Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil philosophy question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil philosophy question

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
GLewis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go.

GLewis

Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

IF you try and find a dealer OR indy who has experienced a Harley engine failure due to the quality of the oil, you probably won't, ever!

Fact is, many of us obsess over oil because it is something about our bikes we "think" we can understand. It is our "mechanic in a can" so to speak.

Probably any correct weight quality synthetic will perform as well or so close as to be a negligible difference. Why syn? IMHO, just for the heat resistance and noise abatement IF it has that effect on your bike. I think the 10K between oil changers with Harleys are few and far between.

The difference between TV ads and actual sales pitches from an individual is the difference between Marketing and Salesmanship. IF you think they are the same thing YOU ARE NO SALESMAN!

Most TV and print ads, by their very nature, tout their products to the point of hype. That is to stir interest and consideration by the viewer/reader.

Salespeople need to carry that interest over to an actual purchase. Trying to do that via put downs and berating people questioning the "white paper", a pretty pompous term for an oil study anyway, shows a total lack of understanding of the basic methods of successful salesmen. Many salespeople sell snake oil. Just that most aren't so obvious as the Amsoil crew, IMHO.

Is it a good product? Yes! Is itmarketed well? Sometimes. Are many of the salespeople woefully lacking in the basics of salesmanship? Definitely AND that IS annoying to many.

EZ

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The selling of oil is like the selling of cars, the companies are always claiming theirs is better and there is ALWAYS a sale going on. Trying to see beyond the hype can get frustrating at times. I read a test report done by Caterpillar (been looking for it again and can't seem to find it). It appeared to be a good test, and it included the components of each oil. Pretty much greek to me since I do not know the benefits of having more or less magnesium, or any of the listed components/ingredients. So I take a practical approach. Use a major, recognized brand that is readily available, and change at recommended intervals. Oh hell, if you do that you can use Mazola, Wesson,Crisco, or any other major brand! Just read your user's manual!! I think the message here is for everyone to chillax (chill and relax!). Stop pushing ANY brand and start riding!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: GARY DYER

iclick, that's what it all boils down to. Major brand, price and availability.

PS: I'm curious on how many of the anti Amsoil - pro Mobil1 people are going to complain about all the pushy Mobil1 TV commercials bragging about how wonderful their "new" 5k,7.5k and 15k oils are. It seems Mobil is doing what Amsoil has been doing for 30+ years----telling the world how great their oil is and how you can now extend your change interval --and-- they're doing it on national TV(not Amsoil---they do it by word of mouth---just like Red Line).

This is exactly the point of the topic of this thread.

Mobil is PAYING for COMMERCIAL ad time to sell their product.

Amsoil dealers are here trying to ***** their products for FREE on a public forum. They should be paying to advertise here in the appropriate areas just like all the other legitimate product sponsors do.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

cHARLEY, if that's the cast then I agree. I haven't seen there posts. Are they actually advertising or just recommanding Amsoil?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Well, I finally foundone of thoseindependant oil tests that I posted on my other forum a while back. This is a completely non biased test, but I'm sure the anti Amsoil bunch will not believe it. When I find the other tests I will post them here too.
Amsoil was not always at the top of the charts(which nobody said they were), but did fairly well.
In Part 2 of the report it goes on to say "Incidentally, Amsoil did perform up to the test claims stated on its label."
I hope this puts to rest all the comments that all Amsoil tests are done by them and are all biased.

www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/

Again, I'm not saying it's the BEST. Just that it's as good as the others.
I do have one question for them. How come theydidn'thaveRed Line in their tests?
That's THE test I would like to see---Amsoil, Red Line and Mobil1 V-Twin.
How about we take up a collection here and fund our own tests---then we could put to bed All arguments once and for all. Maybe the members from the other forum would kick in too, just to stop all the bickering. Just dreaming, huh?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
floydpink
Tourer

I had an old timer tell me a little history of oil a while ago. He was saying that way back in the day, oil was changed once a year, max and sometimes less. Filters were nonexistent. Basically, the point was that today's oils are light ears ahead of yesterday's. Not just AMSOIL, but all oils. I agree that AMSOIL is one of the best but have a hard time accepting that it will outperform the other top oils when changed regularly.

Having spent the last 15 years in marketing, I have seen methods used in oil sales, mostly AMSOIL, that go against everything I have learned through experience as well as common sense.
I work for the largest lodging and hospitality in the world and although we certainly believe we are the best, we rely on our customer's experiences and word of mouth to do most of our advertising, along with worldwide advertising and brand placement in a way I feel is done with class.

I feel turned off.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Floyd, what methods does Amsoil use that go against everything you've learned and common sense?
I'm not being smart, I really would like to know. Maybe if I see it from another persons point of view I might be inclined to agree. All I've ever seen is basically the results of very costly tests. Many tests (Amsoils and independant)and first hand accounts of over the road truckers, racersand of course Amsoils own advertising. Maybe I'm missing something here, isn't advertising (hopefully trueful) suppose to make people go out and buy their product? Unless there are out and out lies I don't see a problem.

Did that old timer tell you how often he had to repair the motor or how big the clearences were?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

I would lie to ask a question. If a guy uses dino oil in his bike and rides it for 100k miles with no engine oil related problems, and another guy uses synthetic oil and rides his bike 100k miles with no oil related problems, which is the better performing oil? If you state that synthetics do this or that better, and both engines went the same distance then it doesnt seem to matter to the motor.And would'nt the extra cost of syn oil for 100k miles almost be equal to doing a top end job? inquiring minds need to know.,,,

Quick Reply: Amsoil philosophy question