Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Used Oil Analyses Thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Used Oil Analyses Thread ...

is now posted at the top. There are two entries so far, Redline 20w-50 and Redline MTL.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Used Oil Analyses Thread ...

Great idea, but seems to me that real value will be achieved when other UOA's are added for different oils. Then comparison can be made, albeit imperfect ones since the bikes and road conditon would not be the same. That said, I look forward to more UOA's when they are added.

BTW - I use Redline 20W50 and MTL so these data interest me.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

I'll second that. Great idea, thank you.

Hopefully others will add to what you have started.

I assume that the miles on the bike was at the end of the oil use so when you drained the oil. If I am correct in this, I would expect the numbers to improve on the next change.

I live in the UK, so dont know if the UEA's are available to me, how do I go about it assumeing a US company would do it for me.

Thanks again

WB

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm certainly not happy with what I see in the results thus far since I use Redline MTL in the primary and JUST ordered 3 qts of Redline Shockproof for the tranny($30+shipping) since both Redline products analyzed so far have generated less than desirable results........uuugggghhh..[&:]

Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

I'm certainly not happy with what I see in the results thus far since I use Redline MTL in the primary and JUST ordered 3 qts of Redline Shockproof for the tranny($30+shipping) since both Redline products analyzed so far have generated less than desirable results........uuugggghhh..[&:]
Look at the mileage, its a young engine, the numbers will drop on the next oil change.

WB

Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WildBill2566

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Look at the mileage, its a young engine, the numbers will drop on the next oil change.

WB
I've only got 5k on my motor. I thought all this GL-5 based oil/lube stuff was bullet proof at any mileage?[&:]

Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
LBussy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

is now posted at the top. There are two entries so far, Redline 20w-50 and Redline MTL.
Those results are really out of line with what I've seen on my oil, but I have been using the 20W-60HD not the 50. I'll have a look for my sheets and post the results if I can find them.

The silica content makes me wonder of the head breathers are properly vented and operational, and if you are using somerhing like a K&N Air Filter. That's oil/an engine that has been abused IMHO. Silica means there's external contamination.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

What I mean is a young engine will have a high amount of contaminants in the oil for a couple of changes. If you were to get the oil checked at the first 1000 mile change I suspect you would be horrified.

As parts bed in they wear at a relatively high rate at first, and I would expect that to be the same with any oil ever made.

All I am saying is 'One swallow does not a summer make'

Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
LBussy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I mean is a young engine will have a high amount of contaminants in the oil for a couple of changes. If you were to get the oil checked at the first 1000 mile change I suspect you would be horrified.
I completely agree ... what I was saying is the high levels of silica are what gives me cause for pause ... the shearing and metals are normal from what I've seen (for an engine breaking in). The silica is something external to the oil or it's performance.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LBussy

I completely agree ... what I was saying is the high levels of silica are what gives me cause for pause ... the shearing and metals are normal from what I've seen (for an engine breaking in). The silica is something external to the oil or it's performance.
LBussy

Is THIS(click this link) your analysis here?

Quick Reply: Used Oil Analyses Thread ...