Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil philosophy question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil philosophy question

This is just like the other forum I'm on. There are about 5 or 6 very anti Amsoil people out of thousands. They keep bringing up the pushy salesmen. Where are thes pushy salesmen? They don't come to your house and make you buy their oil---YOU have to call them or get on line to order. I am a dealer only because I use alot of oil. I also sell it to my HOG chapter members at COST ($28 a gal). I don't PUSH anyone---if they want to buy fine--- if not--fine. The other people kept saying there are only Amsoil test and no indy test---so I posted a couple last year(one was a motorcycle magazine) and guess what ---they still wouldn't believe it. Talk about a cult mentallity.
There is a web site(and I'm sure this guy has no company affiliation) that takes all the filters apart. Guess what Amsoil, Purolatorand a couple others have the best filtration.

They have such hatred (I still don't know why)for Amsoil. Probably because it is doing so damn well. One guy hated the salesman so much he said he would rather push his bike 10 miles rather than use Amsoil----does that sound like a sane person?
Even I would use H-D oil (which by all accounts is the least favorite oil) instead of pushing my bike any distance.
I bet these guys don't buy cars---those salesmen are really pushy.

I'm not saying Amsoil is the best, I'm saying it's just as good as any other well known brand name. It just has certain additives I find more appealing and the cost is better and more convienient since the warehouse is only 5 blocks from me. I can also buy Mothers products, Wix and Donaldson filters, Trico wiper blades and if I want, vitamins.

This is my first day on this forum and by the sound of such hatred I'm wondering if it was a wise move. I can see having a difference of opinion (Chevy vs Ford) but mostly it's good natured. To me it seems like it's a good thing everybody are miles apart.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]LOL, so Gary, how long you been a dealer?

I actually have used Amsoil for a long time and still do in some vehicles, just not my bike because I like Redline HD Shockproof and Amsoil doesn't market a 20/60 wt. oil.

I think you are overreacting to the fact that two or three Amsoil dealers here jump in on every thread about brands and do the "white paper" wiggle. It gets tiresome. IF you really look back, most have said Amsoil is a good product just don't like the marketing techniqes (put downs of other's opinions based on a company finaced and skewed testing program and literature) they always seem to want to employ here.

I'll repeat, Amsoil is good stuff BUT not the ONLY stuff, not hardly the most economically prudent to buy stuff AND CERTAINLY no better than Mobile one, Redline, Royal Purple, etc. for all practical purposes.

Welcome to the site, stick around.......or not....your choice.

EZ

Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree here with EZ2Rider, and love your interpitation "white paper" wiggle. LOL

Too many "dealers" here trying to convert everyone to amway...WOOPS I mean amsoil. I see Gary gets his vitamins at amway, I mean amsoil. Woops Keep slipping there.

I'm sure that that oil is up there on the list with all the others, It's just that people get tired of hearing the same "white paper" wiggle over and over again by the same dealers. If you look in the posts they reply to, it's only OIL posts. How can anyone come to a harley site with the expectations of only posting to sell their product?
I think you can see where this is going Gary.

Welcome to the site and PLEASE...not every post pushing oil, we have enough of them now.

Ride safe

Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoadKingRon
Recently I moved to using synthetic products. Much research was involved and my final choices were amsoil, redline, and mobil 1. All three seemed close enough in quality that it came down to price and ease of availability. I first checked price on amsoil and found that it was quite a hassle to track down a local retailer that had it readily available on the shelf. I only found on local indy that stocked it and it went for 12.99. Redline was much of the same, but never did find a local retailer that stocked the mc specific oil. I do prefer to buy locally if price is not a major issue. Mobil was easily available at a local auto zone for less that 9 a quart, so it was the easy choice.

the question is why is amsoil not mass marketed in major stores. as the original synthetic there should have been years to set up a retail network. You would think many large retailers would have approached amsoil and made some sort of offer. why would you continue to market a product that is much harder to get your hands on than your chief competitor mobil 1?

I as with many others are turned off by the sort of backyard business practices of what otherwise is an excellent product. Just cannot understand the thought behind the business end of it.
There are a few more options. First, consider Mobil1 15w50, which is every bit as good as the 20w50 VT and costs around $5/qt. at Walmart and almost any auto-parts store. Napa and Pep Boys sell Royal Purple, another high-quality synthetic, in this area and probably others, and I believe the 20w50 retails for around $8. I buy from a distributor for $5/qt. who delivers it to my door, but I consider myself fortunate.

