Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Confused with Amsoil policy

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Confused with Amsoil policy

It is not the Amsoil that is a problem; it is the way it is marketed. Try talking to a major Amway distributor or major distributor of Mary Kay cosmetics. You will find that the fervor over the product is the same. Amsoil is good, but it is not the penultimate product of its kind, as they would have you believe. The goal of every small distributor is to climb the ladder and become a major distributor with other distributors buying from them. Being a super cheer leader for the product is just about a requirement.
That does however turn many people off, and results in some what of a backlash or resistance to their over zealous marketing techniques.

Arcane

Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmmm........[sm=redx.gif]

Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

Bear, you guys are a constant amazement. Here we go yet again, point by point.

I have personally tried to help you with your choice of AMSOIL products and you are still wandering around stirring the pot.
Maybe he's trying to make a rational decision.

They are the finest Synthetic Lubricants in the world.
They are included in a list of he finest synthetic lubricants in the world.

That is undisputed by any of the Major Oil Companys.
Turn on your TV and within one hour you'll see 25 products claiming or alluding that they're the best at what they do. Competitors don't sue every time an exaggerated claim is made.

We've gone over the issues of why oil companies don't sue Amsoil for their aggressive and often exaggerated marketing statements, and I won't repeat them here. You point to the now-famous "White Paper" that was an "independent test" commissioned, designed, and paid-for by Amsoil--yet there are at least three other tests, all performed by motorcycle magazines--that show Amsoil to be an excellent product, but not the wonder oil depicted in the Amsoil tests or claimed by the Amsoil faithful. In fact, it was not #1 in any segment of these other tests. Again, it performed very well in all tests I've seen, which undeniably puts it among the better synthetic-oil alternative available. There is no objective measure I've yet seen that categorically labels Amsoil as the "best" oil for all people in all environmental conditions.

Don't you guys ever quit? Oil is not a religion, so use it and sell it if you like, but why not hold off on the hyperbole? Is that too much to ask?

I say this with no malace intended. "If you don't appreciate all the help you have been offered, just go buy your oil and leave the AMSOIL folks be."
So the OP doesn't bite into the Amsoil marketing scheme lock, stock, and barrel--so he's suddenly no longer a member of the loyal flock? Give him a break. He's trying to make a rational decision free of hype and impulsiveness.

Anybody ever notice how easy it is to get this guy/girls panties in a wad?[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Steve
The AMSOIL guy

Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

ORIGINAL: iclick

Bear, you guys are a constant amazement. Here we go yet again, point by point.

I have personally tried to help you with your choice of AMSOIL products and you are still wandering around stirring the pot.
Maybe he's trying to make a rational decision.

They are the finest Synthetic Lubricants in the world.
They are included in a list of he finest synthetic lubricants in the world.

That is undisputed by any of the Major Oil Companys.
Turn on your TV and within one hour you'll see 25 products claiming or alluding that they're the best at what they do. Competitors don't sue every time an exaggerated claim is made.

We've gone over the issues of why oil companies don't sue Amsoil for their aggressive and often exaggerated marketing statements, and I won't repeat them here. You point to the now-famous "White Paper" that was an "independent test" commissioned, designed, and paid-for by Amsoil--yet there are at least three other tests, all performed by motorcycle magazines--that show Amsoil to be an excellent product, but not the wonder oil depicted in the Amsoil tests or claimed by the Amsoil faithful. In fact, it was not #1 in any segment of these other tests. Again, it performed very well in all tests I've seen, which undeniably puts it among the better synthetic-oil alternative available. There is no objective measure I've yet seen that categorically labels Amsoil as the "best" oil for all people in all environmental conditions.

Don't you guys ever quit? Oil is not a religion, so use it and sell it if you like, but why not hold off on the hyperbole? Is that too much to ask?

I say this with no malace intended. "If you don't appreciate all the help you have been offered, just go buy your oil and leave the AMSOIL folks be."
So the OP doesn't bite into the Amsoil marketing scheme lock, stock, and barrel--so he's suddenly no longer a member of the loyal flock? Give him a break. He's trying to make a rational decision free of hype and impulsiveness.

Anybody ever notice how easy it is to get this guy/girls panties in a wad?[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Steve
The AMSOIL guy
But HE makes a LOT of sense and very valid / truthfull points too. He also doesn't beat his own drum

Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

First, I do run Amsoil and Im satisfied with it. Others have asked me if it helped stuff like noise, temp etc. and I have given them my observations.
I had to try hard to get my local guy to get it for me, I have a "thing" about ordering stuff, so I was not pressured into anything, I asked for it.
But, I am dismayed at the comments made to floydpink.....seemed a little harsh to me. I didnt see that floydpink was doing anything excpet trying to make a decision. If he decides to use whatever, let him use what he wants, period.
I have asked direction in this forum and got answers, sometimes I went with the suggestion, sometimes not, but I was never popped cause I went one way or another. If anybody gets tired of sending him answers, then just dont, but give him the right to make a decision without being critical.
Just my '02.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM
floydpink
Tourer

Thanks, but working in timeshare for 15 years has made me tough regarding salespeople.

It also prepared me for the type of people that are your buddy as long as you are a potential customer but drop you like a hot potato when you might not sign on the dotted line.

