Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn3 in the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Syn3 in the transmission

Here's a test that you syn 3 guys can do to tell you something about syn 3 in the trans. and how well it works for you.

When you drain the trans oil (syn 3) look at the magnet on the plug and see how much ferrous metal is on there in the form of fuzz. If you want proof once and for all how well syn 3 lubes the trans, switch to Mobil 1 75/90 or redline shockproof heavy this oil change and next oil change notice how much fuzz is there then when you dump this out next time. Granted there will be some left in the case from the last oil change using the syn 3 but there will be almost nothing. NEXT oil change after you have run the better oil in the trans for a few thousand miles, drain it again and see if you find anything on the plug at all. I've done this and one thing I know for sure is that less fuzz = less wear. It's GEAR MATERIAL guys WEAR on the gears!

There's been a number of trans bearings going bad using syn 3 oil and shifter forks blued because of poor lubrication with syn 3 . Your bike your choice here.

The 06 bikes no longer advise use of Syn 3 in the trans from HD, wonder why?

The dealers are pushing syn 3 because they sell it and make money doing it. Your warrantee will be over in most cases when the trans takes a dump.

I put this post in the DIY area.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

You tell them Bill, I mean it just makes more since to run something in the tranny thet's made for it, don't ya think, I do and I will, even a freind of mine switched from the syn3 to motul syn trans. fluid, about the same asMobil1 75w-90 I guess.
Remember what Donnie Peterson said in the AIM article, he said he would not and did not run motor oil in the trans due th the shear factor, he claims that the teeth on the gears will chop up the shear factor way to fast for it to do any good, and I will agree.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: WildBill76

I don't mean to stir up any hard feelings, but I thought Sportsters had Two cavitys. The Engine #1 ( Oil Tank ) and that the Primary and Transmission #2 shared their lube. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are right! My mistake. So, I checked the redline website and it rates as a 75w250...WOW! I may change my mind here since I haven't changed my oil yet. I think I'll check it out with my local mechanics........if they use it then I'll probably get a couple quarts and give it a try. Thanks to all you guys! KB[sm=biker.gif]

Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealers are pushing syn 3 because they sell it and make money doing it. Your warrantee will be over in most cases when the trans takes a dump.

[/quote]

I just got back from Summit Racing (which is gearhead heaven in this area) They told me the syn3 is "ok, but if you plan to keep the bike long term....I'd use the redline because no matter how hard you run your bike it won't burn out." I picked up 4 quarts. KB

Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if Harley Davidson is specifying a particular oil rating as in SE or SA or whatever so that they would not have a legal reason to void the warranty because of the use of any particular oil that you might use. Requiring the use of their oil is not the most honest policy I have ever heard of. I love my RG and it is as American as it gets in the motorcycle world, but ***** should be good to the people who have made him rich. It seems to be enough that most of the shiny junk in the dealerships are priced about ten times as high as comparable aftermarket products.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 AM
brianp25
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is syn3 ok for the engine and primary?.....i have syn3 in my tranny but ill be goin sat to have it changed, so is it ok in the other two or should change all of it?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Syn3 is fine in your engine & primary. While I don't use it, I wouldn't have any reservations about putting it in the tranny either if it came to it.
HD specs Formula+ for the tranny & primary, but the ads for Syn3 still promote it as acceptable for all three holes.
If any part of your drivetrain took a dumpwith Syn3HD would have a hard time denying warranty coverage...

Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brianp, the biggest problem with syn III is it IS OVERPRICED. It is semi-syn, not full syn like Amsoil, Redline, Mobile One, Royal Purple, etc.

While I use Redline myself, I'd be the first to tell you the biggest bargain in the oil kingdom, IMHO, is Mobile One 15/50 for around twenty bucks a GALLON.

Add to that that HD sources its Syn III from Hugo Chavez' CITGO and you have another reason to avoid supporting an anti-American dictator by using his oil in your AMERICAN bike!

Oh, the irony!!!!!!

LOL, but hey, just my "bent" on the subject.
EZ

Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Add to that that HD sources its Syn III from Hugo Chavez' CITGO and you have another reason to avoid supporting an anti-American dictator by using his oil in your AMERICAN bike!

EZ
AMEN!!!