If Mobil1 is the most accessible and least expensive for you, I would use it. It is an excellent product, just like all the others you mentioned. You can't go wrong with any of them, and I would buy according to price and availability.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I have always said any well known brand oil is perfectly allright to use. Way back I use to use Mobil 1. I even used auto oil(gasp) in my UJM's. I wouldn't give a crap about a companys selling technique, if the product was good---I'll buy it. On the other forum they don't allow someone (commercial)to sell anything. I haven't seen any of the posts you speak of by pushy Amsoil dealers so I can't comment on them. I know of 2 people that do the same thing with Red Line ---to them there is no other oil and of course they put down any kind of test that shows otherwise. I've been on other web sites where the tests have shown Mobil comming out on top. I think EVERY mfg will promote their product as better than brand x -----good or bad that's buisness.
I had proposed at the other forum to have an "Oil Info" FAQ at the begining. And just say "Use any well known 20/50 or 20/60 oil and change at recommended intervals and you can't go wrong. Buy what's convienient to you and fits your price range".

The other forum has people constantly asking oil questions (new members asking legitamet first time questions) The first 10 or so posts will mention Mobil, Red line, Motul etc. As soon as the first person mentions (not offers to sell) Amsoil, there are 5 or 6 people that will start with the hate posts. Why can't everyone just say I recommand such and such oil and leave it at that?

I understand saying the same thing over and over begins to get tiresome---I hear it from the other side too. And I don't buy their vitamins - - too expensive even for a dealer. LOL

As Rodney King once said "Why can't we all just get along"? And agree to disagree.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Discovery channel has been running a documentary titled "lubrication" a history.

It was well done as usual and explains the how and why of synthetics in understandable language. The founder of Amsoil was also given much credit and recognition for his contribution.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: GARY DYER

The other forum has people constantly asking oil questions (new members asking legitamet first time questions) The first 10 or so posts will mention Mobil, Red line, Motul etc. As soon as the first person mentions (not offers to sell) Amsoil, there are 5 or 6 people that will start with the hate posts. Why can't everyone just say I recommand such and such oil and leave it at that?
What some of us object too is hyperbole and superlatives without sufficient evidence to support the claims. "Best" is not usually appropriate in a broad context when describing oil by brand, and the best in one environment or category may not be so in another. On HDForums I don't see much "hate" perpetrated unless claims exceed reality, or at least exceed verifiable evidence. Amsoil exponents may catch heat more than others because of their enthusiasm and liberal use of superlatives, but that's part of the territory.

What's remarkable about threads that start out "What oil should I use?" is that invariably respondents state they use Brand X Supreme, or whatever, and it runs great. Fine, but Brand Y will likely work as well, and there is no objective means of determining which oil will work "best" overall in your engine. I believe the most rational means of picking an oil brand is to select from the major players based on price and availability.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 PM
floydpink
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many people would rather put dog **** in their bikes before AMSOIL based solely on awkward experiences with AMSOIL jobbers. Probably quite a few, and all of them probably realize AMSOIL is one heck of a good product that they would benefit by using.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

iclick, that's what it all boils down to. Major brand, price and availability.

PS: I'm curious on how many of the anti Amsoil - pro Mobil1 people are going to complain about all the pushy Mobil1 TV commercials bragging about how wonderful their "new" 5k,7.5k and 15k oils are. It seems Mobil is doing what Amsoil has been doing for 30+ years----telling the world how great their oil is and how you can now extend your change interval --and-- they're doing it on national TV(not Amsoil---they do it by word of mouth---just like Red Line).

Don't take what I just said about Mobil1 as being bad---it isn't---it's a very good oil. I'm just commenting on advertising. Don't all mfg's brag about how their product is better then the competition? Are the people that say Amsoil's tests are all lies going to say that all mfg's tests are lies because they show their product being better? Amsoil isn't doing anything different that any other mfg.

I'm waiting for anyone of these critics to disprove any of the test results that Amsoil has done. Their test even show Amsoil isn't the best in every catagory. At least they have done testing. Why aren't the other mfg's publishing any tests-----I'm sure they have done tests. Could it be that they show the same results? Just curious.
If I had a product and Company B came out with a test that showed their product as being better than mine, you can be damn sure I'll do tests too to show them wrong ---- if they are.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Cynic, I haven't seen that documentary. Do you know when it was on or is going to be on again? Two topics I really like to read about or watch is oil and filters.

Quick Reply: Amsoil philosophy question