Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

RED LINE OIL

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 AM
gsparesa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RED LINE OIL

Ted, my father-in-law, built his own dyno machine to test racing engines about 5 to 10 years ago. It's the type of dyno that has the flywheel connected to something that looks like a huge water pump, which is connected to a water tank. It's computer controlled and measures things like BHP, RPM, TEMP, torque and other heavy sh*t. Basically it maps the crap out of the engine while he loads it with the water pump, that way we can tune and test the motors. The graphs that get printed are very impressive. One day he and his racing associates decided to test oils in a race motor to see the difference. He told me they were surprised with the data they collected. He told me that some motor oils actually gave better HP. Mobile 1 was on the top of this list. Red line was near the bottom. There were others, like Castro synthetic I believe that was as good as Mobil 1.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
sidewinder
Cruiser

Seems like there is controversy in all opinions.... except one. Some say Amsoil, some say syn 3, some say redline, some say Mobil 1. Only one I hear constant agreement on is Mobil 1. That is what I am switching to. Nobody ever has anything bad to say about Mobil 1. I have always used Amsoil with great results, but I have never heard anything negative about Mobil 1. If I am wrong please advise. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 AM
warrenrx
Intermediate

I have never heard bad things about Mobil 1 myself and currently have changed my bike over to it also. Though I have been too lazy to change my profile to say differently. Perhaps laziness is why it took me so long to switch. I have always used it in all my cars, without any problems Two vehicles have over 200K miles and are still on the road. These vehicles have been road hard, and put up wet ever time they hit the street. Services have been few and far sometimes between. Some cars and bikes I have changed on a perfect 3000 mile schedule, others I have run 5000, 7000+ miles when driving short distance all the time (10 miles or less back and forth to work). I have used Mobil 1 in bikes in the past including my Hayabusa and it did just perfect. I look at what I write and the results I have had in the past and ask why should I even believe what I read. I shouldn't. I should only believe what I have proven myself over and over again. If I do that Mobil 1 would be the only oil I would ever use again. That is from 17 years of test riding and oil changes with todays dino and synthetics. I think I have answered my own question. MOBIL 1 , not to mention it super duper easy to find and you can even find it on sundays (wiithout shipping LOL) at Walmart, and autozone.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

25 years as a professional mechanic has taught me three important things about oil-
1) It's hard to get a "bad" oil these days.
2) Changing the oil at the OEM recommended change intervals is more important than what brand you use.
3) Most people's actual knowledge about oil is limited to how to pour it into the engine.

Redline caused "horrible wear and burning"? I seriously doubt it. If Redline had a reputation fo such poor performance it would hardly be as popular within the racing community as it is. And considering Mobil 1 is a Group IV synthetic and Redline is a Group V, I'd have to ask anyone making such claims for proof which, I'd bet the farm, cannot be produced.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Just a comment on the Redline causing engine wear. Redline makes racing specific oils, as well as oil for "drivers".

The racing oil, because it is designed for short duration use, is made without the detergents used in the MC and other drivers oils.

Redline is a class V synthetic and, IMHO, there is NO F'n way it is tearing up engines!!!!!!!

I have ten K on two Redline 20/60 changes AND there is NO evidence of wear, not even on the drain plug magnet. Even Amsoil had some evidence there.

I call BS!

EZ[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to redline 20w60 asap

Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gsparesa

I've used SYN 3, Mobil 1 V-twin, Amsol and Redline. I could not honestly tell you which motor oil is best for you or even myself. I am presently using Redline Shock-proof in the transmission and Redline 20W-50 in the crank case. I was talking to my father-in-law, who has been racing for years, the other day about motor oils. I told him what I've tried in both my wife's bike ('05 Road Glide) and my bike ('04 Ultra). I told him that I thought the Redline made my engine sound quiter than the rest. He told me to quickly dump that "Redline ****" out of our bikes and use Mobile 1. When I asked him why?, he told me of engine re-builds that he and his racing friends have performed on various engines that used Redline. He spoke of the horror in wear and burning that they found to various engines parts in engines that used Redline. He was adament about using Mobil 1 in protecting his daughters and my investments. I asked him which Mobile 1 would he suggest, the gold cap 15W-50 or the V twin 20W-50 variety. He said either would be a better oil to use than the Redline. My father-in-law presently has cars in the Formula Atlantic and D sports divisions of the SCCA.
Not that I believe that the Red Line oil was the cause of engine failure in your FI's engine(s), but you must realize that we are talking about to very different worlds.... comparing a H-D air cooled 45* v twin MC engine to a SCCA or Formula power plant, and their respective lubrication needs.
FWIW....I just ordered the Red Line "Big Twin 20w50 Power Pack" from Racer Parts Wholsale......and I am self admittedly totally **** when it comes to maintaining my engines.....from lawn mowers to my turbo charged Volvo, and everything in between!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biz 44,
Nice looking puppy, spitting image of my 4 year old female.