Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
jlames
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel in oil

I have 99 Dyan Wide Glide and went out this am to start her up for run and I've got oily gas running out of the breather hole in my air filter backing plate. I pulled the dipstick and smell gas in the crankcase. Looking at the tube, it goes directly from the back of the air cleaner plate to the chrome tube that runs between the heads. Anybody have any ideas? Harley told me it ight be a lock in the diaphram of the fuel petcock but there's no diaphram there; at least there's no tube running to it's solid body. Nothing in back of the petcock at all and the front is the typical Off/On/Reserve flipper. Any help you can provide would be great.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: fuel in oil

Sounds like a sticking or leaky float valve in the carb. Do you turn the petcock off? And there ain't no dipstick that goes into the crankcase.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM
jlames
6th Gear

AsI said in another post, here's the deal. When I crank and start, it comes shooting out of the breather hole connected to the tube which is in turn connected to the chrome breather tube that connects the two heads. The petcock isn't stock nor is the bike but that has nothing to do with it because it's ben firn for a year or so since it finished its transformation . Nothing was done to the engine except the carb was rejetted to match the Vance and Hines. The feul that comes shooting out of the breather tube is oily gas; 99% gas, 1% oil, just enough to give it the look. When I pull the dipstick, I smell gas on it. As for where the dipstick goes, crankcase or not, whereever it goes, it smells like gas. I'm just lookin' for a little help here. I've got a ride for cancer tomorrow and, well, I'm just lookin' for some help from people smarter than I am.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 AM
jlames
6th Gear

Also, Skip, can you explain how the fuel would flow from the heads into the breather tube ppicking up oil residue? Thnaks. I'm pulling my hair out here and the big Dyna Wide glide Manual is worth sqat in this instance.
Thnaks again.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
juaniosa
Advanced

I have the same problem with my 84 evo its embrassing turning it on at work it pisses out like pint of gas