Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil philosophy question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
RoadKingRon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil philosophy question

Recently I moved to using synthetic products. Much research was involved and my final choices were amsoil, redline, and mobil 1. All three seemed close enough in quality that it came down to price and ease of availability. I first checked price on amsoil and found that it was quite a hassle to track down a local retailer that had it readily available on the shelf. I only found on local indy that stocked it and it went for 12.99. Redline was much of the same, but never did find a local retailer that stocked the mc specific oil. I do prefer to buy locally if price is not a major issue. Mobil was easily available at a local auto zone for less that 9 a quart, so it was the easy choice.

the question is why is amsoil not mass marketed in major stores. as the original synthetic there should have been years to set up a retail network. You would think many large retailers would have approached amsoil and made some sort of offer. why would you continue to market a product that is much harder to get your hands on than your chief competitor mobil 1?

I as with many others are turned off by the sort of backyard business practices of what otherwise is an excellent product. Just cannot understand the thought behind the business end of it.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Default RE: Amsoil philosophy question

I think it comes down to profit margins. They have "Jobbers" who place it in wholesale or fleet accounts and in some retail outlets. I have seen it at Ace Hardware in Florida (individually owned franchises). I think they don't discount it enough to real retailers like Trak auto or Advance auto or others.

It sort of reminds me of the Amway pyramid but it is NOT a pyramid scheme.

As a result they have a sales force of dedicated, near religious sales people and discount users who pay for the priviledge to buy at their smallest wholesale discount.

EZ

Old 06-23-2007, 10:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

When I did the switch to syn.I was going to use MobilV-Twin.Well I could not find it local.Wally World and Autozone do not carry it around here.I ended up buying Amsoil at a mc accessory store near my work.It was like $9 something a qt.The store also had Mobil V-Twin but at $13.50 a qt. I said no way.
I could have bought the Amsoil for less thru a indy jobber but would have had to drive across town.Next time I will plan ahead and buy a case from the indy.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If you buy Amsoil at their online store then you can get it for less than $7/qt.

The NAPA stores around me all have Amsoil at their suggested retail price which I think is around $9/qt....

Old 06-23-2007, 10:48 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

After much reading here and elsewhere I am convinced that amsoil, redline, and mobil 1 are all exellent choices and far exceed any oil with an HD label on it.

I also prefer to be able to buy my oil when & where the mood strikes me so that makes Mobil 1 my oil of choice. As far as I'm concerned Amsoil is a botique oil marketed at a premium price by people that remind me of members of a religious cult.I shun them the same way I do the religious zealots that bang on my front door and try to force their brand of religion down my throat.

I think any of these oil companies could advertise a specific test under conditions which would make their product appear superior to the others. In the end, they are all excellent choices.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
RoadKingRon
Advanced

ORIGINAL: cHarley

After much reading here and elsewhere I am convinced that amsoil, redline, and mobil 1 are all exellent choices and far exceed any oil with an HD label on it.

I also prefer to be able to buy my oil when & where the mood strikes me so that makes Mobil 1 my oil of choice. As far as I'm concerned Amsoil is a botique oil marketed at a premium price by people that remind me of members of a religious cult.I shun them the same way I do the religious zealots that bang on my front door and try to force their brand of religion down my throat.

I think any of these oil companies could advertise a specific test under conditions which would make their product appear superior to the others. In the end, they are all excellent choices.
I tend to agree with most of what you said, although for the sake of politeness I wont make the religious cult comparison. I wonder how many consumers (me included) are turned off by the amsoil marketing practices as well as some of their advertising claims.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend anyone. But I think you are right in that many people are put off by pushy sales people regardless of what they are hawking. I'm tired enough of the amsoil dealer hype here to shop elsewhere (different product) because of it. I don't see Mobil, Redline, Royal Purple etc. using this forum to line their pockets.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

In 1972 Albert J Amatuzio founded AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants and created the worlds first API approved Synthetic Motor oil for use in Automobiles. At that time, the price of a quart of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil was $6.00. It was put on the shelves in Auto Parts Stores where it sat collecting dust. At that time petroleum Motor Oils where available for less that a dollar a quart. The sales people in the stores had little or no knowledge of synthetics and therefore, could not tell you why you should pay $6.00 a quart for this revolutionary new product.

AMSOIL nearly went under before it got started. It was decided that if the product was sold through a Dealer Network, where you had an individual well trained in presenting the benefits of Synthetics and why you should pay the $6.00 a quart, then the product would sell.

