Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temps?

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Nothing but Redline in my bikes. A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO...
...there's no evidence that I've seen that Redline is superior to any of its major competitors, among them Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.
Never said there was...

Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

230 is a good baseline. I have heard mobil 1 is a good oil for high temps but have not used it yet.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 PM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twiceretired

WTF? MisterB and Rickxx, would you refresh my memory? When and what did I ever try to sell you, or anyone else for that matter?
relax there sparky. no one's questioning your manhood....we're just interested in your secret oil that will drop your engine temps that much. i'm open to any product that's fits that bill. if you don't want to share that's fine.have a good day.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Softy
Road Master

I use drag specialties syn,and my oil normally runs at 200.I also have a hd oil cooler. In Sturgis,outside temp 110* in traffic my oil temp went up to 230. Not hot enough to worry about.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: MisterB
Yeah, really. What do you bet this guy is one of those amzoil dealers trolling for customers?
Can't be. He said it was a brand never before mentioned on this forum before--and, uh, I think we've heard Amsoil mentioned a time or two here.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Nothing but Redline in my bikes. A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO...
...there's no evidence that I've seen that Redline is superior to any of its major competitors, among them Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.
Never said there was...
The way your two sentences were worded it would seem to translate that using "nothing but Redline" is a "no-brainer." Would that not mean that it is in a class by itself compared to others as a means of cooling hot engines? I assume by your above reply that I misinterpreted your statement, which I accept. No informed person would dispute that Redline is a top-rung product, among other top-rung products on the market.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Never said there was...
The way your two sentences were worded it would seem to translate that using "nothing but Redline" is a "no-brainer." Would that not mean that it is in a class by itself compared to others as a means of cooling hot engines? I assume by your above reply that I misinterpreted your statement, which I accept. No informed person would dispute that Redline is a top-rung product, among other top-rung products on the market.

Must be a slow Sunday if we're arguing semantics...

What I said was:
"Nothing but Redline in my bikes."
A truthful statement that I have no lubricant in my motorcycles other than Redline.
(While I currently have only this brand in my bikes, this is not to say thay I haven't or wouldn't use something else if necessary.)

"A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO..."
Another truthful statement that In My Opinion, the selection of a Group V poly-ester-based lubricant in a hot running air-cooled engine is a "no-brainer," slang for an idea or solution that is arrived at easily, or a course of action that is simple and/or easy to do.
According to chemical engineers, poly-ester-based oils have a distinct advantage over PAO-based oils in a high-heat environment. (This is where the "IMO" came from.)
I formed my opinion that such oils would be an easy selection when choosing a lubricant for my air-cooled engine based on the scientific evidence presented by lubrication experts which, BTW, I am not.

I agree that Redline is a top-rung product among other top-rung products. Any of the oils listed in this thread will easily take a H-D engine well into old age with little lubricant-based variation. But regardless of brand, to suggest that there there is no difference between a PAO-based oil and a poly-ester based oil in a hot environment is wrong- at least according to the engineering articles I've read over the years.
But no one is perfect, not even engineers. So if someone has evidence that this is incorrect, please post a link to it as I'd be interested in reading it.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Must be a slow Sunday if we're arguing semantics...
Actually, it was a slow Saturday night for me. It's now a slow Sunday because it's too hot to ride. [sm=smiley13.gif]

"A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO..."
Another truthful statement that In My Opinion, the selection of a Group V poly-ester-based lubricant in a hot running air-cooled engine is a "no-brainer," slang for an idea or solution that is arrived at easily, or a course of action that is simple and/or easy to do.
According to chemical engineers, poly-ester-based oils have a distinct advantage over PAO-based oils in a high-heat environment. (This is where the "IMO" came from.)
I formed my opinion that such oils would be an easy selection when choosing a lubricant for my air-cooled engine based on the scientific evidence presented by lubrication experts which, BTW, I am not.
I'm no engineer either, but what counts are real-world results. All the synthetic products we commonly mention here can handle far higher temps than we'll likely see in our HD engines, whether PAO or PE-based. I ran another brand, probably a PAO but I've never verified it, in my old RK for 106k miles before selling and saw no change in compression or oil consumption in the nine years I owned it. It also showed no sludge when a rocker cover was removed and inspected. It ran across TX in '98 in 107° weather without protest along with countless trips in weather nearly that hot. My point is that if the PAO is inferior to PE oils, when will this difference manifest itself? My contention is probably never in the context of normal ownership, or even double that mileage. In torture tests I've seen on oils where heat was a part of the tests, the differences between most synthetic oils regardless of base stock were not great.

I also contend that some formulas may be superior not because of base stock but additives. When you balance it out, who's to say who is superior to whom in any given category? The tests I've seen reflect this.

I agree that Redline is a top-rung product among other top-rung products. Any of the oils listed in this thread will easily take a H-D engine well into old age with little lubricant-based variation. But regardless of brand, to suggest that there there is no difference between a PAO-based oil and a poly-ester based oil in a hot environment is wrong- at least according to the engineering articles I've read over the years.
But no one is perfect, not even engineers. So if someone has evidence that this is incorrect, please post a link to it as I'd be interested in reading it.
I'm sure you'll agree that finding solid evidence for these questions is difficult, and again the final formula is as important as the starting point, IMO. Who's to say that someday a properly formulated fossil oil won't surface that will out-perform the best synthetic. I've never seen it, but I don't think it is impossible with today's technology.

In an MCN oil test in Feb. 2003 (page 22) you'll see that Redline and Castrol Syntec had about the same "Heat Stability/Aging" score, both of which were high, and I don't believe Syntec is a PE-based oil. In fact, it is usually mentioned in the context of being a sub-par performer, which I doubt. In that test, Syntec out-performed Amsoil, which I think is a PE-based oil. In fact, the top 10 on the list showed only a few percentage-points difference between them.

What I like about Redline more than its base stock is the moly content. I'm a firm believer in using moly as an additive, and at least in 2003 Redline contained more than any other of the MCN samples, about 900ppm. It's so high I would think twice about using it in a clutch

Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys have entirely too much time on your hands!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

LOL, "Less filling!", "Tastes great!"

Agree about the Redline though. The Class V poly esthers, from everything I've read, are the best choice for heat handling. Maybe overkill in these applications, I don't know but the 20/60 aspect appeals to me too. I know my scoot runs quieter with it an burns NO oil, measurable anyway.

EZ(Yep, bored, hot here too AND no game available right now for us)

[IMG]local://upfiles/3789/D229FB3B9FD240F2856F3C680AA6391D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Oil Temps?