Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Mobil 1 Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 PM
tnjet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Gear Oil

Well....this may start another oil war, but I just switched from SYN3 in the trans to Mobile 1 gear oil. The difference is night and day. Much smoother shifts, getting in and out of neutral is much easier. Less clunk. All around much improved. I didn't expect this muchimprovement, but I'm a convert.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Mobil 1 Gear Oil

I'm not surprised, and it certainly shouldn't start an oil war.
H-D says Syn3 motor oil is OK in the tranny, and no doubt it will work as advertised and adequately lubricate the tranny because, contrary to popular forum belief, Syn3 is not a bad oil- it's just not the best synthetic on the market.
I would think Mobil 1, or any high quality gear oil, would definitely smooth out the shifting as compared to a motor oil in a gearbox.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:22 AM
scofield333
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tnjet

Well....this may start another oil war, but I just switched from SYN3 in the trans to Mobile 1 gear oil. The difference is night and day. Much smoother shifts, getting in and out of neutral is much easier. Less clunk. All around much improved. I didn't expect this muchimprovement, but I'm a convert.
Did the same thing, ran Syn3 for about 1,000 miles, change to mobile 75W90and have been running it for about 8,000 miles. Just changed out the tranny with Red Line Shock Proof Heavy and it made a big change as well..still use Mobile V-Twin for motor and Formula + for the Primary

Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: scofield333

...Just changed out the tranny with Red Line Shock Proof Heavy and it made a big change as well..still use Mobile V-Twin for motor and Formula + for the Primary
Good combination!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I've said before.....Harley transmissions were never designed to use engine oil. They were designed to use nothing but gear oil.

It does not matter who makes the gear oil, because any gear oil will do much better than engine oil.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

I've said before.....Harley transmissions were never designed to use engine oil. They were designed to use nothing but gear oil.

It does not matter who makes the gear oil, because any gear oil will do much better than engine oil.
Yep, even the MoCo seems to be agreeing. When Syn3 first came out, there was a big marketing campaign about using it for all three holes, you only needed to buy one oil for everything. I did this on my 03 Heritage and my 05 EGlide. However, my 06 Ultra manual and the shop manual specified the new Formula+ for the primay and trans. Seems HD backtracked a little only because they'd come out with a new product, semi- synthetic gear type lube but a little lighter than probably is optimum for the transmission because they specified its use in the primary as well.

Well, I aint buyin the company line anymore. Mobil 1 VTwin 20w50 in the engine, Formula+ in the primary and Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil in the tranny. That's the benefit of separating the compartments. You can run an optimum lubricant for the specific purpose. Ican't do this on my Suzuki 1200 Bandit as the motor oil lubes the clutch and the gear box as well as the motor, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna run one lube in a bike where I can put the best stuff possible in each hole.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dstockton

Yep, even the MoCo seems to be agreeing. When Syn3 first came out, there was a big marketing campaign about using it for all three holes, you only needed to buy one oil for everything. I did this on my 03 Heritage and my 05 EGlide. However, my 06 Ultra manual and the shop manual specified the new Formula+ for the primay and trans. Seems HD backtracked a little only because they'd come out with a new product, semi- synthetic gear type lube but a little lighter than probably is optimum for the transmission because they specified its use in the primary as well.

Well, I aint buyin the company line anymore. Mobil 1 VTwin 20w50 in the engine, Formula+ in the primary and Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil in the tranny. That's the benefit of separating the compartments. You can run an optimum lubricant for the specific purpose. Ican't do this on my Suzuki 1200 Bandit as the motor oil lubes the clutch and the gear box as well as the motor, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna run one lube in a bike where I can put the best stuff possible in each hole.
Agreed, and it's odd how the '08 parts catalog still indicates Syn3 can be used in all three holes, and the same is still shown on the Syn3 bottle label. I guess they'll get around to changing these, but to be honest I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether my Harley had gear oil or motor oil in the tranny...

BTW- I had the predecessor to your 1200 Bandit- the GSX 1100G. That was one of the best bikes I ever had- blindingly fast, very comfortable, reliable as a hammer, and a helluva sleeper... [sm=badbadbad.gif]

I must admit I do miss the UJM's...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
scofield333
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read the bottle of Mobile V-Twin it says the same thing, designed for use in the Motor, Tranny and Primary. I agree with EVOrideron this subject, tranny, primary and motor are 3 different enviroments (please don't bash me for spelling errors)

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil V Twin in the Engine Mobil 75/90 in the Gear Box

What should we put in the primary?

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 09-06-2007, 02:27 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: NCCopBikeRider

Mobil V Twin in the Engine Mobil 75/90 in the Gear Box

What should we put in the primary?

Ride Em Carry Em
As far as the primary goes.....any engine oil from 10w40 to 20w50 work just fine. Usually 10w30 and below will be "Energy Conserving" and should be avoided as the clutch does not get along with it very well.

I have found regular 15w40 diesel oil to work very well in Harley primarys. It is about the right viscosity, available almost anywhere, and is somewhat inexpensive. The original Harley primary fluid was nothing but 10w40 with a few extra additives anyways.

All my Harleys use 15w40 in the primary. One of my Electra Glides has 180,000 miles and has used nothing but regular 15w40 in the primary. Never once a problem.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Gear Oil