Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Engine stalled oil light goes on

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Daniel Feyjoo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Tell us what the problem is, hard to pick it out from the original post...
Good morning I'm hoping I can get an answer. I was run off the road last week guy took a turn real wide had no choice but to go on grass very wet muddy bottomed out bike is fine cause magically cleaned it out still somewhat in certain areas was running OK a week later started it ran it for about 45 blocks started hesitating stalled oil light on Wouldn't start high to walk it home next day started cold No problems no light definitely something going on not sure what it could-be I'll admit this is my 1st Harley never worked on and before but I am mechanically capable don't really wanna pay a $100 per hour at my local Harley to troubleshoot something that May be simple

Old 08-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Daniel Feyjoo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Daniel Feyjoo
Good morning I'm hoping I can get an answer. I was run off the road last week guy took a turn real wide had no choice but to go on grass very wet muddy bottomed out bike is fine cause magically cleaned it out still somewhat in certain areas was running OK a week later started it ran it for about 45 blocks started hesitating stalled oil light on Wouldn't start high to walk it home next day started cold No problems no light definitely something going on not sure what it could-be I'll admit this is my 1st Harley never worked on and before but I am mechanically capable don't really wanna pay a $100 per hour at my local Harley to troubleshoot something that May be simple
2004 sportster custom 1200 3,700 miles on it

Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Daniel Feyjoo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by smitty901
Swapping parts will cost you a lot more in the long run.
First Check for codes if you are getting the light there will be one. It requires no special equipment to do so.
It could be a damaged Crank sensor also the code will likely give you a pretty good idea what is causing it.
Also year and model would help a lot.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:36 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Tell us what the problem is, hard to pick it out from the original post...
Originally Posted by smitty901
Swapping parts will cost you a lot more in the long run.
First Check for codes if you are getting the light there will be one. It requires no special equipment to do so.
It could be a damaged Crank sensor also the code will likely give you a pretty good idea what is causing it.
Also year and model would help a lot.
I am getting a much clearer picture now.
People here are willing to help.
Yes I saw the 2004 1200 Custom Sportster.
If the OP is not willing to take the time to explain clearly and specifically what is wrong, other than the copy and paste, I don't know why they should expect others to take the time to diagnose or troubleshoot for them.

So my advice is take it to the shop.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Daniel Feyjoo
4th Gear

I ended up taking to the shop and feel dumb. The oil light coming on and the recent event had me in search for the problem mode. Well I was out of gas and once put on reserve no prob I've only had this bike a few weeks. Never thought that could bethe problem. Thank you to all that reached out I see what you mean by coping and pasting I'll try and be detailed in future posts. On another note happy to ride this afternoon. Doooh