Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

RED LINE OIL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RED LINE OIL

Oh! I get it. Maybe you should spank 'em. Rumor has it you're into that kinda thing. Pat

Old 10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
RICBME
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I purchase Redline?

Old 10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

You can get the redline here http://www.myoilshop.com/MotoPrds.html

Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shockproof Heavy Duty in my 5-speed also. You can check locally for the lube also, found mine at the HD dealer.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
ultravista
Road Captain

I think I'm moving towards Redline for the next tranny oil change. With an unlocated (minor) leak, that may come sooner than later ...

Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline....20-50w engine.
Redline....MTL primary
Redline....Shockproof heavy tranny.

I researched it, used it, like it, and will use it again, in fact I already have stocked up for the next fluid change.

WB

Old 11-13-2005, 01:11 PM
gsparesa
Tourer

I've used SYN 3, Mobil 1 V-twin, Amsol and Redline. I could not honestly tell you which motor oil is best for you or even myself. I am presently using Redline Shock-proof in the transmission and Redline 20W-50 in the crank case. I was talking to my father-in-law, who has been racing for years, the other day about motor oils. I told him what I've tried in both my wife's bike ('05 Road Glide) and my bike ('04 Ultra). I told him that I thought the Redline made my engine sound quiter than the rest. He told me to quickly dump that "Redline ****" out of our bikes and use Mobile 1. When I asked him why?, he told me of engine re-builds that he and his racing friends have performed on various engines that used Redline. He spoke of the horror in wear and burning that they found to various engines parts in engines that used Redline. He was adament about using Mobil 1 in protecting his daughters and my investments. I asked him which Mobile 1 would he suggest, the gold cap 15W-50 or the V twin 20W-50 variety. He said either would be a better oil to use than the Redline. My father-in-law presently has cars in the Formula Atlantic and D sports divisions of the SCCA.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
roadking1327
6th Gear

My personal experience with redline shockproof heavy weight gear oil has been very frustrating. Everything I have used it in has eventually leaked oil. This oil was used in my BMW's trans and also in my current 05 Roadking transmission. This oil will make your trans shift like no other oil. Very smooth and has a "Dampened" effect when shifted. The common net result in my experience and always been leakage. This oil is rated as a 75w250 viscosity. My opinion is this is to thick for HD transmissions. I just had my gearbox resealed by my dealer and he advised me not to use this oil for this same reason. Oil was leaking past the shifter and output shaft seals. Dealer said very unusual to see two seals leaking on a 05 gearbox. I switched to Mobil 1 75w90 and put another 5000 plus miles and have had no problems.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:15 PM
roadking1327
6th Gear

My personal experience with redline shockproof heavy weight gear oil has been very frustrating. Everything I have used it in has eventually leaked oil. This oil was used in my BMW's trans and also in my current 05 Roadking transmission. This oil will make your trans shift like no other oil. Very smooth and has a "Dampened" effect when shifted. The common net result in my experience and always been leakage. This oil is rated as a 75w250 viscosity. My opinion is this is to thick for HD transmissions. I just had my gearbox resealed by my dealer and he advised me not to use this oil for this same reason. Oil was leaking past the shifter and output shaft seals. Dealer said very unusual to see two seals leaking on a 05 gearbox. I switched to Mobil 1 75w90 and put another 5000 plus miles and have had no problems.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thing about Redline..
I was just at the dealer and asked the svc mgr, if I didn't want to spend the time on doing the 5k, would he fill it in with the mobil 1 VTwin and Shockproof Heavy that I have. He stated "sure, we'll put whatever you want in there".. Which I thought was pretty cool.. I'm one of the fortunate ones to have a pretty cool dealership and fairly good pricing for service (I'm seeing compared to some of you poor guys).

When we talked about Redline, I was told also they use the Redline exclusively on their race bikes (These are top fuel draggers, I think, based on VRod frames).. Though Redline is actually a sponsor, so the oil is a perk.. But I'm sure that perk or not, they'd only use oil they believe in for these big-dollar dragsters so there's gotta be something to their product, IMO.

Quick Reply: RED LINE OIL