I learned more about oil before my first oil change than I will probably ever learn. I also learned, through some backchannel emails, how slippery AMSOIL reps can really be and they don't seem to ever break down. Shame on some, and thanks toa few.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:57 PM
easyriderone
Intermediate

I read these forums because sometimes you do find something useful. But to be honest most of it is funny. This oil for your bike area is one area that gets beat to death. Most good oils be it dino or synthetic will work just fine in your bike if you change your oil and filter on a regular basis and no I don't mean 10,000 miles. There a lot ofcrap about Harley not making their own oil. Well Harely 360 dino oil is a very good oil. Yes Harley doesn't make it but it is made to their specifications and a lot of us have used it for years (changing our oil every 2500 miles) with great results. For dino oil is has a pretty high flash pointthatseems to handle the heat well and with what it cost you should be able to afford to change you oil every 2500 to 3000 miles. I still know a lot of mechanics who recommend it. A lot of old timers won't run anything else. When I hear SYN 3 is junk in these forums how are they making that determination. I ran Syn 3 for thirty thousand miles in a bike when it first came out. The guy who has the bike now has another 40 thousand miles on it and has always use Syn 3. And no I didn't run it in all three holes. I believe you should use a seperateengine oil, gear oil and a primary oil. In all the years of riding I have never once had to add tranny oil or primary oil once the change was made. The specific amount goes in and when I drain it to change the same amount comes out. Castrol, Lucas, Bel Ray, Mobil, Amsoil, Spectro etc all make good oil, but if you are looking for one super oil that is really that much better then all the rest it aint' out there. Amsoil loves to flaunt their "independent" test and bearing wear test. For christ sake do you really think in their own test that another oil is going to come out on top. They are in the market to sell THEIR PRODUCT. yes they market a good product, but is it the best oil you can buy, get real. A while back I ask a veteran Harely mechanic if he had ever seen an engine failure or a engine break downthat could be contributed to the type of oil that was being usedor oil in general. He laugh, he said that was the oil companies way of making money, the fear factor. That in all of his years he had never seen an engine failure (other then lack of oil) that could be contibuted to oil. He went on to say just run a good quality oil and change it often, that's all you have to do. His oil of choice for his bike, Harely 360, because he gets a deal on it and because as a oldtimer he still like dino oil. Another guy I know works at a auto service center. He does not own a car, his only means of transportation is his bike. It is a little over two years old and has 55,000 miles on it. He changes his oil every 2500 miles. What type of oil does he use? Whatever oil the service center has on sell at the time, that's right car oil pumped straight out of the 55gallon drum. His filter is the one he can findon sellat the time. But he is adamant about that changing at 2500 miles thingand the bike just keeps right on running.

I realizeI am going to get a lot of responses to this post, probably **** a lot of people off. Oh well. My motto is you pay your money you make your choice. As for myself losing sleep over what kind of oil I run ain't going to happen. I keep it changed, filled to the mark and just ride.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
floydpink
Tourer

That was very insightful and knowlegeable as well as unbiased and believeable. If it pisses anyone off, they have an agenda.

Normally I would be pissed off at starting a thread like this and getting replied to like bear did.

If you scroll to the top, I was already convinced that AMSOIL was right for me and would probably have used it in my cars as well. My intention of the thread was to clarify the benefits of being a "preferred customer" as I didn't see the savings after being charged 20 bucks for the priveledge of being a preferred customer. In my business you become elite, platinum or other designations by using our product frequently, not paying a joiners fee. In this case, I am preferred because I paid 20 bucks. Who gets the 20 bucks.....???

Another issue that made me a little leary of AMSOIL, was one of their supposed top guys telling me to check out a similar board to this called vtwinforum and said how good itwas. I checked it out and it looked very similar to this one. I figured, what the heck, I'll sign up. I get an email asking for 15 bucks for the right to post on their forum. This is the same day i get asked for 20 bucks to be a preferred AMSOIL customer as well as offered to be a dealer in something I never tried or didn't know **** about.

I came to post freely in a supposedly unbiased forum and ask people I respect their opinions as there are people here riding longer than i have lived.

To some, I had no right doing this as they had already told me AMSOIL is the best in the world and that should resolve any doubt I may have.

Sorry if you consider that wandering around stirring the pot Mr Bear, but you can take your AMSOIL and shove it, regardless of how good it is.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This kind of reply IMO is uncalled for. Do you feel that you give your opinion on an oil that you sell and people should rush to buy it ? Amsoil is only one of many oils that are considered good oils but I wouldn't use it because of this type of replies from the dealers that are trying to brainwash or pressure others into using the product. I also can't see paying a fee to save some money. Most people aren't interested in becoming dealers but may be interested in using the product. Amsoil dealers and jobbers should not be so forcefull in trying to promote their product and maybe more people would try the product. As far as the claims made above thatAmsoil is the best oil, I think they are overstated and rely on the white pages that the company flogs on the dealers to back up their juvenile claims.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:27 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the problem with having a introductory offer of being a preferred dealer for your first 6 months... after your first initial purchase with one of the AMSoil dealers? It gives you a discount on all purchases after that initial purchase(testing it out).. for 6 months. You don't have to renew....

So if you like it, and you didn't buy enough for the next year or so.. then go ahead and stock up with the discount.

WTF, that isn't enough to bitch and moan constantly about AMSoil preferred dealer thing for the first 6 months.... LOL you ch'tn me... have some f'n cheese with your whine and use your local ExxonMoible1 product or your Lucas or Syn3 or your k-mart special dino oil. Leave AMSoil to people who like it or might want to try it.

Quick Reply: Confused with Amsoil policy