Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

What do I do if I only have two holes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I do if I only have two holes?

Ahem, in my SPORTSTER [8D]

Right, now that we are all on the same page. Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I am a woman, and also (and not necessarily because) clueless mechanically.
After wading through the ridiculously large volume of information on the net about what oil to shove where and how often, I'm still a tad confuddled.

I know I want to run a synthetic in the motor. I know that asking what is the best won't win me any favors nor clear answers so I won't bother.

I also want to run the 'right' something in the primary/trans. Synthetic. However, I'm getting confused over whether I'm supposed to run the same as the motor oil (which doesn't seem 'right' to me - I subscribe to the gears have different needs philosophy), however, I see a lot of people talking about gear oils, and heavier weight oils for the trans, but not for the primary and they all seem to be people with big twins, rather than the 2 holed sporty. - which shares its primary/trans fluids (if I understood that maze of information correctly).

So what the heck do I shove in my second hole people? The only tranny fluid on the HD website is DINO, and doesn't list its weight, and the owners manual says use Sport-trans, but it seems like they don't sell it any more.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH
Help

I have 200 miles (aka a week) to get this decided and ordered for my 1000 mile service.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: What do I do if I only have two holes?

Hey scooterbooter. I have used Amsoil 20w-50 in my scoot for the last 3 oil changes. I still use the HD sport transfluid because my brother in law said it could mess up the clutch plates. Tim

Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HD is now recommending the new Harley Davidson Formula+ for use in primary and transmission. If you are uncertain about what to buy, go to your dealer and ask about your choices.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Loanshark
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd use the sportrans fluid, if they still make it.

If not, I think I'd use what harley calls for in place of it.

I ran syn3 in both (back when I still had a sporty) for 2500 miles with no problems. this was based on my dealers advise. In my Fatboy I run mobil1 15w50 auto oil in the engine, I'm switching to mobil1 75 w90 in the tranny, and syn3 in the primary.

HTH