Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Is Amsoil PAO?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:06 AM
davidm021
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Amsoil PAO?

Does anyone know if Amsoil is a PAO based oil, Group lV and not Group III? I would think if it was Amsoil would want everyone to know it is truly synthetic and not something that is based on petroleum out of the ground and has been modified. Below is off their FAQ page and I find it suspicious they don't want to say for "proprietary reasons". Why wouldn't they say it is? I don't care if some lawyers were able to redefine what synthetic oil is, if I'm spending $11+ for a quart for synthetic oil I want synthetic oil.

What kind of base stocks does AMSOIL use? Are AMSOIL synthetic lubricants PAO-based?
Answer: AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,426 Likes on 5,021 Posts

I think you are just trying to sneak some amsoil propaganda onto the forum.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM
davidm021
Intermediate

Not at all. I've been using Amsoil in my cars, bikes, snowmobiles and truck for over ten years. I've always thought it was synthetic oil defined the way most people think 'synthetic' is, completely formulated oil. Not regular petroleum with a few molecules changed with some additives thrown in. From joining this forum I just learned there are different 'groups' (definitions) of synthetic oil and Amsoil declines to clarify what group their oil is in. Why?? I also learned by law in Europe synthetic oil is what we think it is. But in the US petroleum based oil can be defined as 'synthetic' with some alterations.

Asking if Amsoil is a Group III or Group IV synthetic oil is not an unreasonable question

Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Posting a cut and pasted propaganda article for amsoil is spam, pure and simple.

The company that sells the oil won`t say, so you think you are going to find someone on the internet with telepathic qualities who can tell you, maybe someone with a crystal ball?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 PM
davidm021
Intermediate

Dude, it's not an article. It's a question and answer that is on Amsoil's Frequently Asked Question page on the their own friggin website. I cut and pasted it to show people what I'm talking about, they won't answer whether it's a PAO oil or not. I thought someone here might know more about synthetic oil than me. If Amsoil won't say do you have another way I can find out without asking on a forum? Do you know if it is or not? If so then give it up. You a distributor for them or something because your biases are obvious. If it's a Group IV oil I'll continue using it. If not I won't. What's the problem with that?

Old 06-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davidm021
You a distributor for them or something because your biases are obvious.
Nonsense.

I don`t use or sell the stuff.

I think paying over 5 bucks for a quart of oil is nuts, there`s my Bias....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-16-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:38 AM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 57 Posts

Not to be a smart *** or anything but I have wondered about this also, with amsoil and mobil one!!!

I think I read it some place that mobil one use group 3 and 4 oils as a base. not sure with amsoil?????

Old 06-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I have a cousin who's married to a guy that had a brother in law who worked in the oil industry.

He said Amsoil is a pyramid scheme

Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by swifty
I think I read it some place that mobil one use group 3 and 4 oils as a base. not sure with amsoil?????
You see what I mean?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

everything I have read that amsoil and schaeffers are both type 4 synthetics whereas mobile and harley syn3 are type 3.

Quick Reply: Is Amsoil PAO?