AMSOIL became a MLM ( Multi Level Marketing) and really took off. (Note: MLM is NOT a pyramid scheme. Pyramid Schemes are illegal in this country )

Today, Some 36 years later, AMSOIL has over 80,000 dealers nation wide who have built the company to what it is today. Recently Wal Mart approached AMSOIL and offered to buy millions of dollars worth of oil to sell nationwide in their stores. AMSOIL turned them down flat. In the words of Al Amatuzio himself, “ I told Wal Mart to go to hell.” To sell AMSOIL to Wal Mart would be turning my back on the 80,000 independent dealers that built this company to what it is today. That will NEVER happen.

Contrary to public opinion, AMSOIL is very easy to buy. Just go to www.amsoil.com and order it. If you would rather order by phone, the 800 number is on the web site.

AMSOIL also has a Preferred Customer Program where, for a $20.00 annual fee, you can buy all of the products wholesale. There are over 80 synthetic products and have recently added the complete line of Mothers Car Care Products, NGK plugs and wire sets and Trico wiper blades. Of course you can pay retail if you like. All orders will be shipped to your door buy UPS. As a preferred Customer, you have access to a Tech Service hot line for answers to any lubricant or filter questions you may have. Try that with Mobil.

As an Independent AMSOIL Dealer, I make a very good living selling AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants. I am proud to be associated with a company the still cares about the little guy. If AMSOIL where to sell to Wal Mart , with the quantities they would order, they would be able to dictate the price and then undercut the dealer network and put them all out of business. Once that was done then they would have AMSOIL by the throat and that would be the end of AMSOIL . But at least you would know where to buy it.

Hope that answers your questions

Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend anyone. But I think you are right in that many people are put off by pushy sales people regardless of what they are hawking. I'm tired enough of the amsoil dealer hype here to shop elsewhere (different product) because of it. I don't see Mobil, Redline, Royal Purple etc. using this forum to line their pockets.
Like this?

Quote:bear95252

In 1972 Albert J Amatuzio founded AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants and created the worlds first API approved Synthetic Motor oil for use in Automobiles. At that time, the price of a quart of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil was $6.00. It was put on the shelves in Auto Parts Stores where it sat collecting dust. At that time petroleum Motor Oils where available for less that a dollar a quart. The sales people in the stores had little or no knowledge of synthetics and therefore, could not tell you why you should pay $6.00 a quart for this revolutionary new product.

AMSOIL nearly went under before it got started. It was decided that if the product was sold through a Dealer Network, where you had an individual well trained in presenting the benefits of Synthetics and why you should pay the $6.00 a quart, then the product would sell.

AMSOIL became a MLM ( Multi Level Marketing) and really took off. (Note: MLM is NOT a pyramid scheme. Pyramid Schemes are illegal in this country )

Today, Some 36 years later, AMSOIL has over 80,000 dealers nation wide who have built the company to what it is today. Recently Wal Mart approached AMSOIL and offered to buy millions of dollars worth of oil to sell nationwide in their stores. AMSOIL turned them down flat. In the words of Al Amatuzio himself, “ I told Wal Mart to go to hell.” To sell AMSOIL to Wal Mart would be turning my back on the 80,000 independent dealers that built this company to what it is today. That will NEVER happen.

Contrary to public opinion, AMSOIL is very easy to buy. Just go to www.amsoil.com and order it. If you would rather order by phone, the 800 number is on the web site.

AMSOIL also has a Preferred Customer Program where, for a $20.00 annual fee, you can buy all of the products wholesale. There are over 80 synthetic products and have recently added the complete line of Mothers Car Care Products, NGK plugs and wire sets and Trico wiper blades. Of course you can pay retail if you like. All orders will be shipped to your door buy UPS. As a preferred Customer, you have access to a Tech Service hot line for answers to any lubricant or filter questions you may have. Try that with Mobil.

As an Independent AMSOIL Dealer, I make a very good living selling AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants. I am proud to be associated with a company the still cares about the little guy. If AMSOIL where to sell to Wal Mart , with the quantities they would order, they would be able to dictate the price and then undercut the dealer network and put them all out of business. Once that was done then they would have AMSOIL by the throat and that would be the end of AMSOIL . But at least you would know where to buy it.

Hope that answers your questions

Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
cwoodall
Advanced

Is there a place to put oil or lubricants in a 2007 Ultra Classic.........???

Sorry,Monday dry humor.....

CW

Quick Reply: Amsoil philosophy question