Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Cam shaft bearings - not!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cam shaft bearings - not!

Should fire the lazy *** machinist in that department. Who the hell will do bores and not chamfer them. Unfriggin believable. Just no excuse for that kind of crap in the pictures you posted.
Ron

Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Should fire the lazy *** machinist in that department. Who the hell will do bores and not chamfer them. Unfriggin believable. Just no excuse for that kind of crap in the pictures you posted.
Ron
You are correct "about no excuse for that crap",but why fire the machinist?
IMO it is more of a management/QC/engineers issue.There are manufacturing guidlines set up by engineers and the owners of the company.
When mass producing parts,there is an exceptable quality limit.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Ron
You are correct "about no excuse for that crap",but why fire the machinist?
IMO it is more of a management/QC/engineers issue.There are manufacturing guidlines set up by engineers and the owners of the company.
When mass producing parts,there is an exceptable quality limit.
Well then fire the person who put it in the box and shipped it. Step one in quality control. The part was clearly flagged with a mark, but still made it out the door.
Ron

Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: buick455gs

I have attached5 photos of the new 06-08 cam plate I recieved for my roller chain conversion. Two of them show the casting flash/porosity which was marked by someone prior to me getting the plate from the dealer. The other photo shows more casting flash that was not cleaned up and the other two just show the inner and outer sides of the cam plate bearing where they did not bother to chamfer the outside edge.This is not the quality I would expect from HD but this issue was also mentioned in American Iron so it is not isolated to this plate. I could clean up the plate and removed the burrs but I am returing it for another one.
I just spoke with the guy who made that cam plate and he said: " yu yankee biker full of dung. me no make a mistake on clam prate but make touzens of dem fo harrey davislon. yu go bye bye now!"

Well I guess he's right........

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
buick455gs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lable on the box said Made In USA. Maybe just the box is made in the USA I am not sure. What I am sure about HD is cutting every corner they can and I bet the drawing for the part does not call for a chamfer on the outside edge of the bearing as it would be one additional tool change. If they face cut that side prior to fnishing the bearing bore there has to be some burr left. The proosity and clear identification of it was even more disapointing as somehow it did get in a bag and shipped.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: buick455gs

The lable on the box said Made In USA. Maybe just the box is made in the USA I am not sure. What I am sure about HD is cutting every corner they can and I bet the drawing for the part does not call for a chamfer on the outside edge of the bearing as it would be one additional tool change. If they face cut that side prior to fnishing the bearing bore there has to be some burr left. The proosity and clear identification of it was even more disapointing as somehow it did get in a bag and shipped.
Yeah, I hear you. I looked at those photos and that part looks like chit. I would be afraid of some of that flash metal breaking off and doing all kinds of damage rolling around in there. I have spent 28 years working in the automotive industry and after what I see going on can tell you that when I get another bike I think I will look for a nice used one that has not been modded versus buying a new one again. Those pics just confirm my thoughts.......

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Well then fire the person who put it in the box and shipped it. Step one in quality control. The part was clearly flagged with a mark, but still made it out the door.
Ron
The person that put it in the box is just a grunt.Probly doesnt even know what part is what!
Fire HDfor for trying to cut corners!
The machine shop I work at chamfers all the parts on the CNC's when ever possible.Otherwise it is done by hand.
Most prints have a callout for breaking sharp corners.Obviously MOCO has no standards for this.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Ron
The person that put it in the box is just a grunt.Probly doesnt even know what part is what!
Fire HDfor for trying to cut corners!
The machine shop I work at chamfers all the parts on the CNC's when ever possible.Otherwise it is done by hand.
Most prints have a callout for breaking sharp corners.Obviously MOCO has no standards for this.
I'm just yanking your chain, you know. But damn it, I want someones head to roll
Ron

Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 PM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rbabos:
I assume you mean 2000 -3000 miles for the oil change.

200 -300 is ridiculous - I would have to change my oil and filter every weekend!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM
rbabos
Banned

That was in reference to brand new, first engine run. After that I don't have a problem with manual recommendations.
Ron

Quick Reply: Cam shaft bearings - not!