Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Mobil One V-Twin to Redline oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil One V-Twin to Redline oil?

I just (3 weeks ago) did the complete oil change to get all the Syn3 out of the crank and went with Mobil One 20W50 V-Twin in the crank and primary and Mobil One 70W90 Syn Gearlube in the tranny, and was thinking about going with Redline 20W50 for the crank and Redline MTL in the primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny next change and was wondering what you guys think about another complete oil change where u take the return oil line off the tank and get all the oil out of the crank.The last time i did this, it was a real biatch to get the line to snap back into place and anyway i was going to try the RL product because they say its a Group 5 and the Mobil One line is a Group 4. Your thoughts on just doing a standard oil change would be appreciated....ride oooooon !

Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Default RE: Mobil One V-Twin to Redline oil?

You don't need to do a "complete" oil change. Advantage is probably very minimal. If it really bothers you, check Todd's Harley Pictures Forum for his "extra Qt. oil change where he , in effect, accomplishes about the same thing by running a fresh qt. through extra with his change. Says it turns clean before the qt. runs out.

EZ

http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix/tow1.msnw

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

You don't need to do a "complete" oil change. Advantage is probably very minimal. If it really bothers you, check Todd's Harley Pictures Forum for his "extra Qt. oil change where he , in effect, accomplishes about the same thing by running a fresh qt. through extra with his change. Says it turns clean before the qt. runs out.

EZ

http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix/tow1.msnw
Thats what i did (the one gt. oil change) when i was refferring to the "complete oil change), just meaning i got most of the old (Syn3) oil out of the bottom end of the crankcase.I just wondered if i should even bother with it the next time switching from M1 to RL vs. the Syn3 to M1 i just did ??? It's my understanding that the Syn3 starts out as a Group 3 and the M1 is a Group 4 and the RL is a Group 5...just wondering is all....L8r ! When i did the "complete oil change" that i found on this site it mentioned to use a 3/8 A/C-fuel line disconnect tool ( small plastic tool u insert to release locking clips that secure the oil line to the oil tank) and it turned out all i (neice's husband/certified mechanic) had to do was squeeze those 2 little clips with his fingers and not even needing the tool, BUT popping that return oilline back into the oil tank proved to be quite a challenge (a lot of pushing and wiggle'n ) till it finally snapped into place.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

I wouldn't worry about it.I think theAmsoil AND Mobile one are BOTH grp.4 oils. Amsoil has "special high milage oil" that is group 3, I believe but the MC oils are group 4. Anyway, they are compatable and only about a half qt. remains if you let it get good and hot and drain it long enough. LOL, clean oil is usually the least of our problems anyway. Hard not to obsess though, I know!

EZ

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

I wouldn't worry about it.I think theAmsoil AND Mobile one are BOTH grp.4 oils. Amsoil has "special high milage oil" that is group 3, I believe but the MC oils are group 4. Anyway, they are compatable and only about a half qt. remains if you let it get good and hot and drain it long enough. LOL, clean oil is usually the least of our problems anyway. Hard not to obsess though, I know!

EZ
Yeah....LOL, nothing like some good ol' obsessive compulsive disorder ! Thanks for the feedback...and now it off the work i go....3rd shift just blows ! L8r dude and thanks again !