Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil pump issue or??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:26 PM
noriderz
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump issue or??

Sounds like it’s starved for oil could it be the oil pump or what ?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8933.MOV (18.33 MB, 30 views)
Old 12-07-2022, 05:42 PM
PeterB
Road Master
Received 923 Likes on 417 Posts

Or a collapsed lifter, or a spat out wrist pin clip, or a broken ring, or a hung up valve in guide or any number of other things. I don't think you can positively diagnose failed oil pump by ear. Need to put a pressure gauge on it and check the oil pressure. Is the oil light coming on above idle? Does the oil tank/pan get hot? Can you see oil returning or at least moving in through the filler hole?

What was the last thing on the bike that was worked on before the noise started? How many miles does the bike have on it?

Old 12-07-2022, 05:49 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,196 Likes on 3,374 Posts

Sounds like every rotation of the crank, so I don't think it's a lifter.

OP, we know nothing of the history, etc.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 PM
noriderz
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has 15500 k on the bike the bottom end was replaced at 7700 miles.. the video is short because it will only let me load up so big of a file, but I started it twice and it ran fine for a couple seconds and then started making noise so it does get quiet as normal for the first few seconds, which is the reason I figured the oil I do not have a oil pressure gauge. I’ll have to go buy one and check it, but I cannot let it run but for about 30 seconds or so and then it starts making that noise. I did change the oil about 200 miles before that .. about two days before this happened which I did not ride the bike but about 50 miles I put in marvels mystery oil, and the bike quieted down a lot and sounded great. When I parked it about two days later I went to the store which is about a mile from where I live and back and it was fine and then later on that day, I fire the bike back up and I got about two blocks before the oil light came on.. the bike has adjustable pushrods and it has a different cam and this bike originally came with a faulty oil pump and Harley had them all replaced December 2019 with the upgraded oil pump. If I missed any of your questions please let me know and I will make sure I get to them.