix.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Cliff M
Advanced

Thanks for the tips. I used shop rags and try to be as fast as I can but still end up with some spills. I'll try the milk jug method next time.

Quick Reply: Messy oil filter removal