Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 AM
MisterB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temps?

ORIGINAL: Soft06

ORIGINAL: twiceretired

I'm also running an '07 softtail, and with Redlinewould hitaround 230, but normally ran around 215. I've since switched to another brand of oil (one that's never been mentioned on this forum), and consistently run 200. Hit 206 once with my wife on, travelling up over the Cascade mountain range at about 75 MPH. No other changes, just the oil.
Curious minds wait with anticipation.....for secret oil brand.
Yeah, really. What do you bet this guy is one of those amzoil dealers trolling for customers?

Old 08-12-2007, 03:51 PM
BarryN
Tourer

I was worried until I read this thread because I am heading out this coming Tues for 12days, 6 states and approx 3800 miles and my HD dealer said that I should buy a oil cooler before I leave but instead I bought a dig. oil temp guage and in San Diego I don't think I need a oil coolier because our temps don't run that high but was a little worried about the trip. HD oil coolier and laber to put it on is going to be about $450.00. Och. I am running synthetic oil. HD says that the 96 engines run hotter than the 88s.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Hate to be repetitious BUT seems appropriate here.........................

"PolyEster (RedLine) oils have by far the best performance in extreme high temperatures, and are the preferred oil in old "air- cooled" Nortons. I put "air-cooled" in parenthesis as one could also call these engines "prayer- cooled." The Norton 750 commando will destroy a Group I oil fill in 75 miles on a 100 degree day. No kidding. The Brits really did not understand until about 1990 that some of us live in places where the temperatures get over 80 degrees and cities are more than 10 miles apart. If you love those old British twins, you need to find a good supply for RedLine oil."

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

EZ

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing but Redline in my bikes. A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO...

Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 PM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redline for me. maybe that guy's secret oil is......snake oil and he's a snake oil salesman.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

WTF? MisterB and Rickxx, would you refresh my memory? When and what did I ever try to sell you, or anyone else for that matter? Do you see Amsoil conspiracies lurking around EVERY post? Are you two really that stupid? Or just Redline groupies following the pack? Have either of you ever had your oil analyzed? Or did you buddy Bubba just tell you that he drove 37,314 miles and didn't have a problem, so it's all good? Sounds like my elephant repellant: no elephants here, so it must be working!!! Really sharp. I do appologize for suggesting anything but Redline, but I have to tell you, I had it in both my Harleys. Analyzed badly in the engine and primary of the Deuce, and the tranny in the Sportster. Haven't recieved the results of the Deuce tranny or Sportster engine, but based on what I've seen so far, Redline won't go back in my bikes. What am I using (selling)? No one's business by mine. I'll run my oil of choice (and no, not Amsoil), as should all, I'll have it tested, and if it works, I'll continue, if not I'll change. At least I'll make an informed decision.
Have to say this is the end for me here. I'll not confuse you to idiots with fact; your minds, small as they appear to be, are clearly made up. AMF.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

"Analyzed badly in the engine and primary of the Deuce, and the tranny in the Sportster. "

twiceretired, who did the analysis and could you share the results please. I'd be interested in seeing that as it is in conflict with my own , admittedly anecdotal, experiences. Not knocking Amsoil or whatever you are using (secret sauce?) but would have to see what you call "analyzed badly". Group five oils usually analyze pretty well from what I've read and been told so I'm really interested in contrary evidence.

Thanks,
EZ

Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

I'll be posting the results from twiceretired's UOA shortly. There will be a top thread for UOAs. Stand by!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Thanks pococj. I saw an analysis report on the site mentioned above for Redline 20/50 in a Buell, using a Toyota filter (don't ask, guy said he worked at the dealership and got them cheap). He had the stuff in for a year and over 7K, I believe, and it seemed to come out very well. Several others there commented and seemed impressed so I'd really like to know if there is a contrary report available and if it is meaningful to most of us.

EZ

Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Nothing but Redline in my bikes. A no-brainer for hot running air-cooled engines, IMO...
It's also a "no-brainer" to use any other high-quality synthetic oil, and there's no evidence that I've seen that Redline is superior to any of its major competitors, among them Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.

Quick Reply: Oil Temps?