Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

1990 ElectraGlide fork oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
uktzero
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ElectraGlide fork oil change?

I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience changing out the fork oil in a 1990 FLHS or similar bike?

I read on a different thread that someone was able to hook up a vacuum source to the Schrader valve for airing up the front air suspension and draw the new oil back into the forks, and that the vacuum method was one that was commonly used and easy to do ... the operation sounds really easy, and it's something that I want to do soon – like 12 minutes from now

I have the OEM factory service manual, and I don't see it mentioning the use of a vacuum pump to suck the new oil into the forks, it does explain how to do it the long and hard way, which is what I'm hoping to avoid – if I can do this easy and fast, I’ll do it all the time

It's been an unknown while since it's been changed, probably a couple of whiles … I’m sure it’s nasty in there and I plan on doing rapid fork oil changes every 500 miles or so until it comes out nice and clean, and then go back to doing it with every oil change (I'm **** about changing the fluids/filters in my vehicles and I plan on dropping all 3 drivetrain fluids, and the fork oil every 2000-3000 miles and using premium oils) … this Harley is treating me right, and I'm going to return the favor and treat it right

I really like the idea of sucking the new oil into the forks through the drain plug ... that's exactly how I want to do it if possible

So ... does anyone here use a vacuum apparatus to draw the new fork oil back into the forks after it’s been drained? … And if so, where do I get a vacuum pump that will connect to my air suspension fitting? ... is it a Harley part?

Also, I would really appreciate any insight into exactly which type and brand of oil I should be running in my forks – I know that there are dozens of different theories on the oil, but I want to hear them so I can decide for myself based on other members experiences … I'm not one to cheap out when it comes to lubricants, but I don’t like having to order it and have it shipped either, so hopefully there’s some good oil that I can get locally (I have a feeling there will be)

I read in another post how important it is to change the fork oil in a Harley frequently, and what a difference it can make in the way that the bike handles and rides … I'm excited to get this changed out and clean again – I currently like the way my FLHS rides, if changing the oil, or putting a different viscosity or type in it can improve the ride/handling, I'm all over that!

Currently the air suspension seems to work perfectly, I've tested the anti-dive mechanism and it operates like it should … for now, I’m running with no air pressure in the front, and 15lbs in the rear because I don’t have the air pump to pump up the front air suspension yet (it’s been ordered and is on the way)

Thanks in advance for any help … I'm not new to bikes at all, but this is my first Harley, and I am adjusting to the fact that they need a lot more maintenance than Japanese bikes do, and in a lot more places … I honestly don’t have any problem with that, but I want to do it right and treat this bike like a million bucks so I can still be riding it when I'm old and gray

One last thing … when my fancy air pump arrives for the front air ride, what pressure are you guys running with? … it’s usually just me on the bike, and I like a nice cushy ride, but I don’t want to bottom out at all – I was thinking about 10LBS in the front, but please tell me if I'm way off on that number

Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
uktzero
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1990 ElectraGlide fork oil change?

Am I doing something wrong here? ...It’s hard for me to believe that nobody has personal experience changing the fork oil in an ElectraGlide … Is the ’90 that much different than other years?

Any advice would really be appreciated - I've read amazing things on this forum so far and it seems like everybody has an opinion about maintenance, especially when it comes to lubrication issues ... I'm going to be dropping the oil and filter today or tomorrow and I'd love to change out the fork oil at the same time

Any recommendations about viscosity, oil brand, toolsor methods of doing the whole operation? … good, bad or ugly, I’d like to hear them - please?