Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

3 hole change to Redline - Neutral a bit harder to find

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:27 AM
SoCalMatt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 hole change to Redline - Neutral a bit harder to find

I just purchased a 2013 switchback about a month ago. It had 7700 miles on it when purchased and about 8300 now.

When I looked at the engine oil, it was dirty, and with no maintenance records available, I swapped out the fluids in all 3 holes. On advice of the salesperson at Cycle Gear, I went with Redline products in all 3 systems. I had originally planned to use Amsoil in engine and primary, and Redline in tranny, but they don't sell Amsoil at Cycle Gear and I just went with their suggestions. I used 20/50 in the engine oil, and the specific primary lubricant, and transmission lube with shockproof. If it matters, swapped out the oil filter for the K&N filter, and changed all 3 drain plug o-rings and the gasket on the derby cover.

Went for a ride today, and neutral seems a bit more challenging to find. This is one of those things that could be entirely in my head - or it could be more sensitive to find. On the other hand, going from gear to gear, there seems to be a little less "clunk" coming from the transmission on shift.

So what is the general thinking around here. Should I have used something different than I did, and would making the change to a different product now be worth it?

Old 11-26-2017, 03:20 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

2014 switchback here. I have used redline on all since the 1k fluid change. No issues at all. Neutral has always been a bit wonky on the switchbacks for some reason. Many people remark about it on the proboard forum. Nothing to be concerned with. Redline is a fine oil, Amsoil is a fine oil, heck even syn3 is fine. go with hat trips your trigger. As long as you are doing regular maintenance you should not have any issues related to the fluids your using.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalMatt (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:25 AM
SoCalMatt
Novice

Originally Posted by tgmotoman
Neutral has always been a bit wonky on the switchbacks for some reason. Many people remark about it on the proboard forum. Nothing to be concerned with.
Thanks for the reply - glad it's no big deal. Not to get too far off topic in a forum about oil, but is there any general wisdom regarding the issue of finding neutral, and ways to improve the situation?

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 841 Likes on 578 Posts

Not a Redline fan, i have tried it my BIL works for a very large distributor and i get it free. I tried it in the Trans and primary and hated it got it out after about 1k and back to Mobil1.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,083 Likes on 2,041 Posts

I really like the Mobil 1 75/90 gear oil in the tranny. Shifts nice and no problem finding neutral. As far as motor oil..any quality motorcycle specific oil changed at proper intervals would be just fine. Find one you like that is easy to get.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 AM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 57 Posts

Its not the oil , you need to adjust your clutch...swifty

Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You are talking first impressions, so ride it a bit more before doing anything. You will either adjust pretty soon, or decide that the clutch does indeed need adjustment. Every time we change something, we are likely to think the bike has also changed in some way. That's natural, is often true, but doesn't take long to get used to. Wait until you have second and third impressions!

SoCalMatt (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM
SoCalMatt
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
You are talking first impressions, so ride it a bit more before doing anything. You will either adjust pretty soon, or decide that the clutch does indeed need adjustment. Every time we change something, we are likely to think the bike has also changed in some way. That's natural, is often true, but doesn't take long to get used to. Wait until you have second and third impressions!
This is probably genuinely some of the best advice I've seen on a forum. Thanks for that, and will follow your advice.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SoCalMatt
This is probably genuinely some of the best advice I've seen on a forum. Thanks for that, and will follow your advice.
It's a bit like fitting a new set of tyres (just done that on two of my bikes). They handle quite differently, especially if the previous ones were well worn.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

First gear "clunk" and "hard to find" neutral are due to parasitic drag in the primary. Even though you have the clutch in, there is still too much friction between the parts (due to the thick oil and/or improper clutch adjustment) to allow the clutch plates to come to a complete stop.

Run this test:
>Place the bike on level ground
>Hold it in an upright position.
>Put the bike is first gear.
>Hold in the clutch and start the bike.
>If the bike lurches forward at all, you have parasitic drag.

Solutions:
1. Be sure the primary is not over-filled
2. Be sure the clutch is properly adjusted
Watch this video for instructions:

3. Use a JASO MA/MA2 rated oil in the primary; Mobile1 Racing 4T 10w40 works well for me.

4. For finding neutral, don't use your toe...slide your foot further under the shifter and gently lift with the top of your foot half way between your toe and ankle.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 11-29-2017 at 10:32 AM.
grbrown (11-29-2017)

Quick Reply: 3 hole change to Redline - Neutral a bit harder to find