Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil filter stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016 | 07:05 PM
cgsiluk
|
Intermediate
Default Oil filter stuck.

I had iron pony do my oil last time and today when trying to loosen it I had no luck. I watch many videos from screw driver going through, different wrenches and special tools. I went back out and tried again with oil filter wrench. I tried enough that the filter Holder was just spinning around the filter. I seen a old tee shirt that I was wiping my hands with them something clicked! I lined, layed flat, the tee shirt with the filter Holder. I made the grip much tighter and came off nicely. It was on so well that I had to use a hammer and screw driver to disconnect the Holder from the filter once removed. Maybe this can help someone out there.

Old 06-19-2016 | 08:22 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Oil filter pliers for removal and never let anyone else work on your bike.

Old 06-20-2016 | 05:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Well done for defeating the dark forces! Those things should only be lightly tightened when installing them. I have used various instruments of torture over the years, for removing them, and have been happy with the square drive cup type.

Old 06-20-2016 | 05:57 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

After using a strap wrench for a few decades I finally broke down and bought the filter wrench that goes on the ratchet extension and the filter comes off like butter. This way I don't have to remove the voltage regulator from the Softie for every oil change.

Last edited by Hey Man; 06-20-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2016 | 06:16 AM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member

Glad it worked out for you
Thin coat of oil on the o ring and don't over tighten...

Old 07-10-2016 | 08:29 PM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Oil filter pliers for removal and never let anyone else work on your bike.
this. I just did a fluids change today, and I was saying no end of bad words about the Harley dealer "tech" who put on the oil filter. Oil filters don't need to be torqued down to 400 ft-lbs.

I went with a K&N which has a 17mm hex on the end of the housing.

Last edited by jz78817; 07-10-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2016 | 05:17 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jz78817
this. I just did a fluids change today, and I was saying no end of bad words about the Harley dealer "tech" who put on the oil filter. Oil filters don't need to be torqued down to 400 ft-lbs. I went with a K&N which has a 17mm hex on the end of the housing.
This also! I haven't let a so called 'expert' touch my bike in 15000 kms. I use a K&P Engineering reusable filter. Just did my 3rd oil change this weekend and with just a light smear of clean oil on the gasket, hand tight plus a quarter turn, it takes no more than light pressure to remove it and no leaks yet. As NomadMax said, don't let anyone else work on your bike!!

06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H 2-2, K&N AC, P&P heads, SEPST

Old 07-11-2016 | 06:48 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jz78817
this. I just did a fluids change today, and I was saying no end of bad words about the Harley dealer "tech" who put on the oil filter. Oil filters don't need to be torqued down to 400 ft-lbs.

I went with a K&N which has a 17mm hex on the end of the housing.

Just be sure to use a good, 6 point socket on that K&N. If you look closely you'll see the "nut" comes factory pre-rounded off. Use a sloppy fitting or 12 point socket & you may well be the next stuck filter poster.

Not sayin' how I know this...

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
jz78817 (07-11-2016)
Old 01-13-2019 | 04:10 PM
roadkiller99
6th Gear
Default Oil Filter STUCK BAD

Originally Posted by cgsiluk
I had iron pony do my oil last time and today when trying to loosen it I had no luck. I watch many videos from screw driver going through, different wrenches and special tools. I went back out and tried again with oil filter wrench. I tried enough that the filter Holder was just spinning around the filter. I seen a old tee shirt that I was wiping my hands with them something clicked! I lined, layed flat, the tee shirt with the filter Holder. I made the grip much tighter and came off nicely. It was on so well that I had to use a hammer and screw driver to disconnect the Holder from the filter once removed. Maybe this can help someone out there.
" not my bike" If your oil filter is put on so tight or no lube on the seal here is a way to get it off. Drill three holes in the oil filter put three self tapping screws into the oil filter. Apply some heat on the seal side of the filter and left hand muscle done.

Old 01-13-2019 | 09:39 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I watched a video where a guy had one so stuck he had to drill a few self tapping screws through one of those tools that slip over the filter an attach to a ratchet an into the filter. Good tip though.

Quick Reply: Oil filter stuck.